Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 06:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,633,107 times

Advertisements

You can do whatever you want as far as terms for selling a house. Some houses are even sold as is without even being seen on the inside. Of course you take a financial hit in the price for that - usually. It depends on the market.

A contract and an inspector are, or should be the same thing. A home inspector should be a retired or at least experienced contractor. If not, the buyer should get a different home inspector. It is also prudent to bring a practicing contractor along so you know the cost of things. A former house we had, I was aware of a foundation issue. I was going to pull out of the deal but I brought in a contractor who said the repair would be $4,300. I split that with the owner, reduced the purchase price by $2,150, and bought the house. If I was not allowed to have a contractor come in and give me a price, I would have declined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 10:51 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,555,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
In what capacity? A member of the family? Can people bring along a buddy who is a contractor for a showing? Sure... done that many times, or dad, or brother, or cousin Frank, the plumber. Are they really "doing inspection" or are they just along for the ride giving friendly advice? This is one of those things where the only time it will make a bit of difference is if you are fighting about something in court, after much else has gone wrong. So... how much will it matter where it went off the rails?

It might matter if Someone broke something or fell off or fell through a roof and did a bunch of damage. If you are bringing along someone to inspect, make sure you have permission, and they have insurance to cover any damage they might do. Or buyer will be responsible... and I'm sure the agent(s) will be included just to be sure.

This is one of those issues that our Washington Association Legal Hotline lawyer has done many videos on and it's still confusing in application, even if it's very clear in the forms. Real life situations always seem more complicated. But the contract clearly says "buyer or licensed home inspector" and contractors can be brought in for "further evaluation based on inspector's recommendation"

My issue with contractors at showings or inspections is they're always walking around with a hammer and they want to pull things apart to look. They think with their hands, and you just simply can't do that in a pre-purchase inspection. You can't move anything, let alone do destructive investigations. Yet, at a bank owned home once, a contractor ripped up a rotted door frame in about two seconds, just poking around, before I could yell "STOP!" They have to be able to estimate based on what they can see, only. They don't like that. The listing agent was livid.
No, they don't ALWAYS walk around with a hammer and tear things up. This may have happened once, but it isn't the norm IME at all. Contractors are usually aware of their liabilities.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:57 AM

14,429 posts, read 11,989,150 times
Not meant as an insult at all, it's just that many contractors want to see inside things in order to give better estimates, and the limitations of Real Estate inspections don't really allow that.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:15 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,301,748 times
Quote:
Not meant as an insult at all, it's just that many contractors want to see inside things in order to give better estimates, and the limitations of Real Estate inspections don't really allow that.
Sure they do. And it is often easy if there is a real issue. You simply get permission from the seller. An intelligent seller will seldom refuse if there is a real issue.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sure they do. And it is often easy if there is a real issue. You simply get permission from the seller. An intelligent seller will seldom refuse if there is a real issue.

Really? You've had sellers willing to let a buyer tear a hole in a wall for an inspection?

I might agree it's smart to take issues seriously, but most sellers don't want to be left with a torn open wall and a buyer who walked.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:16 PM

201 posts, read 198,047 times
Well, I am OK to have GC come "after" inspection. The reason is that they proceeded with the GC first FOR FREE because this GC is unaware of the pending. So he wants to make $$ and threw some large dollars. For example, siding was rotted a bit on bottom in 2 spots. I imagined he told the buyer to replace entire siding because it will go bad and flood everything. That kinda thing!!

Old 05-15-2019, 12:21 PM

What do you mean he's "unware of the pending" ?

Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,301,748 times
Quote:
Really? You've had sellers willing to let a buyer tear a hole in a wall for an inspection?

I might agree it's smart to take issues seriously, but most sellers don't want to be left with a torn open wall and a buyer who walked.
Actually the last one we were at contract and in the course of the inspection we found water damage in a corner of a room. We suspected it was an external problem of a minor sort and told the seller we would take the house with the hole if that was true. If it was more serious we would re-dicker the purchase. The seller agreed and we had our plumber handyman open about a 3 square foot hole. it was a minor problem and we bought the place. Simply had the hole fixed in the painting of the house. It was all friendly getting to the bottom of the problem sort of deal. I would also note we were careful how the hole was made so it was a 20 minute repair.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:07 PM

201 posts, read 198,047 times
Quote:
What do you mean he's "unware of the pending" ?
The contractor doesn't know what is going on. His goal is to come give big estimate and walk away.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:15 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 27 days ago)

43,190 posts, read 76,875,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qhoc View Post
The contractor doesn't know what is going on. His goal is to come give big estimate and walk away.
Plenty of agents are also trades-experienced, and also have a volume of knowledge of construction.
It is the buyers agent's job to help their buyers avoid serious errors.

So, you fixed what needed fixed?
Provide records and disclose the extent of repairs, including the licensed professional who did them, in your presentational materials, or on MLS.
And, fix the cosmetic stuff.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 05-15-2019 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate