Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 06:07 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadsuper55 View Post
I live in San Diego so I can't afford anything at this time.

30k down probably won't get me much if anything but I'm looking daily
Look for opportunities OTHER THAN real estate to put that $30,000 to work.
Or move where the low level end of the RE business can make sense.

Weren't all these conflicting issues sorted out clearly enough in the other threads
you've been posting for the last year or so?
Good luck with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 07:17 AM

17,270 posts, read 21,998,333 times
97K in akron is trouble.

30K down and 7% for 7 is screaming there is a problem. Realtor.com shows 83 multi-family units for sale from 20K-400K.

I'd bet the rents at 2300 are market value for that unit, with that many multi-family units I suspect the area has a lot of cheap rents.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:31 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Quote:
I'm looking at a 5 unit near Akron Ohio for 97k. The owner is willing to finance with 30k down, 7 years, 7% interest. Operating expenses will be around 4k a year and rents are below market at $2300 month fully occupied at the moment. I will be an out of state first time investor. Should I start with a duplex or single family owner financed home under 40k?
Please take my advice. Start (and continue) with properties very very close to you. My husband has what he calls the 20 minute drive rule. And boy are we glad we obeyed that, when he gets a call (as he did today) from the fire department at 6 AM Easter morning, saying, "You've got a tenant reporting water and a ceiling coming down in a unit in one of your buildings!" He was able to be there in 20 minutes, shut off the water, sleuth out the leak, and plan and is right now in the process of executing the repair. If it were far away, he'd probably have had to pay thousands to get a plumber there on Easter morning.

So many aggravations with landlording, all compounded by being far away. Any property that is far away, you're gonna have to pay a management company, and all they do is call in expensive tradespeople (taking kickbacks, likely) to do work at full price, and it may not even be competently done.

Your best bet is to buy a multi near you and move into one unit - that way you can get a bank loan, owner-occupied, for 30 years at 5%, with as little as 3% down, if you can get FHA, certainly no more than 30% down. Then, you do the next one the same way in a year or two. And so on.

Go on a website called bigger pockets. You can learn a ton from those who've been through it. You don't have to take any courses to learn how to do this. The courses you should take are basic handyman stuff through home depot - simple plumbing, carpentry, electrical.

The only reason that we can make money on our little multi biz is that husband can fix anything, and we manage it ourselves.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:36 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Quote:
I live in San Diego so I can't afford anything at this time. 30k down probably won't get me much if anything but I'm looking daily
If you live in San Diego and you only have 30K to start playing monopoly with, you can't afford it. Look for another type of investment.

Seriously. You are running a tremendous risk of horrendous expenses, and winding up defaulting on the loan and ruining your credit. Do NOT do this!

Old 04-26-2019, 01:14 AM

432 posts, read 284,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If you live in San Diego and you only have 30K to start playing monopoly with, you can't afford it. Look for another type of investment.

Seriously. You are running a tremendous risk of horrendous expenses, and winding up defaulting on the loan and ruining your credit. Do NOT do this!
This was one of my main issues is trying not to get too greedy and taking big risk this early. I just sold my California home so now I have around 45k to invest with. I also still have my VA so I may wait it out see if prices drop a little lower unless I can find a great deal in the meantime

Old 04-26-2019, 01:17 AM

432 posts, read 284,782 times
Lower middle class income area and rents are a little below market.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:12 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Op you have this same thread in two forums. Maybe keep it in one?

Old 04-26-2019, 11:15 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Op try giving a little more info like your income and how much you have as discretionary income, savings, etc.
Lots of other factors to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate