Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 05:19 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
The deductible does not apply to a liability claim.

You don’t have to have a lawsuit to file a claim.

I swear I wish insurance and finances were part of remedial education in this country.
This! When our neighbor brought his snowblower over to clear our driveway( as a favor) and got his hand chewed up while trying to clear a clog, I never thought it was his tough luck, I took him to the hospital and alerted the insurance company myself. He didn't claim negligence, he just wanted his bills paid, and I figure that's exactly why I had insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 05:25 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
@Oklazona Bound
Quote:
This is just a troll thread. Nothing more. Typical, someone starts a thread saying ridiculous things kicks up a bunch of dust and then disappears.
Yeah, I guessing you're right. Sad, really.

@Maddie104
Quote:
Covering damages to property without injury vs. a broken arm are completely different situations.
As I said:
Quote:
The ceiling actually collapsed on the lower floor tenant.
Literally, the ceiling actually collapsed on the lower floor tenant. The woman wore a neck brace for months. She need months of physical therapy.

And, yes. With one telephone call, the guilty party's insurance covered this. She didn't need to go to court or hire a lawyer. The insurance company did it all.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:15 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Thanks for your concern. Considering no once can cover the cost of pain and suffering from an injury that was caused by a homeowner. How do you suggest someone be compensated by injury they didn't cause.? Would you be cool with me smacking you in the leg causing you to be bed ridden for weeks and affected for life? I'll just say, my bad? We are friends, is it cool? I'll be your friend. Set this up and I'll make it happen.
If you “ smack” someone - you go to jail- it is criminal.
When the mother broke her leg- it is most likely an accident.
Huge difference.
However, You sound like someone involved in this situation by the way you describe it- the sound of leg breaking...
Are you a “ roommate” for the mother with the broken leg?
Maybe you are trying to commit an insurance fraud and YOU made that hole and led that lady towards that hole and it caused that accident?and now trying to get money out of i her daughter’s homeowners insurance
You see? It could that way..
I think it is the fault of person who led that lady over the uneven surface and tripped her

Old 05-15-2019, 09:02 AM

21,925 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Very true in Mexico there are all sorts of hazards both walking and driving that would never happen in the US. We need tort reform in this country.
Well, when probably at least half of your Congress come from a lawyer background, it explains why it doesn't happen.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:43 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Unless you are suggesting the family pay the mother's pain and suffering out of their own pocket, this makes zero sense. A policy holder has no say over whether or not their insurance company pays a claim or when they pay it. I'm not saying an insurance company would automatically deny the claim, but intrafamily claims do often face extra scrutiny because they are a high risk for fraud.
I didn't think anyone would misunderstand my words, that "If insurance didn't pay up, I would do so myself." Yes, I am suggesting that the mother's pain and suffering must be compensated, even if it means that it will be paid out of pocket. That's what I would do, and that is the right thing to do.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:47 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I didn't think anyone would misunderstand my words, that "If insurance didn't pay up, I would do so myself." Yes, I am suggesting that the mother's pain and suffering must be compensated, even if it means that it will be paid out of pocket. That's what I would do, and that is the right thing to do.
Yes, well, most people don't have spare tens of thousands of dollars to pay for a pain and suffering claim. That's why they carry insurance in the first place. And it's your OPINION that it's "the right thing to do" - that's not a factual statement because many people think it's wrong to take money for an accidental event in the first place even if harm results.

Not to mention that at least in my family, my mother would never accept that kind of money from me anyway. Even if I were at fault for an injury she suffered, she might be persuaded to file a claim involving an insurance company - and even then, she'd hesitate knowing I could lose my insurance, face high premiums, etc. But the idea of taking 50K or 100K of money from me directly? Never going to happen.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:26 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
This! When our neighbor brought his snowblower over to clear our driveway( as a favor) and got his hand chewed up while trying to clear a clog, I never thought it was his tough luck, I took him to the hospital and alerted the insurance company myself. He didn't claim negligence, he just wanted his bills paid, and I figure that's exactly why I had insurance.
You are a wet dream for insurance. Go ahead and pay for another's ignorance in putting their hand in a operating shredder. Seriously this guys injury falls under inept ability to access before taking safety measures. Clearly you don't understand due diligence. Even if if was on your property.
No court would find you liable unless you had a gun to his head and was forcing his hand into the running aparatus. Which is criminal law ...

The positive though is you rendered aide and made a human effort to seek medical.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:39 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,921 times
I didn't get to read all of the responses. But I worked in the insurance industry for several years. While it may seem convenient for an injured person on your property to go through their health insurance, but guess what? Our opinions don't matter. The health insurance provider will have gotten word that this accident happened on someone's property. They will look to subjugate the claim. Wait, you don't know what that means? Ok, they will sue your property insurance company.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:47 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I worked in the insurance industry for several years.

Really?? Then why did you ask a whole series of very basic questions about insurance?

Old 05-15-2019, 03:57 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
You are a wet dream for insurance. Go ahead and pay for another's ignorance in putting their hand in a operating shredder. Seriously this guys injury falls under inept ability to access before taking safety measures. Clearly you don't understand due diligence. Even if if was on your property.
No court would find you liable unless you had a gun to his head and was forcing his hand into the running aparatus. Which is criminal law ...

The positive though is you rendered aide and made a human effort to seek medical.
Homeowners policies often have Medical Payments coverage, which is a no fault coverage solely for medical bills based on the fact that an injury occurred on the insured premises. No liability determination is involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate