Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 11:23 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times

Advertisements

Fair question!

We've decided to build Our Dream Home - in about two years. This means in about a year, I'll be dealing with a builder, if not a designer, and while we're not totally nutty, if we're going to do a thing, we like to do it right.

The exploration with the fixer-upper (different thread) showed me that I do not know what I do not know - and it's plenty!

I'm just looking for resources, I enjoy reading and researching, I have no problem digging for data. This forum is a place for that, too.

Are there fundamental "better" ways to build a house than simply the cheapest? From the foundation to the roof, and the windows in between, are there "better" things people pay money to get?
(This is not about re-sale, it's about quality and technique.) We've been looking at Other People's Homes for about a year. Lots of maybes, one crazy fixer-upper, but nothing really had all our "must haves." It's not a huge list. But - sometimes when we're
in a house - you can just "tell" - it's better. Floors are more solid, doors are heavy, design is sensible, curb appeal is...subtle and timeless...that kind of thing. I can't put my finger on it, but, like fine
clothes, you can just tell by looking...even if you don't know why. Maybe it's my imagination - but if it isn't - what are these subtle touches that make it a better (pricier) home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 11:31 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
I think that sometimes, the hard part can be that two houses with identical floor plans and even identical materials can be totally different in terms of quality...How good is the framer, the drywall guy, the roofer, the plumber, the foundation, are the tradesmen looking at lumber and rejecting crummy pieces or not, etc...

Old 04-25-2019, 11:45 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Fair question!

We've decided to build Our Dream Home - in about two years. This means in about a year, I'll be dealing with a builder, if not a designer, and while we're not totally nutty, if we're going to do a thing, we like to do it right.

The exploration with the fixer-upper (different thread) showed me that I do not know what I do not know - and it's plenty!

I'm just looking for resources, I enjoy reading and researching, I have no problem digging for data. This forum is a place for that, too.

Are there fundamental "better" ways to build a house than simply the cheapest? From the foundation to the roof, and the windows in between, are there "better" things people pay money to get?
(This is not about re-sale, it's about quality and technique.) We've been looking at Other People's Homes for about a year. Lots of maybes, one crazy fixer-upper, but nothing really had all our "must haves." It's not a huge list. But - sometimes when we're
in a house - you can just "tell" - it's better. Floors are more solid, doors are heavy, design is sensible, curb appeal is...subtle and timeless...that kind of thing. I can't put my finger on it, but, like fine
clothes, you can just tell by looking...even if you don't know why. Maybe it's my imagination - but if it isn't - what are these subtle touches that make it a better (pricier) home?
Of course there are.
Go look at the windows in a showroom to see the differences.
Things like the roof...Asphalt shingles account for 80% of homes out there. Go on Owens Corning's website and see the different lines of roofing they have from the entry level to the top of the line...Aside from Asphalt metal or slate or tile roofs can last far longer...
Foundation? largely seems to depend on the areas soil.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:38 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Fair question!

Makes sense. I think subscribing to some "trade" magazines/publications is a smart suggestion. Talking to some architects would probably reap some rewards, as well.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:00 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Quote:
Actually, I'm in the North - not far from Lake Erie. But tile is still common here. Heated tile is awesome!

AlterEgo, thanks for the ideas - I just figured all this stuff would be cataloged somewhere, in the "Home Builders Selection Menu" (i made that up).

But regional differences and tastes aside - isn't a toilet that can flush a box of golf balls better than one that can't? Aren't tilt-in windows better than "slide up?" Maybe not. Thus the post!
Weird. I grew up near Lake Erie and I don't recall anyone with tile. Now I'm by Lake Michigan and the only tile I know of is in old mansions.

There goes my attempt at guessing your location.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:31 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
Hm! Ours is a new-ish home, ten years, tile everywhere!

Old 04-25-2019, 04:26 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,483 times
It basically comes down to how much understanding you have of construction techniques for homes. Obviously, most people aren't architects or general contractors, so it is hard to get a good understanding for most people.

I am in the process of a redoing my fixer upper because it's an enjoyable hobby for me. Every upgrade I do leads to me learning more about what is considered "high end" for my area. The reccomendation to read Fine Home Building is also very good.

You have to learn what makes a house solid and "high end" and what is bling that home owners throw in their house to look good.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:31 PM

213 posts, read 343,303 times
Forget wood, go with a steel frame. That's what my parents did 20 years ago. It's much stronger, more likely to survive an earthquake or have a frame level after a fire.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:27 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
The first thing I look at in a home is the lot, specifically the flood zone. I love Zone X because it's high ground, not required to buy flood insurance but I do anyway because it's much less expensive for high ground. The best built home on low ground is not a dream home, no matter how pretty the view is.

We'll likely be building (not buying) when we move and will learn what standard vs high end building standards are in our new town. Brick exterior is appealing due to lower maintenance but it costs more up front. Carpet is cheaper than wood or tile floors but hard surfaces last longer.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:40 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Go to Fine Homebuilding. https://www.finehomebuilding.com
Buy a bunch (30?) of back issues.
Buy a subscription.
Start a notebook.
Hire an architect and find a builder based upon the architect's recommendations.
Do not build for at least 2 years. Changes on paper are cheap. Find an anal-retentive friend who tastes are more expensive than yours to scrutinize your plans.

This is what we did for our major renovation.
Yeah have to agree fine home building is a great starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate