Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 11:27 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Or just wash your dishes and problem solved
haha I know! People are stretching for reasons to justify why open concept is on the way out...people too lazy to wash dishes... people for some reason need to slam their cupboards.... Uncle Jim Bob and Paw-Paw want to nap while Me-Maw and Ant Gertrude tend to their womanly duties out of sight...

If you don't like it, then you don't like it, not a big deal really. But the "reasons" for not liking it are so laughable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 12:00 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
I always laughed at the whole open concept love fest and need for it. HGTV is full of people whining " I can't see every inch of my house from the kitchen stove! " and I wonder "who ARE these people who are chained to the stove?' We live in a traditional layout 1800s home and entertain quite a bit. Our kitchen backs on to the yard but yes, there's a wall between it and the formal dining room. Yet somehow, we survive despite the fact that we have small child. There's such a thing as a pack and play....

Open concept has never thrilled me. I had a mud century ranch that was built that way when we lived on SoCal. I hated that cooking smells were not contained and that my pallette for colors needed to be really limited because you could see into every room. I hope it's time has passed.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:03 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
haha I know! People are stretching for reasons to justify why open concept is on the way out...people too lazy to wash dishes... people for some reason need to slam their cupboards.... Uncle Jim Bob and Paw-Paw want to nap while Me-Maw and Ant Gertrude tend to their womanly duties out of sight...

If you don't like it, then you don't like it, not a big deal really. But the "reasons" for not liking it are so laughable!
I don't know, I think the previous poster who's mother has a toilet jutting out in the middle of a big echoing room, has a point. And now stepping up to the bathroom, ….announcing, he ate Mexican food earlier.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:37 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
We cook and entertain a lot so I love our open concept. I can have 25-30 people over and everyone can fit comfortably. I can watch tv while cooking and supervising homework and caring for the pets etc. Open concept is great for multitasking people who don’t care about a little mess and aren’t bothered by a sink of dishes. If that bothers you thoigh it’s definitely not a good fit. It can be annoying if I’m trying to relax and my husband is banging pots and pans around but it’s not a big deal and I can go upstairs if it really did bother me. I will never buy another house that isn’t open concept.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I had no idea that this was such an emotionally charged topic. You really learn something new every day.
Every topic where someone deigns to state that they dislike a norm or popular idea gets very emotionally charged on CD. The answers range from "meh. To each their own" to "HOW DARE YOU?!'

There's a lot of thin skins out there.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:46 PM

I'm looking forward to the day someone realizes that a double sink is strange and writes about that. I don't think I have ever wanted to watch the mate floss while I do my nightly skin care regimen. Sometimes you can really know too much about the person you love..... privacy is golden.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:05 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Honestly, watching my husband floss is not a big deal, I find the thought a little odd. But to each their own.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-18-2019, 01:22 PM

801 posts, read 615,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
We cook and entertain a lot so I love our open concept. I can have 25-30 people over and everyone can fit comfortably. I can watch tv while cooking and supervising homework and caring for the pets etc. Open concept is great for multitasking people who don’t care about a little mess and aren’t bothered by a sink of dishes. If that bothers you thoigh it’s definitely not a good fit. It can be annoying if I’m trying to relax and my husband is banging pots and pans around but it’s not a big deal and I can go upstairs if it really did bother me. I will never buy another house that isn’t open concept.
You can fit the same number of people, regardless. Walls or no walls. But do you want to HEAR 25-30 people talking at once?

If you don't have them over often, it might be fine. You don't like hearing your one.other.person banging pots and pans... imagine when it's regularly many. My siblings and our families go over there and there are easily 40 people. Forty people at the same noise level.

It's horrific, I promise. It's worth it to have smaller rooms within the same space to accommodate you and a single, noisy, pots-and-pans banger AND accommodate letting 25-30 people separate themselves and their 8-12 conversations in relative peace. That's my reality so I can't advocate for open concept. It would never work for us. But if it works for you, fine. I would just never buy such a place and it's hard to imagine wanting a large, open space for few people. Or many people. lol

Old 03-18-2019, 01:46 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
You can fit the same number of people, regardless. Walls or no walls. But do you want to HEAR 25-30 people talking at once?

If you don't have them over often, it might be fine. You don't like hearing your one.other.person banging pots and pans... imagine when it's regularly many. My siblings and our families go over there and there are easily 40 people. Forty people at the same noise level.

It's horrific, I promise. It's worth it to have smaller rooms within the same space to accommodate you and a single, noisy, pots-and-pans banger AND accommodate letting 25-30 people separate themselves and their 8-12 conversations in relative peace. That's my reality so I can't advocate for open concept. It would never work for us. But if it works for you, fine. I would just never buy such a place and it's hard to imagine wanting a large, open space for few people. Or many people. lol
Yeah, going to a "party" where you have 20+ people all talking at the top of their lungs in a large room of all hard surfaces, is pretty much my definition of having a terrible time. If your "house for entertaining" has multiple rooms, with sofas, and so on, people will break up into groups that can actually converse in normal tones. Also, when you get trapped by the bore (every party has one) and you say "I think I'll go get a drink" it's not quite so obvious that your whole purpose is escape, when you can go to another room.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:49 PM

356 posts, read 175,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I'm looking forward to the day someone realizes that a double sink is strange and writes about that. I don't think I have ever wanted to watch the mate floss while I do my nightly skin care regimen. Sometimes you can really know too much about the person you love..... privacy is golden.
There's nothing to realize, sweetie. "strange" is your opinion. Cool.

It's not what you prefer. Meh, that's cool. To each their own. Many couple probably prepare for bed differently and might have a different opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate