U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2019, 06:55 PM
 
Location: NC
1,873 posts, read 2,095,622 times
Reputation: 1797

Advertisements

After another buyers offer fell thru, I’m told we’re under contract and due diligence ends Jun 13. We’re told the buyers home inspection came back clean, so it fell thru for financing or some other buyer issue. The seller/listing agent has offered to give us that recent inspection. I assume I should pay for my own inspection and not accept the other buyers inspection report, though the home is less than 3 years old?

What other inspections should we do, and not do on a 2016 build home? I will ask our realtor but she’s young, so not as much experience as ideal. I tried to bring up the NCAR form with all the potential inspections I thought I’d seen, but the site appears to be members only.

Input would be welcome, but I realize it’s our realtors duty to advise.

Last edited by Midpack; 05-24-2019 at 07:13 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2019, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
39,056 posts, read 67,653,801 times
Reputation: 39951
You really are overdue to speak with your agent’s supervisor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 07:15 PM
 
Location: NC
1,873 posts, read 2,095,622 times
Reputation: 1797
Fair enough, though it seems like an inopportune time to do so, between a signed contact and closing in about three weeks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
10,115 posts, read 6,898,408 times
Reputation: 27641
You should ~know~ if you are under contract... I'm concerned about you being uncertain about that.

The due diligence period is really long.... did you ask for it to be that long? Other NC people... is that typical?

I would take the free inspection if they're offering it, but also get your own. Ask your agent to refer you to a few home inspectors... Even if she's new, she should have an office full of experienced agents she can get good referrals from and lean on for help. Go to the inspection and learn all you can from the inspector about your house. If you are given the names of three, talk to all three and see which one seems the easiest for you to talk to and learn from.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
39,056 posts, read 67,653,801 times
Reputation: 39951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Fair enough, though it seems like an inopportune time to do so, between a signed contact and closing in about three weeks.

And, if you wait, it will be less time.
When the client has confidence issues with the agent, management wants to hear about it.


You have a list of likely items you may want to confirm in your Offer to Purchase, under "Buyer Due Diligence," and that is a good starting point.


Personally, I would accept a copy of the inspection by the former buyer for information purposes, and would not concede the right to perform my own inspections.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
10,115 posts, read 6,898,408 times
Reputation: 27641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Fair enough, though it seems like an inopportune time to do so, between a signed contact and closing in about three weeks.

Wait.... closing in three weeks? Do you have due diligence and closing ending at the same time? Could be... I just want to make sure you're sure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
10,115 posts, read 6,898,408 times
Reputation: 27641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
What other inspections should we do, and not do on a 2016 build home? I will ask our realtor but she’s young, so not as much experience as ideal. I tried to bring up the NCAR form with all the potential inspections I thought I’d seen, but the site appears to be members only.

Input would be welcome, but I realize it’s our realtors duty to advise.
Do you have financing or are you cash?

If financing, ask your loan officer what inspections and certifications you will need.

Some lenders and some local jurisdictions require testing of the well and septic, if it has them.

Your lender will hopefully know what else might be called for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Research Triangle Area, NC
5,368 posts, read 3,998,222 times
Reputation: 7825
1. ALWAYS get your own inspection and make sure you include a WDI inspection too. If the house is on septic/well...add that on.

2. If you are getting a loan; get on your loan officer to get the appraisal ordered ASAP.

3. Your agent should be advising you on all of this....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 08:44 PM
 
Location: NC
1,873 posts, read 2,095,622 times
Reputation: 1797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You should ~know~ if you are under contract... I'm concerned about you being uncertain about that.

The due diligence period is really long.... did you ask for it to be that long? Other NC people... is that typical?
We esigned an offer, they verbally accepted and then our agent texted and said we’re under contract so I assume we are though I have not seen the signed contract. Today our agent was near Charlotte, we’re near Chicago and the sellers are house hunting in TN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Wait.... closing in three weeks? Do you have due diligence and closing ending at the same time? Could be... I just want to make sure you're sure.
In the contract our agent put due diligence ending Jun 13 and close on Jun 19 (sellers request). Sounded fine to us so we signed, and evidently seller did too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Do you have financing or are you cash?

If financing, ask your loan officer what inspections and certifications you will need.

Some lenders and some local jurisdictions require testing of the well and septic, if it has them.

Your lender will hopefully know what else might be called for.
We’re cash buyers, no financing - no lender.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
10,115 posts, read 6,898,408 times
Reputation: 27641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We esigned an offer, they verbally accepted and then our agent texted and said we’re under contract so I assume we are though I have not seen the signed contract. Today our agent was near Charlotte, we’re near Chicago and the sellers are house hunting in TN.
In the contract our agent put due diligence ending Jun 13 and close on Jun 19 (sellers request). Sounded fine to us so we signed, and evidently seller did too.
We’re cash buyers, no financing - no lender.

OK - Sounds good. It's a long due diligence period... that's in your favor, in the event you want to do more research and inspections.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top