Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 09:27 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
What about the clutter makes you uneasy? The fact that you're going to have to remove it or that something's hidden underneath it or what?

You know what's worse than clutter? I walked into a duplex about a month ago and there were 17 homeless folks living inside. Urinating in the corners, using the carpet as an ash tray, piled up trash and human waste everywhere. A little clutter is an easy clean up compared to some of the stuff we run into.
Good point.

I went to many foreclosed homes over the years and some were quite rough and definitely needed lots of work before moving in. Most of the really bad conditioned ones seemed like homeless people had been squatting in them since they smelled of pee, and had walls destroyed and missing fixtures. Sometimes if a house has been empty a while, it will attract squatters, thieves, drug users or bored teens.

Places like I mentioned above needed sweat equity and contractors to get fixed up to live in. Someone's personal tastes with tacky decoration (and or clutter) is of course another matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 10:34 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk1234 View Post
OMG! What were they thinking?
If I was the Seller's real estate agent, I would highly advise them to hire a staging professional and the need to tone down the visuals and REMOVE the crap.
Some buyers are able to see pass the furniture and decor but most buyers are not able to get pass this eyesore. Just looking at these pics are a major turnoff to consider setting one foot into this house.

This house is probably owned by an elderly couple who are ready to move to a smaller place. The house makes a distinct statement and I’m sure many people won’t be able to get past it. This type of decorating only hurts the sellers, because they will probably get offers substantially less than the asking price. It takes time and hard work to remove wallpaper, and that kitchen is going to cost a lot to make it something suitable to cook in.

A stager is a good idea, or just price it for a quick sale. I’ve had unbelievably snarky/fussy comments about past houses and so have friends. The public is a strange animal. Better to just get on board than be stubborn and expect people to love your collection of Zuni drawings.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:20 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Old 07-05-2019, 12:28 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
‘In matters of taste, there can be no disputes’. This is especially true when trying to sell a house.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:32 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Are you buying the walls & roof of the home or the furniture? I think the furniture is nice & suits the rooms. but when buying a home, you have to see it, with your own furniture/decorating style.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:31 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk1234 View Post
OMG! What were they thinking?

I might still buy if location, floor plan, and price were all right. The price would have to pay me for my time to haul all of that out of there.

I think I'd even leave the artwork on the kitchen cabinets. It wouldn't be so awful if the rest of the area was light colored and neutral. That's some seriously good and talented artwork on those cabinets and I'd hate to destroy it. Just, there shouldn't be anything competing with it. It should be the sole feature and the only focus.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:54 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I would absolutely keep those crazy cabinets if I bought that house. How can you not? I think a good sense of humor about these things is healthy. That kitchen is a conversation piece if there ever was one.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
You think that is cluttered - take a look at this. But hurry, it's under contract.https://www.redfin.com/TX/Buda/311-T...RCHnToSJ76A7jM
Wow that woman kept Hobby Lobby in business!

I would have loved to see her agent's face the first time she walked in that kitchen.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:36 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Oh, my. Did you read this part? "Historical Texans burial plot in front yard."
It took me a minute, but I found a description of who is buried there.

On Google maps, it just looks like a rock wall flower bed next to their neighbor's driveway. But apparently it has five burials in it.

The site was the victim of vandalism over the years, so the homeowner unfortunately removed the headstones in an effort to make it less of a target, but he kept them in his garage.

In this listing, it's called the Winters Cemetery:

Histories of Hays County Cemeteries ? S through Z

There are quite a few small family cemeteries located throughout my town. This area used to be just farmland, and people were buried on their family farms. The history is fascinating, and the cemeteries can be so beautiful. It's illegal to tamper with them here.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:06 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
That's for sure.

The kitchen is downright busy as another poster said, but not cluttered.

And the houses other people think are fine, some would say 'barren' or 'sterile' or 'cold'. It's all an opinion & preference.
Yup, and the OP and I (along with a few other posters) are of the opinion that the house is cluttered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate