Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 12:03 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
The reason those of us who don't want to live in a supersized efficiency apartment get riled up about this, is that new houses aren't being built with separate rooms, and the first thing the flippers do when they get hold of an old house, right after they paint the brick white, is to knock down a whole bunch of walls. So actually finding and buying a house with walls is not that easy.

Yeah, well I didn't like farmhouse chic or the cool grey tones being done. I never thought to rail against it, and be judgy of people who do.

Add walls if you want, buy an older home, or build your own.

I just don't understand why people who don't like something, have to put down people who do.

Does putting other people down make them feel better?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 12:28 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
...Add walls if you want, buy an older home, or build your own....
Yep, standard unresponsive response. I and others have explained why the first two aren't realistic in most cases. Few people want to give up 2 years of their lives to building a custom house - if you can even find a lot to buy.

Oh well, I come from a long-lived family and I'll probably see the fad for no interior walls fade and be replaced by something else.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:35 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:

Oh well, I come from a long-lived family and I'll probably see the fad for no interior walls fade and be replaced by something else.

Yes. Thus is life.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-26-2021, 12:35 PM

10,303 posts, read 6,832,149 times
The current trend here, is still a "great room."

Yesterday, I toured KB homes project in Valley Center, Ca. (Starting in high 600's, btw.)

Kitchen was integrated into "great room" in all 3 plans. (All single story, btw.)

One thing that puzzled me was listed as "FLEX" room. It was fairly large, too. This was in addition to a great-room.

I'm guessing the piano/ping pong/billiards/hobby or other use room would go here.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:42 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,860 times
Quote:
Yep, standard unresponsive response.
The fact you don't like it does not make it unresponsive.

Build your own house.

Or buy an open concept house and put the walls back in.

Just like the people did who prefer open concept...buy other houses and spend more $$$ opening them up.

Circle of life.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:53 PM

119 posts, read 59,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

Yesterday, I toured KB homes project in Valley Center, Ca. (Starting in high 600's, btw.)

Kitchen was integrated into "great room" in all 3 plans. (All single story, btw.)

One thing that puzzled me was listed as "FLEX" room. It was fairly large, too. This was in addition to a great-room.

I'm guessing the piano/ping pong/billiards/hobby or other use room would go here.

"Flex" room sounds like a great place for the man cave. That's where I'd be. Let everyone else use the "great room" and listen to the banging pots and pans in the kitchen.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:29 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
That's a weird take. Lots of people entertain on a regular basis.
Maybe, but I think the idea still holds. Many people I know buy a house, and other things, based on a fantasy lifestyle they don't actually have or even really want when it comes down to it. My ex bought a pickup truck once to hold his equipment for the biking and kayaking he decided he was going to do. He never got around to doing any of that, but he did buy some clothes to wear in case he ever DID do that stuff! LOL!

Old 04-27-2021, 03:36 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

If the house has a great room, as opposed to a formal living room and a separate family room, then a flex space can be used to separate the kid space from the adult space for things like watching tv. Or used as an office or playroom or teen hangout, or whatever else people want to do without cluttering up the main living area or being around the rest of the family.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:45 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
That's a weird take. Lots of people entertain on a regular basis.
Define "lots" and "regular basis".

In most places you can tell if someone's entertaining more than just a few people quite easily, by the number of cars parked near their house.

I have lived in single family neighborhoods for all but about 15 of the 59 years I've been alive. At least in the places where I've lived, ranging from lower-middle-class areas of a large Southern city to one of the most expensive neighborhoods in a large Northeastern city, to upper-middle-class suburbs, it is rare to see a big line of cars parked outside someone's house. Since I walk constantly, probably 320+ days a year, I can see this, and I'd say much less often than once a month do I see a big pack of cars outside a house at even one place. So if I am passing a couple hundred houses every time I go for a 45 minute walk, and I see a big pack of cars every other Saturday night, that means on any given Saturday night far fewer than one percent of my neighbors are "entertaining" - at least not enough people for it to matter, either to parking or to fitting them into the house. Sorry, but having one other couple over is not "entertaining" to the point that you need to build your entire house around it.

I know it's not a scientific study, nor does it cover every place in the US, only the places I've lived, but I see no evidence that entertaining of large groups of people is even remotely common enough to drive the residential architecture of an entire nation.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:04 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
I prefer open concept plan as it visually give more room and house look bigger. The only thing I don't like when kitchen is blended with the living space is the cooking smell being everywhere but I still take it over separate places with walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate