Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 08:15 PM

243 posts, read 268,334 times

Advertisements

I hate open concept, it’s just a trend and will die out eventually (already started). I prefer houses built in the 80s and 90s. I don’t like new stuff or things older than the 1980s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 08:26 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Open concept has been around for a very long time and is not dying out. The peak HGTV trendiness may be wanting, but open concept is alive and well and will continue to be for a long time.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:21 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
My friend sold her conventional home for new construction and open concept. She misses the ability to reduce her heating and cooling bills by closing off areas she is not using. If its open - you need to heat or cool the whole thing.

I can see couples with small children liking open concept. Its easier to cook and do chores and still keep an eye on the kids. Perhaps if you truly do entertain ALOT, then it may be beneficial as well.

I cook, and I like my food flavorful. The aromas of garlic, onion and spices are pronounced in my kitchen. Im happy I can set up a fan in the hall outside the kitchen and keep those strong odors away from my couch and wing chairs, lol.

To each his own, but there are some drawbacks to open concept, and I think its truly a family specific trend that isn't for everyone.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:16 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Flowing and flexible with out boxy, enclosing rooms? Sure! Victorian homes look great on the outside. Not so much on the inside.

The Craftsman homes of the 1900s to 30s had this layout. They are the first people centered homes. Built for functionality and comfort - not to impress the neighbors.

I can't imagine anyone needing a more open floor plan than a Mid Century Modern ranch, with a central, double sided fireplace.

"Open concept" should be called "open floor plan". It isn't a concept, it's a home layout. Even the name annoys me.

If someone does not want walls, they should look at re-purposed barns and lofts. They are a good option.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:15 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
What was my typo?
now the chickens are coming home to roast

Roost, not roast! They wouldn't come home if they knew they were going to roast, lol

Old 03-24-2019, 09:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
ok? You are extremely sensitive to a stranger's opinion on the internet.
I thought sunbather's post was well thought out and reasonable.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Open concept, and especially two story greatrooms are critical for people who will be buying lot of these:

https://www.amazon.com/SkyRover-Libe...79360414&psc=1

Just move out when your kids grow out of them and before wind loads start buckling that greatroom wall.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:26 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
There is also a lot of context missing. We currently live in an 800 ft2 studio apartment and we are under contract on a 2 bedroom 1000 ft2 house in urban Dallas. An open floor plan (kitchen, dining, living/entertainment) with just the bedrooms and bathroom closed off is the best use of space for us. At that size home, walls are often just eating up usable floor space (it eats up a lot more than just the footprint of the wall itself. If you are someone who wants a formal living room, and formal dining room etc. closed off from other areas of the home, you're probably also someone who wants a larger home period. So just keep that in mind if you are having a hard time understanding why people would enjoy open floor plans - you probably have a very different approach to dwellings than those people.

And as stated before, we are currently in a studio and have been for 3 years. Previously she lived in studios in NYC and I have also lived in studios and open lofts previously. The so called 'pitfalls' that others find with open floor plans are nothing new to us. I think the issue for some people is that their lifestyle and style are not compatible with open floor plans, yet they see it in a magazine or on HGTV, view it as cool and trendy and want to have it and then and flock to that without thinking about how they would personally actually live in that. If they are someone that keeps a messy kitchen, or a couple with no kids now who has kids in 2 years etc. they may realize that the open floor plan is not something that works for them personally. For us, we have both done it for years and still prefer it. I've even owned a more traditional home for several years, which just confirmed that I am someone built for small and open.

And PS, we host dinner parties and cocktail parties in our current studio apartment frequently (she loves to cook - i'm terrible at cooking but make the drinks!). Run your exhaust hood the whole time and let it do the best it can and the rest is what it is. We don't mind the place smelling like dinner for an hour or two. I can understand if others disagree.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:43 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
There is also a lot of context missing. We currently live in an 800 ft2 studio apartment and we are under contract on a 2 bedroom 1000 ft2 house in urban Dallas.
As much as I dislike open concept, I have to agree with this. A friend has an old house that had the first floor opened up many years ago, and at 900 sq ft spread out over 2 floors, it looks fine. It would have only been 2 rooms realistically anyway, though local legend says at one point there were 4 tiny rooms downstairs.

On the flip side, 3000sq ft and up is just a little too open in my experience. And that's what's happening to many houses in my area now.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:30 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I'm only bitter because too many traditional houses in my area have been ruined by the trend. Ripping out walls is fairly easy. Replacing them is a lot more costly and at that point, you've lost original plaster and architectural features - in a house that sellers think is worth a fortune because of all the work they did on it.
Yes, opening up an old house often requires losing pocket doors, built in hutches and original charm. I'm NOT a fan of that at all. If you want open concept leave older homes alone. They were never meant to be that way. There's plenty of new builds that will satisfy your taste. I don't in any way agree with taking down walls for "sightlines" in a historic house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate