Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 07:45 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times

Advertisements

Another option is to allow this one last extension if they agree to no longer sue for more extensions regardless of HOA issues and letting them know they will be lose their earnest money if they can't comply and have it in writing with them signing on video. If they can't agree to that you know they are just stringing you along and are not ready to close. Ask your listing agent for help and advice or any ideas and tell him to talk to their listing agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 09:33 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFOtoJFK View Post
Buyers were to close the PURCHASE OF MY CONDO on May 15, but then sent me an extension till 23rd. I agreed. Now, they’re still not ready and want to extend again till 30th of May, because when I called escrow they said buyers don’t have loan documents yet or didn’t provide. Can I get out of the deal? If so, buyers might sue us, they confirmed that to my agent. The reason being that HOA delays providing docs. Since HOA is technically on my side, I could be sued.
Time is of essence is present in the agreement.

What are the HOA docs the buyers are waiting for? The CCRs and other applicable docs must be recorded in the chain of title to be valid. As such, they are public docs. Our CCRs are also on the HOA web site. If they want a statement that no dues are owing or no violations are being pursued by the HOA, then light a fire under the HOA to provide the info. I am surprised your agent has not done so. A couple of years ago, we sold a house subject an HOA. The agent contacted them immediately after we received an offer to produce their docs.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:41 AM

768 posts, read 859,390 times
How can you be sued if the contract calls for closing at a date certain and that does not happen? You have a voidable contract and if you want to "decline" an extension, you can. You have extended twice now, correct? It is reasonable for you to request a non-refundable extension to their earnest money for a 3rd extension. It is your HOA. Why don't you speak to them yourself?

Old 05-26-2019, 12:02 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFOtoJFK View Post
Buyers were to close the PURCHASE OF MY CONDO on May 15, but then sent me an extension till 23rd. I agreed. Now, they’re still not ready and want to extend again till 30th of May, because when I called escrow they said buyers don’t have loan documents yet or didn’t provide. Can I get out of the deal? If so, buyers might sue us, they confirmed that to my agent. The reason being that HOA delays providing docs. Since HOA is technically on my side, I could be sued.
Time is of essence is present in the agreement.

Escrow company said buyers didn't provide loan documents.

I would suggest calling the escrow company again to be clear on what documents are missing. The HOA nonsense sounds like a distraction.

As to whether to extend or not, that is up to you.

IIRC, contracts we've signed say contingent on obtaining financing. If yours is the same, it means if they can't get the financing lined up, they can walk and take their earnest money with them.

You may want to consider offering the extension with the contingency that if it doesn't close by the 30th, financing or no financing, you keep the earnest money.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:09 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Both statements above could be true.... the lender could be holding up the loan documents until something with the HOA is verified.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:26 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Smart condo buyers want to see the condo association financial reports to assess the strength of the association and their reserves.
It can be difficult to acquire those statements.

In some areas, the sellers are responsible to arrange delivery of that information, per local rules and law and/or their contract. OP says, "...since the HOA is on our side..."
I.e., the OP is wondering if they are at fault, in breach, etc.

The only right answer for the OP is, "What does your contract say? What do your local rules and laws say?"

Old 05-27-2019, 12:14 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,913,458 times
I've seen hoa and condo documents several times but did not know it was kind of confusing and difficult in Florida. A friend sent me this. Not very recent but she says it's still the same so I guess I can understand the delay:
https://www.legalscoopswflre.com/con...ts-in-florida/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate