Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 07:56 PM

172 posts, read 145,662 times

Advertisements

I search 10-20k above our actual budget because of potential budget cuts and negotiations.

Honestly, I've been watching the market where we plan to go. When I see people drop it a few thousand or even one that dropped $500, I assume the sale price is pretty tight if it doesn't drop it to a new threshold price.

At that point, I would look if I like the house enough at that price, knowing there might not be much negotiating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 08:03 PM

566 posts, read 572,721 times
We only did $10k reductions when we were selling. We had relocated and HAD to sell.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:13 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
It doesn't matter how low you price it, I am not going to buy and live in a low-lying house sith drainage problems on a main highway.

Location, location, location, then features, then being priced appropriately.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:25 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
To me, a small price drop like that means the Seller is very reluctant to go below his asking price and figures any drop will get attention. A large drop means the Seller means business and wants to sell. I look at them all, however, but with my own criteria in mind as the basis.

We had someone in our condo building who needed to sell and put the price down $10,000 every two weeks until it sold. Now that was desperation!

Old 03-27-2019, 07:30 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLKitties View Post
I'm operating under the assumption that most buyers are searching based on search criteria of prices such as $x00/x25/x50/x75 and we're not able to drop into a new bracket. Property is in Florida so new pools of buyers are frequently entering the market. That being said, would a $3k price cut on a high $300s home magically make you more interested in a home? Or would you have already gone and seen the house and just offered $3k or whatever less if you didn't think it was worth the asking price? Thank you in advance for any insight.
a 1% price cut is ridiculous. I would guess some RE agents wouldn't even entertain that nonsense.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:14 AM

390 posts, read 396,817 times
Thank you all for your input. I guess we should have overpriced it from the start to make people think they were getting a deal. Seems to work in retail. hahaha We're fairly priced for the area so we'll probably refrain from any price reductions and see what happens over the next few months.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Thank you all for your input. I guess we should have overpriced it from the start to make people think they were getting a deal. Seems to work in retail. hahaha We're fairly priced for the area so we'll probably refrain from any price reductions and see what happens over the next few months.
If you believe your price is appropriate, and you're getting showings but no offers, then you need to look at why you're not getting offers. Real estate agents always default to "cut the price" because it takes no thought or analysis to say that, and relatively small price cuts don't really hit them all that hard in the commish.

My story: We had a two year old house for sale. Everything was PERFECT - except that there was some wear on the carpet. I thought we ought to suck it up and replace the carpet, my wife thought we ought to replace the carpet, but the agent said "no, no need to replace the carpet". Well, we had some showings, not a hint of an offer. We figured we were competing with brand new construction, and our house had slightly shabby carpet. The agent said "what you've got to do is lower the price". Well, we didn't lower the price, we replaced the carpet. Two showings, two offers, two weeks, sold. Yes, we netted less due to the cost of replacing the carpet, but we didn't have to keep shelling out mortgage payments month after month while people looked at the house and didn't make offers. What it cost us to replace the carpet and sell the house right damn now was about the same or less than the recommended price cut that our own judgement told us would not sell the house quickly.

Use your real estate agent as a RESOURCE, but you HAVE to use your own judgement.

Your own particular story won't line up with ours, of course, but my point still remains that you should take a real hard look at your house from the perspective of a potential buyer and try to figure out what YOUR judgement is for the reason it hasn't sold.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:43 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Quote:
How is overpricing something gonna make people think they are getting a deal? That's like a supermarket charging $5 for a 2 liter Coke that sells for $1.59 regular price or $1 on sale occasionally.

The deal would only be if you substantially lowered the price right away, and any Agent who lets you list by overpricing the property is not a good agent, they are wasting your time as well as their own.

If you can't sell it seems like it's overpriced or you think it's worth more than buyers do.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:00 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Too many people talking in total dollars. Example: 10k price reduction on a 100,000 listing is significant. 10k reduction on a 1,000,000 property is laughable.

It should be percentages. If it's on the market and not selling it either needs a price reduction or condition improvement. Assuming no condition adjustments coming, below are the stats needed to generate a contract.

Lots of showings/no offers = 3-5% reduction
A few showings/no offers = 5-10% reduction
no showings/no offers = 10+%

Old 03-27-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Too many people talking in total dollars. Example: 10k price reduction on a 100,000 listing is significant. 10k reduction on a 1,000,000 property is laughable.

It should be percentages. If it's on the market and not selling it either needs a price reduction or condition improvement. Assuming no condition adjustments coming, below are the stats needed to generate a contract.

Lots of showings/no offers = 3-5% reduction
A few showings/no offers = 5-10% reduction
no showings/no offers = 10+%
See? What did I tell you? Instant default reply from real estate agent is "drop the price".

Maybe you need to drop the price. Maybe you don't. Maybe there is something easily correctable that is putting buyers off. Use your own judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate