Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 05:17 PM

122 posts, read 260,571 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have bought and sold 3 homes in Utah. All the times we sold we did it for sale by owner and two times that we bought we did it ourselves without a relator, once we had a relator because the house was a foreclosure. When we bought the home that was a foreclosure in 2008, the vast majority of homes were in foreclosure or short sale so we offered on over 50 homes and many times had multiple offers out because banks were dragging their feet responding.

Last year my husband and I sold our home and we are moving out of state for health care reasons. My husband had an interview and got a dream job offer and had less then 2 days to look at homes. he used a relator but several things happen and I still question if it was the "rules" or laws of that state or just the realtor?

Do you have to have a relator to view a home? In Utah it is no. Is it different in MA, CT, NY? My husband asked to view a home and he was told you had to have a relator? Is this really true? My husband is a clean cut Utah guy, very qualified to buy and he could not understand why he could not view a home himself? I also feel very frustrated not being able to talk to the seller myself and waiting for a relator to ask questions. There were many homes I wasted time on that one question would have answered (like no way to get Gas service to a home, internet speeds, or heating costs).

The other issue is if we have a very short time to offer and buy can we have multiple offers out? If we travel and see 3 homes we like can we put 3 offers out or is it really just one at a time, wait, another, wait..

In Utah not having a relator as a buyer, can mean many times you get a better deal since there is no commission taken out. Selling my last home I had multiple offers and about half had no buyers agent because they knew it made their offer 3% stronger? Is it seen this way in other states.

I just want to get the most out of my week of looking at homes soon. I am most likely a cash buyer, or a very small under 50k loan and I have a home inspector in the area I am looking at I trust. I just want to be able to see any home that is for sale and be able get the most information fast.

Also how common is it to have internet speeds tested as part of home inspections? Our son has epilepsy and will never drive and works from home so good internet is a must and I do not trust a company offer. I want to see it actually working and an actual test. I would be willing to pay hook up fees.

Thanks for any advice. I did not grow up in Utah but have lived here long enough to I guess have gotten used to a very laid back way of doing business. I am finally going back to the real world I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 05:35 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspoons View Post
Do you have to have a relator to view a home? In Utah it is no. Is it different in MA, CT, NY? My husband asked to view a home and he was told you had to have a relator? Is this really true? My husband is a clean cut Utah guy, very qualified to buy and he could not understand why he could not view a home himself?
Most sellers don't want to just let unknown strangers into their home. The system of lockboxes and guided showings of properties with a Realtor ensures some accountability and safeguarding of the home and belongings during showings, and securing the property when finished.

Quote:
I also feel very frustrated not being able to talk to the seller myself and waiting for a relator to ask questions. There were many homes I wasted time on that one question would have answered (like no way to get Gas service to a home, internet speeds, or heating costs).
Many Realtors may know or be able to find out these answers, and many sellers don't want to answer lots of questions from strangers.

Quote:
The other issue is if we have a very short time to offer and buy can we have multiple offers out? If we travel and see 3 homes we like can we put 3 offers out or is it really just one at a time, wait, another, wait..
Ethically, you can't be under contract for more than one at a time.... so if you submit more than one offer you are taking a chance that more than one may be accepted.

Quote:
In Utah not having a relator as a buyer, can mean many times you get a better deal since there is no commission taken out. Selling my last home I had multiple offers and about half had no buyers agent because they knew it made their offer 3% stronger? Is it seen this way in other states.
Here, the commission is set by the listing agent and is split between listing and buyer's agent. It's not cheaper to go without a buyer's agent... the listing agent just makes twice as much and doesn't really represent you.

Quote:
Also how common is it to have internet speeds tested as part of home inspections? Our son has epilepsy and will never drive and works from home so good internet is a must and I do not trust a company offer. I want to see it actually working and an actual test. I would be willing to pay hook up fees.
If you look at occupied homes, they may have internet already connected that you can test.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:37 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
East coast real estate is very different than the western states. You might want to PM MikePru who is an agent in Massachusetts. He can answer questions about real estate there. I don't think we have a NY or CT agent on the forum.

In Oregon, you can't write more than one offer on a home unless you have the funds to buy all of them or you disclose to the seller that you are making multiple buyer offers. It is financial misrepresentation out here. Agents out here a fiduciary duty to the other part to act honestly and in good faith, and making multiple buyer offers without disclosure or such would violate that fiduciary duty. I'm surprised that it didn't violate any sort of Utah standard, honestly.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Most sellers don't want to just let unknown strangers into their home. The system of lockboxes and guided showings of properties with a Realtor ensures some accountability and safeguarding of the home and belongings during showings, and securing the property when finished.
Oh,I interpreted this to mean that if they wanted to see the house they had to have a buyer agent of their own, or have a buyer agent/dual agent within the brokerage. That they wouldn't show a house to an unrepresented buyer.

If your interpretation is correct, that the buyer just wanted to walk in a house with a combo code or have the seller let them in, then that would be weird in most places.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:45 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Oh,I interpreted this to mean that if they wanted to see the house they had to have a buyer agent of their own, or have a buyer agent/dual agent within the brokerage. That they wouldn't show a house to an unrepresented buyer.

If your interpretation is correct, that the buyer just wanted to walk in a house with a combo code or have the seller let them in, then that would be weird in most places.
Well, that's how I took " My husband is a clean cut Utah guy, very qualified to buy and he could not understand why he could not view a home himself?"

It could also mean that many listing agents don't really want to show the home to unrepresented buyers.... because that's often also true.

Time will tell what the OP really meant.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-27-2019 at 06:17 PM..

Old 04-27-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well, that's how I took " My husband is a clean cut Utah guy, very qualified to buy and he could not understand why he could not view a home himself?"
Ted Bundy was clean cut too.

I feel some significant culture shock coming for the OP.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
You can just contact the Internet service providers and see what speeds are available at the address.

I doubt anyone is going to allow you to go and hook up the Internet with what ever service plan you want, so you can test it, lol. That actually sounds crazy "hey, I am interested in buying your house, but first I need to contact Comcast, I want to get the service I want connected to your home, so I can see the Internet speed".

Unless your son games as a living, speed will not be an issue about anywhere.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:19 PM

What had happened was my husband had a list of homes to see. The buyers agent we were using had gone home at night. The selling agent texted and said they were wiling to show the home. My husband was very close to the house in his hotel, the relator was over an hour away at his house. My husband wondered why he could not just go look at it himself? The selling agent and homeowner were there and he did not know why he needed the relator to drive 2 hours (after the poor guy had driven him around for over 10 hours that day) so he could peak in a home. He was trying to explain he was just wanting a peak and was very serious about wanting to buy asap.

It is interesting how states are different. I'm surprised sellers do not like questions. When we were trying to buy last year one seller finally told the relator to get us on the phone because they too were sick of the waiting and back and forth. they were desperate to sell, the house was pretty but older and I wanted to know with a 100 year old home what heating costs were and internet speeds, and electrical usage issues, things that owners would know over an inspector. One phone call and I got all my answers and moved on instead of days of back and forth. When I sold my home by owner, every buyer wanted to talk to me even if they had a relator. Most common they wanted to know how many kids were in the neighborhood and ages, what the school was like, and many were thrilled that I gave an actual internet test for them to see (internet is a he problem in our city).

Old 04-27-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You can just contact the Internet service providers and see what speeds are available at the address.

I doubt anyone is going to allow you to go and hook up the Internet with what ever service plan you want, so you can test it, lol. That actually sounds crazy "hey, I am interested in buying your house, but first I need to contact Comcast, I want to get the service I want connected to your home, so I can see the Internet speed".

I wrote an offer once contingent on satisfactory internet speed/service. It was for a rural area. They didn't hook up the service but they did come out to consult to tell them what was realistic for that house.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

I can't trust contacting the provider. I can't el you how many homes were I live are promised online high speeds and can't get them.
My current home says I can get up to 600m broadband
40mb DSL dual bonded
and 60M wireless.

I pay for all three and today just one line of the dual bonded is working. Broadband and wireless are both down.
The broadband is just horrible, down every night for a few hours and even with a $300 router I'm lucky to stream a movie.
The DSL one of the lines was damaged and they are over capacity in our neighborhood.
The wireless one is a local company and if the wind blows it goes out.

My son works and goes to school online. I just need the service to work and work everyday. If I did not have 3 options where I am my son would have lost his job. It is very hard to find good jobs when you are epileptic and can't drive and I do not want to see him lose this job.

There are many small towns I loved in MA CT and NY but some had no broadband and DSL of less then 5mb, I won't consider those. Sometimes you are just one block or road away from the good service.

I know that some of the other tech people working for my son's employer have gotten internet tests in home inspections.I did not know how common it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate