U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:12 PM

432 posts, read 1,797,718 times

Advertisements

I am now in hour two of my second open house. We've had a good turnout. I have a large cat who is very aggressive, and it does no good to shut him in a room that has to be opened to show a buyer. So I have him in a large kennel, big enough for the dog who passed it down to us.

For two solid hours there has been nothing but the call of the wild around here. He is literally grabbing the bars of the kennel and shaking them. He is rocking the kennel. The howling is nonstop. This happened the first time too.

My vet said to feed him valerian root as a sedative. Well, try to trick him into eating it. This is not working.

Because he is so aggressive, I really have run out of people who could have him come "visit" for a few hours. He is quick, impulsive, and capable of doing a lot of damage very quickly. So he has to stay in kitty jail when I have an open house, and I hold him when the house is shown at other times.

Last night he knocked all the houseplants over onto the newly shampooed rug. Any ideas on how to shut up a disturbed 20 lb monsterkitty who clearly does not want to move?

I seriously do not want buyers to remember this house as "the one where that cat was making that horrible noise".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 01:41 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,202,546 times
I would remove him from the house when it's open to buyers. Cats can be a big turnoff, especially for people with allergies. good luck!

Old 04-13-2008, 01:47 PM

8,190 posts, read 29,787,303 times
Ask your vet for some Acepromazine tablets. It is a tranquilizer and it will turn your hell spawn into a limp noodle for a little while.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:11 PM

529 posts, read 2,594,700 times
Take the cat to day boarding for the duration of the open house. Not only will you have better showings, the cat will be less stressed and won't have to be drugged.

Good luck with you house

Old 04-14-2008, 06:07 AM

150 posts, read 692,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
Take the cat to day boarding for the duration of the open house. Not only will you have better showings, the cat will be less stressed and won't have to be drugged.

Good luck with you house
I agree with you 100% - I have three cats and I am going to take them for a ride (to a local lake 2 minutes from my home in three seperate cages) if and when I have an open house. If they totally freak out I will bring them to the vet for a day of boarding.

I would not give an animal any drugs.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:31 AM

3,855 posts, read 12,494,465 times
Good grief that cat sounds mean. How old his he? Has he been fixed?

Anyway...if I were looking I wouldn't be turned off by it a bit. A lot of people have pets. I toured an open house yesterday and the owners had a cat. They didn't bother even locking it up. It was just sleeping in a chair in their master bedroom. When I passed by I woke it up and it scared me to death because usually when you go look at a house nothing moves. That kind of cat is probably ok to leave out because it was really mellow. But it sounds like your cat is not mellow at all.

We have a small dog who's about 8 lbs. She gets overexcited when new people come. So we take her for a ride when we have a showing or open house.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 AM

529 posts, read 2,594,700 times
Default Let's see him

Will you post a picture of him? Sounds like he has quite personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
I am now in hour two of my second open house. We've had a good turnout. I have a large cat who is very aggressive, and it does no good to shut him in a room that has to be opened to show a buyer. So I have him in a large kennel, big enough for the dog who passed it down to us.

For two solid hours there has been nothing but the call of the wild around here. He is literally grabbing the bars of the kennel and shaking them. He is rocking the kennel. The howling is nonstop. This happened the first time too.

My vet said to feed him valerian root as a sedative. Well, try to trick him into eating it. This is not working.

Because he is so aggressive, I really have run out of people who could have him come "visit" for a few hours. He is quick, impulsive, and capable of doing a lot of damage very quickly. So he has to stay in kitty jail when I have an open house, and I hold him when the house is shown at other times.

Last night he knocked all the houseplants over onto the newly shampooed rug. Any ideas on how to shut up a disturbed 20 lb monsterkitty who clearly does not want to move?

I seriously do not want buyers to remember this house as "the one where that cat was making that horrible noise".

Old 04-14-2008, 12:19 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,880,095 times
If you have a car or a garage, put the cage and cat in it during showings/open houses.

I appreciate that your vet is taking an alternative medicine approach to your problem, but IMO the chances that valerian is going to calm a truly maniacal kitty are slim to none. When a sedative is really necessary, choose one that is both safe and proven effective in cooperation with your vet (no contraindications in your cat's health situation).

You might want to try the Pet forum as well. Normally you would gradually accustom the cat to the crate by putting something nice to eat or fun to play with inside it at a quiet time, and let the cat go in/out by himself for short periods.

Good luck!

Old 04-14-2008, 12:20 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,639,721 times
I would be turned off also. If you have him in a kennel, is there any reason, you can't put the kennel in the garage or outside in the yard away from the house? We have two small dogs and we had a realtor come over last week. We just kept them in their crate and put the crate outside.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 PM

3,855 posts, read 12,494,465 times
I looked at another home a while back (forgot about this one) and the owners had their dog in a pet carrier in the downstairs family room. It was going absolutely nuts barking at us. Poor guy was just trying to protect his home from all these strange people. I felt bad for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate