Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 07:12 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times

Advertisements

They’re still building moderate sized homes in my area, although we do have the typical McMansion subdivisions as well.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...89002523_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0...86432757_zpid/

Sometimes they are called “patio homes” or “garden homes”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 04:22 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times
I subdivision developer can afford to do a whole division of smaller homes. Individuals will just lose money.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:31 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,430,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I subdivision developer can afford to do a whole division of smaller homes. Individuals will just lose money.
I agree.

I don't think the margins in the industry have thinned for developers as much as they've widened for companies employing tradesmen performing services at retail rates for suc- ... I meant homeowners.

Unless you employ these tradesmen and own the fruits of their production for 40 hours a week, you're getting ripped off.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:43 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,499 times
You'll have to get one of those townhouses. Or live somewhere really rural where a builder won't care about something small. The higher the land costs, the bigger the house the builder will try to squeeze on it.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:51 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

This is the problem. In the olden days the cities or towns planned and built the streets, sold the lots to people or builders. People just bought kit homes from companies like Sears. Now it's someone buys the land, has it developed, builds out all of or rarely has them sold to other people or builders.

Cities or towns could buy the land, their people could vote to approve it. Now there's too many conflicts of interests, real estate developer gets on city council and it's totally privatized. City doesn't spend money, friend of councilor gets his nice kickback for selling the land to them, developer chokes out the competition. Charges whatever they want because their kickbacks dictate the land price.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:02 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
No that is not a manufactured house which is a mobile home. Did you see the picture. Have you ever seen a mobile home on a slab? No they are always raised and have skirting of some kind. And yes it does include the land and prep. I guess you didn't click on the link because from the roofline you can see it's not a manufactured house.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...98339757_zpid/ Move in ready $142,900

In this area, mobile homes and manufactured homes are not really the same thing. As a matter of fact, there's a year cutoff as to when they're considered mobile homes or manufactured homes. The difference today is manufactured homes are much nicer and closer to a real home than the old mobile homes are. Many mobile homes are on slabs and are raised because the wheels usually aren't taken off.They also usually still retain the tongue. Manufactured homes today have the wheels and tongue taken off and are set over excavated areas where the plumbing and heating are brought in.

Mobile homes will usually have metal skirting around them. Manufactured homes will usually have a more solid foundation.

The first image is of a double wide mobile home on its own lot. This one is probably on a slab.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/r...840109825.html

The second image is of a double wide manufactured home on its own lot. Note the roof.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/r...858823516.html
Attached Thumbnails
future of housing?-00m0m_gdsczpeozn6_1200x900.jpg   future of housing?-00k0k_flspd3kakfi_1200x900.jpg  

Old 04-07-2019, 07:47 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,352,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm looking in the 1200-1800 sq range. I don't know where you live. However, I doubt that all the smaller homes are in the "bad" parts of town. All types of people want smaller homes. Are you limiting your search to the higher income, all white only areas?

I'm having luck finding what I want in moderate income (80-120k) neighborhoods and there is a good mix of diversity.

$80K to $120K is "moderate income"? I have to assume you reside on the West coast. In most parts of the country, that is easily above average wages.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,885,736 times
I’ve seen that the average new build house size in the country is just under 2700 sf which I assume is a SFH but I’m not sure and the average household size is about 2.5 people.

These house sizes seem mighty big for around here but I assume that in other areas with far lower development costs and larger lots things average out for our smaller yet far more expensive units. It just costs a fixed amount to develop a house and pumping up the volume after you’ve got the basics; kitchen, bathrooms, room count, just doesn’t cost that much more and so any builder is going to do just that in most markets to ensure a profit by providing a product that is close to that desired average.

I think the trend should reflect the large number of smaller household sizes and many large new houses should at least have flexible floor plans and potentially rentable units within the built envelope to defray housing costs as an option.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:03 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,638,044 times
When it came time to retire, we upsized to a 7500 sf main house & a 7000 sf vacation house. They work for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate