Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 03:56 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolHouseRock View Post
Yes, if I'm watching TV I don't want to have to crank up the volume because of the noise going on in the kitchen.
My DH could have written that. Or the other scenario - I'm banging around in the kitchen and he's trying to watch TV, so he chooses that time to watch a game he's got taped where he can mute the sound. Then he can turn down his hearing aids so he can stand to be within clanging range of the kitchen. Then when we go to eat he can't hear a word I'm saying because he's forgotten to turn them up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 03:30 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Toured a number of homes in Del Webb type retirement communities. Exploring our options, so to speak.

Every single one had an open concept floor plan with one decent bedroom/bathroom, and some combination of far smaller bedrooms, bathrooms, dens, and offices.

With the tv in the same room as the kitchen, I get to listen to sportscasters drone on endlessly about stats I care nothing about and people I don't know.

He doesn't like to wear headphones in his own home in order to listen to a college football game. He's tried it and he doesn't like it.

I don't care for it much either. The sudden shouting and swearing gets on my nerves.

Which means that one on us will be hanging out in either the bedroom, or one of the dinky dens/offices/second bedrooms.

Since I'm the one who cooks, ...

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 04-26-2021 at 04:02 AM..

Old 04-26-2021, 09:44 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Is it possible the dishwasher needs replacing? I’m asking legit not trying to be snarky, but our dishwasher is so quiet I can’t even tell it’s on. I’ve accidentally opened it before when the wife had it running, whoops, thank god it was the dry cycle and it wasn’t water everywhere! I should have looked more carefully. We don’t have those issues though with 2 people really as far as anyone trying to do something in the kitchen when another is watching. I have an 85” in the living room with 7.1 surround, if I want to drown out noise, I can drown out noise! It’s about a $6,000 system lol. But if I want to be elsewhere the game room just off the lower floor has two more 75” TVs and another 7.1 system, so it wouldn’t be an issue ever someone making noise in the kitchen. I love being able to go grab my water or drink and not miss a second of a sports event. It would be super annoying if it wasn’t open, then I couldn’t even see the TV from the kitchen.
That depends on how upmarket of a dishwasher one has.

Mine is rather loud, but it was brand new when we bought the house (which is why they bought the cheapest one.) Home Depot says it's 63 dba. One doesn't have to spend tons of money to get one that's under 45 dba, it's a difference between a $400 dishwasher and a $800 dishwasher. Twice as much, yes, but they run for years and years. I only remember my parents replacing theirs when they redid the kitchen.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:59 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
I guess none of the people who love those big empty barns owns an upright piano. Can't put them out in the middle of the room - the back is ugly. I guess none of them owns much artwork either - between the wall space used for windows and the wall space used for kitchen cabinets and the wall space used for giant nonfunctional fireplaces, there's not much wall space in the barn.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:16 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I guess none of the people who love those big empty barns owns an upright piano. Can't put them out in the middle of the room - the back is ugly. I guess none of them owns much artwork either - between the wall space used for windows and the wall space used for kitchen cabinets and the wall space used for giant nonfunctional fireplaces, there's not much wall space in the barn.
I have a ton of wall stuff, and a lot of my walls are still empty.

Why do people get all judgy? If you like separate rooms - great! If you like open floor plans - great!!

Everyone likes different things, that shouldn't be a surprise.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-26-2021, 10:29 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
The reason those of us who don't want to live in a supersized efficiency apartment get riled up about this, is that new houses aren't being built with separate rooms, and the first thing the flippers do when they get hold of an old house, right after they paint the brick white, is to knock down a whole bunch of walls. So actually finding and buying a house with walls is not that easy.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:32 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,885 times
Those poor, poor tens of thousands of people with upright pianos and nowhere to go!

Old 04-26-2021, 11:20 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Those poor, poor tens of thousands of people with upright pianos and nowhere to go!
I have a 5'9'' grand piano and a pipe organ . The 24 x 24 room with fireplace in the middle works for me. :-)

Old 04-26-2021, 11:33 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Do you have any idea how narrow minded and silly you sound every time you refer to other people's houses as "barns"? Any possible point you might have made has been erased by this rudeness.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:44 AM

9,080 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Do you have any idea how narrow minded and silly you sound every time you refer to other people's houses as "barns"? Any possible point you might have made has been erased by this rudeness.
Barns are cool and should not be used as an insult. Open concept should be referred to as caverns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate