U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2019, 02:32 PM

201 posts, read 137,979 times

Advertisements

When I bought my 2 houses in the last decade, my agent never told me to do final walk-thru before escrow work done. Now I am selling my house and it IS THE THING.

So is it something just pops up recent years? Is it something the buyer agent offers ONLY when being asked?

What is the risk for the seller if things falling apart on that day?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 04:45 PM

10,078 posts, read 6,870,537 times
Very common to ask for it…

No reason to worry unless there is something changed since the offer was made- or something you were supposed to do but didn’t.

It’s just insurance and peace of mind to confirm that everything is as it should be and the place has not burned to the ground before they go in and sign.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Very common to ask for it…

No reason to worry unless there is something changed since the offer was made- or something you were supposed to do but didn’t.

It’s just insurance and peace of mind to confirm that everything is as it should be and the place has not burned to the ground before they go in and sign.
Agree. I am kinda disappointed about my last two buyer agents as they have not mentioned such “right”.

I was always concerned about seller leaving a mess of the house and called my agent but he was like: don’t worry, it’s all will be OK, blah blah. Well it turned out fine except a big wooden DIY table bolted into the garage wall, which I don’t care much. But if I knew my right back then, I would request that thing to be removed. Now it will cost me $500 to hire someone.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:53 PM

12,587 posts, read 11,158,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qhoc View Post
When I bought my 2 houses in the last decade, my agent never told me to do final walk-thru before escrow work done. Now I am selling my house and it IS THE THING.

So is it something just pops up recent years? Is it something the buyer agent offers ONLY when being asked?

What is the risk for the seller if things falling apart on that day?
These Real Estate chats sites have made sellers/buyers less trusting.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
These Real Estate chats sites have made sellers/buyers less trusting.
Well after I went through what others have done to me, I knew what to do next time around. But also as a seller, I got highly sophisticated buyers who probably had done years of research. It’s no longer love and trust (in some cases). It’s just business and we must know the rules of the game. Frankly I didn’t like my previous buyer agent at all because he merely a person who has access to the lockbox.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:37 PM

5,361 posts, read 3,987,286 times
Final walk-through is, without exception, scheduled an hour before closing for any buyer I represent.

I have two listings closing tomorrow and only one of them has scheduled a final walk through and they did it this afternoon.

I feel like it should be a given that a buyer does a final walk-through before closing and I like for it to be as "last minute" as possible for my buyers.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Final walk-through is, without exception, scheduled an hour before closing for any buyer I represent.

I have two listings closing tomorrow and only one of them has scheduled a final walk through and they did it this afternoon.

I feel like it should be a given that a buyer does a final walk-through before closing and I like for it to be as "last minute" as possible for my buyers.
You are a good buyer agent. My last two did not even mention about this option. As a matter of fact, I once asked him to go into the house pending to measure furniture and he said no.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:00 PM

10,704 posts, read 6,042,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qhoc View Post
Agree. I am kinda disappointed about my last two buyer agents as they have not mentioned such “right”.

I was always concerned about seller leaving a mess of the house and called my agent but he was like: don’t worry, it’s all will be OK, blah blah. Well it turned out fine except a big wooden DIY table bolted into the garage wall, which I don’t care much. But if I knew my right back then, I would request that thing to be removed. Now it will cost me $500 to hire someone.
If the workbench is bolted into the wall it is a fixture, not furniture and it would normally stay with the house. I can't imagine why it would cost anywhere near $500 to have it removed.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:49 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,702,941 times
Walkthrough is done the night before or shortly before going to the attorney's office to sign paperwork & close.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:59 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,592,582 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHANLC9JtWI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate