Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2019, 05:21 PM

294 posts, read 372,245 times

Advertisements

I was preapproved for a mortgage by Navy Federal Credit Union recently.

At this website: https://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloan...o_loan_fee.asp
, the 3rd bullet under "VA Home Loan Advantages" says:

"VA rules limit the amount you can be charged for closing costs."

This page references some costs as well: https://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloan...o_loan_fee.asp , but only specifies restrictions on the termite report:
VA rules limit the amount you can be charged for closing costs.

Anyone know where I can get a full list? My efforts to find one on the va.gov website have failed so far.

The reason I ask is that a non-official, third party site here has a long list of things it claims cannot be charged due to VA guidelines:
https://www.militaryvaloan.com/va_loan_closing_cost.htm

The second one on the list in that section caught my eye:
Quote:
Escrow Fee/Settlement Fee/Closing Fee

The VA does not allow the veteran to pay an escrow fee. The escrow fee varies greatly and can be quite expensive, so this is a great benefit to the VA loan. Although the veteran does not pay for the escrow fee, it’s good to know what the escrow company does.
The escrow company is responsible for collecting and distributing all monies involved in the transaction. Escrow will receive the earnest money, any wired amounts from banks, down payments from the buyer, closing cost assistance from the seller, etc. The escrow company then divvies out the money to the appropriate parties — real estate agent commission checks, the seller’s current lender, the seller, etc.
In addition, the escrow company makes sure all parties sign all the final loan documents and sale documents. When it’s all said and done, the escrow company sends documents to the county or jurisdiction to record the sale.
The reason it caught my eye is that, after getting pre-approved for the NFCU loan, I got a title fee quote from Navy Federal Title Services that included, "Settlement or closing fee [from Borrower]: $475."

Obviously, having that removed would be cool. But citing a third-party, non-official site for it seems silly, haha. I called the militaryvaloan.com people, who had no source for the claims on that page. But it still made me wonder where I might find the list so as to insure I was not charged for something I should not be.

Or will the VA have to chop on the title services anyway, and that is where adjustments would be made and it is nothing I'd have to worry about?

Related question, if taking the NFCU mortgage loan, is there any real reason not to use the Navy Federal Title Services company?

Thanks for any help as I am a first-time buyer. I do have a realtor, but I like to educate myself along the way too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 05:35 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Talk to your lender. Really the best source of information about your loan.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Talk to your lender. Really the best source of information about your loan.
Oh, so it would be the lender (NFCU) in charge of keeping the title company (Navy Federal Title Services) in line and not charging me something they should not? That seems a bit like trusting the fox to guard the henhouse. But if that is how it goes, that is how it goes. Thanks so much for your time.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:47 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
VA buyers can have escrow fees. That is an allowable fee. Here is the list from the handbook.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
VA buyers can have escrow fees. That is an allowable fee. Here is the list from the handbook.
This is amazing and just what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

Old 04-09-2019, 05:55 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
I was preapproved for a mortgage by Navy Federal Credit Union recently.

At this website: https://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloan...o_loan_fee.asp
, the 3rd bullet under "VA Home Loan Advantages" says:

"VA rules limit the amount you can be charged for closing costs."

This page references some costs as well: https://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloan...o_loan_fee.asp , but only specifies restrictions on the termite report:
VA rules limit the amount you can be charged for closing costs.

Anyone know where I can get a full list? My efforts to find one on the va.gov website have failed so far.

The reason I ask is that a non-official, third party site here has a long list of things it claims cannot be charged due to VA guidelines:
https://www.militaryvaloan.com/va_loan_closing_cost.htm

The second one on the list in that section caught my eye:
The reason it caught my eye is that, after getting pre-approved for the NFCU loan, I got a title fee quote from Navy Federal Title Services that included, "Settlement or closing fee [from Borrower]: $475." This is allowable.

Obviously, having that removed would be cool. But citing a third-party, non-official site for it seems silly, haha. I called the militaryvaloan.com people, who had no source for the claims on that page. But it still made me wonder where I might find the list so as to insure I was not charged for something I should not be.

Or will the VA have to chop on the title services anyway, and that is where adjustments would be made and it is nothing I'd have to worry about?

Related question, if taking the NFCU mortgage loan, is there any real reason not to use the Navy Federal Title Services company? No, Title fees will be identical regardless of which Title company is used, and the seller of the property chooses the Title company.

Thanks for any help as I am a first-time buyer. I do have a realtor, but I like to educate myself along the way too.
The best advice here, I think , is to find a lender you trust, and trust them. There is no way you will pay for a non-allowable fee, and lenders can't game the system.

It's lengthy and convoluted, and it starts on page 2: https://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/do...okChapter8.pdf

Old 04-10-2019, 11:36 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
This is probably the buyer paid lender title policy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate