Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 06:35 AM

23,804 posts, read 33,292,662 times

Advertisements

Our house was one of the last built with 2 garage doors. We'd rather have 2 doors as we don't open one side that often. The riding mower and snow blower are on that side. My hubs F150 doesn't fit in the garage. My side has popped 2 springs since we moved here in 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 09:25 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,051,260 times
I'm in a large new construction area (a planned urban community on the site of the former airport). It's pretty much all double garages with a single door. I'm single, with a teen, with one car. Having the single door means I can park in the middle of the garage and I use either side for storage. The garages are small - you can squeeze two cars in but that means you have pretty much zero storage. If/when my kid gets a car, he will have to park on the street because I'm not giving up all the storage I currently have in there.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:16 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,393,133 times
There is almost never enough room to comfortably enter / exit with a single 2-car garage door. Most households have at least one vehicle larger than a sedan. Be it a van, SUV, or pickup.

These may be the size of two full single doors, but you lose the additional space that used to exist between them. Even if that was just 12-18".

Old 04-30-2019, 12:15 PM

8,074 posts, read 10,003,189 times
I find this thread enlightening as to people's views on the subject.

I always assumed that putting one of those 18' doors on a garage and a half which was sold as a two car garage was just a cost cutting move. Smaller space, lower cost door, but still sold as a "two car" garage.

Putting two 10" doors on a full 24 or 26 foot garage was perceived by me as an upgrade. Full two car space, more cost for two doors totaling 20', and not having to squeeze in and out of the cars when you have two of them in there.

Guess I was wrong. People actually WANT the bigger door with the smaller space. Can't say I understand it, but it is interesting how people's wishes and desires vary from person to person.

I'll stick with my two 10' doors on a 26 by 26 space and be very happy to have the room.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

I always assumed that putting one of those 18' doors on a garage and a half which was sold as a two car garage was just a cost cutting move. Smaller space, lower cost door, but still sold as a "two car" garage.

Putting two 10" doors on a full 24 or 26 foot garage was perceived by me as an upgrade. Full two car space, more cost for two doors totaling 20', and not having to squeeze in and out of the cars when you have two of them in there.

Guess I was wrong. People actually WANT the bigger door with the smaller space. Can't say I understand it, but it is interesting how people's wishes and desires vary from person to person.

I'll stick with my two 10' doors on a 26 by 26 space and be very happy to have the room.
And who said you only have to have 2?

House hunting took me into a development yesterday where I found a home with 3 attached singles and a detached w/ one double-width.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:03 PM

28,395 posts, read 16,260,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

Why not a single 20' door on your 26'x26' garage?

Old 04-30-2019, 03:10 PM

17,004 posts, read 21,680,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I agree.. the big doors are cheaper, but they also need a lot more maintenence, as do their openers, and there is no redundancy.
This is 100% false!

The only thing heavy duty about a double door is the spring mounted above the door. The rest of the door is identical to a single door, same amount of rollers, the opener is usually slightly bigger HP.

Got a double door right now, 19 years old. One opener, one spring and it is used 10-12 times a day.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This is 100% false!

The only thing heavy duty about a double door is the spring mounted above the door. The rest of the door is identical to a single door, same amount of rollers, the opener is usually slightly bigger HP.

Got a double door right now, 19 years old. One opener, one spring and it is used 10-12 times a day.
Was hoping for a nice odd number...

Old 04-30-2019, 04:50 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,630,545 times
The only type of 2-car garage I've ever seen is where it's ONE rectangular door and it slides up. I've never heard of anything else.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:19 PM

7,670 posts, read 5,388,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
The only type of 2-car garage I've ever seen is where it's ONE rectangular door and it slides up. I've never heard of anything else.
Many homes with 2-car garages were and still are built with a single, tilt-up door like the upper left one on this page:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/350999364704186287/

There are lots of attractive ideas on that page, though the houses shown are predominately very modern, which is not my favorite style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate