Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 08:35 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times

Advertisements

We may have found our new house in another state. I assume our local realtor will want to list our old house yesterday, but I’m inclined to wait until we’ve actually moved out and our personal belongings are removed. Caveat: Owning two houses for a while isn’t much of a concern for us.

So what are we missing if we wait to list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 08:44 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
nothing that is negative, except for possibly timing. Honestly, you should have decided this months ago. You seem like a pretty good planner, data analyzer, etc. You are in a great financial situation though that not many folks enjoy.

Does your CHI Realtor even know you're moving? You should give them a headsup now. If "June" is absolute peak selling season there, then you should be on the market in June. If you're not moving to CLT until end of August, then September might be a very different selling month where you are.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:45 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Do you have a prime market season for resale for your current house?
You may not want to miss it.

If not, I would wait. But, I strongly prefer vacant listings for myriad reasons of convenience and safety for owners and their personal property.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:17 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
We do it both ways all the time, but if money and time are not issues, then it is definitely easier on you to list the home after it is vacant and empty!

Old 05-24-2019, 09:19 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times
Our local realtor has looked at our house and we've been through everything - pricing, terms, etc. , they're just waiting for us to give them the word. If our offer is accepted, I'll give them a heads up with our closing date and move date, but we're up in the air on when to list. Again, I assume they'll want to list sooner rather than later to maximize time listed during peak season, but they don't have to prepare/secure the house for showings.

I'm told peak season here is Spring and then until school starts, I assume that's true many places. It sounds like we'll be closing on the next house 3rd week in June and I haven't made any contacts yet but I want to move our stuff the week after. We had a pre-inspection on local house with no major findings, and we've been doing little projects on the house for months, so it should be ready to list by July 1. That gives us July, Aug and maybe Sept? Listing now adds June, but a lot of hassle with showings?

Thanks Bo, Mike, Diana.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:38 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
We’ve done it both ways with different houses. As the owner, it is nicer to have yourself and belongings out, and no worries about having to leave for viewings. But it is also a worry whether every agent will turn off lights, lock doors, etc when you cannot check. A good neighbor is invaluable in things like this, and of course they get to know more of what is happening in terms of the neighbor-to-be.

The bad thing with moving out first is the potential buyers who will try to angle for a lowball price based on assuming you moved out first due to wanting to sell immediately due to financial pressure. Very strange assumption, since you are not the only sellers who can afford to wait for a better buyer.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:21 AM

548 posts, read 1,217,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm told peak season here is Spring and then until school starts, I assume that's true many places. It sounds like we'll be closing on the next house 3rd week in June and I haven't made any contacts yet but I want to move our stuff the week after. We had a pre-inspection on local house with no major findings, and we've been doing little projects on the house for months, so it should be ready to list by July 1. That gives us July, Aug and maybe Sept? Listing now adds June, but a lot of hassle with showings?

Thanks Bo, Mike, Diana.
I would have another discussion with your realtor about peak season. If activity really drops off dramatically if families can't move in before the school year starts, then you are really only giving yourself one month (or even just a couple weeks) to sell your house because even if a buyer jumps on it early/mid July they likely won't close for another month, which (depending on when exactly school starts in your area) could just squeak in before the beginning of school. So I think you need to know more about how important it is to sell during peak season, when school starts in your area, and the expected days on market for your house to know whether you need to rush to list or not.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:35 PM

577 posts, read 494,013 times
Out of school home sales marketing is a plus, but not a deal breaker IMO. A good piece of property can get an offer ….on Christmas Eve.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:55 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,526,537 times
We always move out first. It’s never been a issue. Too disruptive for our dogs and having to keep the house pristine at all times gets old.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:05 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,921,245 times
If you are really flexible, and want to maximize your results, ask your agent.

Sometimes a house shows better with spare and well-chosen furnishing. But be prepared to hear that the house will show better without your stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate