Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 07:16 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
My dream HOA doesn't allow overnight parking in either the driveway or on the street.

Honestly? If seeing cars parked in their own driveway is your nightmare, you really need to get a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 08:01 AM

19,026 posts, read 13,932,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Honestly? If seeing cars parked in their own driveway is your nightmare, you really need to get a life.
The true HOA fear isn’t what’s on paper when you move in. It’s someone like the one you quoted who manages to gain power after you’ve purchased.

Fending off these types is how and why I fought to the top of my HOA board. I now can rest easy knowing that no stupid oppressive rules will be enacted at least until I move away (likely when I die).

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-26-2019, 08:17 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What's next- don't walk on your walkway?

Old 03-26-2019, 08:47 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,638,044 times
I'm guessing the following house isn't inside an HOA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flintstone_House

https://www.mercurynews.com/wp-conte...e-0318-032.jpg

Old 03-26-2019, 07:25 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Beauty in the eye of the beholder...

It is one of those properties with high visibility that you either like or don't.

I think of things like toxic chemicals, fire hazard, vermin, dangerous animals, neglected ponds and pool breeding grounds, etc... as Important...

Statues on private property that are not obscene are pretty low on my list.

Remember, the home was built in compliance with zoning and design at the time of construction... it is not new... what is new is the addition of yard art ramping up the theme.

Live and Let Live????

On the other hand... there was a lovely home in a high end neighborhood with impeccable landscaping and 5 bridge SF View... inside it was converted to a grow house and met with a violent end as a Pot/Cash home invasion robbery... for outward appearance no one suspected... I'm sure bullets flying sent shock waves.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:23 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
The city is bullying the owner of the Flintstone house and ordered her to remove the statues. She has paid fines. Even without an HOA, you need to deal with this bs.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:28 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I see this as no win either way.

I previously lived in an HOA neighborhood and was hassled for having 5 too many dandelions.

But I now live in a non-HOA neighborhood and have a few neighbors who leave trash in the front yard, park their campers and boats in the driveways, and have as many as 5 cars parked along the curb.

Serving on an HOA board is a thankless task and it tends to attract people who seek power. They can easily create a hostile and adversarial relationship.

Personally, I don't like being "ruled" so I guess I'll just tolerate the neighbors.
I really think its about submitting to the interpretation of the rules by a neighbor, instead of a village Civil Servant/Bureaucrat that makes most of the difference. If I bought a house in a Non-HOA neighborhood in a Raleigh Suburb, I couldn't have 9 political signs in my yard, I couldn't put them 1 foot from the property line, and I couldn't have one that's 10 feet across. It has rules about window treatments and roofing materials and probably other stuff in some neighborhoods.

Because the fact of the matter is, that you're always, to one degree or another, "Ruled." I can't keep twenty hounds in my yard, or a bunch of Roosters, and I can't operate a retail store from my house, or a host of other things. That's what I give up to be on a street without too much traffic, convenient to a Target and a Grocery store, within my budget.

I know a woman that owns a house in an HOA. The HOA basically takes care of the mowing of the strip of land at the front of the neighborhood and the sign and puts something in reserve for the long term road maintenance.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The city is bullying the owner of the Flintstone house and ordered her to remove the statues. She has paid fines. Even without an HOA, you need to deal with this bs.
Hi powered lawyers have been retained to sue the city...

It will either settle quickly or drag on depending if one side backs down.

Several OP-ED pieces have been on the homeowner's side... said is this really a government priority?

Old 03-27-2019, 07:16 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,430,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Hi powered lawyers have been retained to sue the city...

It will either settle quickly or drag on depending if one side backs down.

Several OP-ED pieces have been on the homeowner's side... said is this really a government priority?
We can only hope the local judges are responsive to the influence of "high powered lawyers". I always laugh at the term. A big shot from NYC can be laughed out of court in a small country town. Your pedigree can sometimes injure your credibility. Happens more often than one would think.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
We can only hope the local judges are responsive to the influence of "high powered lawyers". I always laugh at the term. A big shot from NYC can be laughed out of court in a small country town. Your pedigree can sometimes injure your credibility. Happens more often than one would think.
Lawyer Alioto has a long history in local politics...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/18/u...one-house.html

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...002751629.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate