Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 05:04 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Spencgr - I'm never too old to learn something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 06:07 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
Yikes! It's interesting that the first thing in the description talks about other uses for the pool, which tells me it no longer works as a pool. It's also surrounded by much cheaper houses. You've heard the adage about not buying the most expensive house in the neighborhood? That one's gonna be a tough sell!

Congratulations on your decision. You're half a million $$ ahead already!

Old 04-20-2019, 06:10 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Well, from the photos it didn't appear nearly as filthy and hideous as I had expected from your description. I've seen far worse on the hideous and filthy scale than that! However, what it lacked in hideousness it also lacked in charm. It looked rather plain and uninviting. Even if you fixed up the interior at great expense, you'd still be stuck with the exterior which looked very much in line with your description.

Clearly you'll be able to find something more to your liking. Thanks for the engaging dialog.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:03 PM

Jonah, thanks for pointing that out - I actually DO feel richer about it.

The photos - note there is only one photo of the 7.5 bathrooms. And not one of every bedroom. Or the "dream mud room."

True that lots of it is "not that bad." The main living areas are fine - not awesome, but livable. Love the decorative work around the fireplaces, the built-ins, the library - no real work there, just paint/floors/lights to taste. Nothing broken.

The bathroom that does have a photo is mysteriously misleading. That new-ish looking commode looks like someone flushed roadkill down the bowl. Sorry for the visual...but still true.

Yeah - the pool - I didn't want to mention it. It could be re-habbed, it's really - really - big. Most hotels have smaller pools. Deep too, maybe 15'...couldn't see the bottom, too much swamp water. That particular room (maybe 4000 sq ft more ) is - in theory - closed to the outside - but in truth, birds and animals have moved in. Not a cheap fix up.

Thanks everybody!

Old 04-21-2019, 12:00 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
I can see why you were interested, it was somebody's dream home, but now it's fifty years old and really showing its age. If somebody gave it to me on the condition I had to live in it for the rest of my life (no rentals or sublets), I'd be inclined to chop off the second floor and put a nice solar roof on it, that would cut the amount of remodeling I'd have to do in half, LOL. Love the garage. And, I like the idea of the pool, but I'll bet there's more dry rot and mildew damage inside that ceiling than you can shake a stick at, I couldn't afford to heat that building. My sister and BIL actually bought a similar home in WI twenty-five years ago, they had to tear down the pool building because of water damage, but kept the pool. The guy who bought it after them filled in the pool and built a big attached garage. Sis remodeled it and made money on it, the current owner will likely lose quite a bit, he put too much into it (on top of what Sis did) for the area to support, too high-end now.

That's a lot of driveway on yours, you'd need a tractor with a blade or snow blower on it, even though that area of Ohio only gets 25" of snow annually. My back started aching just looking at the walkways and having to sealcoat all that asphalt every two years. Looking at it reinforced my idea of a barndominium or earth-sheltered home in a much warmer clime, that I can pretty much ignore the exterior on until I join the Depends Club.

After looking at it for ten minutes, what came to mind was an email joke someone sent to me once, it was a photo of a hand-written sign next to the body of a car-flattened feline on the shoulder of a road, the sign said "Free Cat". Except this one isn't free, it's $365K for the privilege of having something to pour even more money into for the next ten years. Sorry for putting that image into your head if you're an animal lover, but Rednecks gonna Redneck.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:03 AM

Ha! Good comparison!

Happy Easter everyone!

Yeah, sealing the driveway looks like a lifelong pursuit.... It's nearly 800 feet, 16 feet wide. Actually this area gets more like 70 inches per year of snow, over 100 inches occasionally. Plow for sure. The garage was also my favorite part, huge, clean, lots of doors and windows.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:01 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
One word: RUN!!!!!

Old 04-21-2019, 01:36 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,678,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
One word: RUN!!!!!
My same thought!!

Stand back and allow somebody else to don the rose colored glasses/w attached checkbook.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:52 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I have no idea who would be a buyer for this in the future.
!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Well, from the photos it didn't appear nearly as filthy and hideous as I had expected from your description. I've seen far worse on the hideous and filthy scale than that! However, what it lacked in hideousness it also lacked in charm. It looked rather plain and uninviting. Even if you fixed up the interior at great expense, you'd still be stuck with the exterior which looked very much in line with your description.

^^^ to both.

It's got curb appeal like someone tried to make a house out of a motel 6 building. Never going to have appeal without a smart and creative architect. Maybe several of them. Add 10% to the total bill!

What a den.....looks like maybe an S&M club could move in there!

Old 04-23-2019, 12:52 PM

548 posts, read 1,216,873 times
I'm glad you posted the link -- it was fun to look at!
I think if you were happy to retire there you could have made it work, but your desire to move somewhere warm in the next 20ish years and your need for it not to be a money pit for you to be able to make the move, means that you definitely made the right choice to leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate