Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2019, 01:34 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times

Advertisements

Especially on a compact urban lot I find them to be often problematic by their development of the house and landscaping to echo their neighbors with the building away from the street resulting in an open to the public yard to maintain with minimal private space behind the house. When it should be hard against the street setbacks with courtyard walls and landscaping to create privacy and noise attenuation yielding the largest private space as possible behind the building and walls.

More of a urban compound style of design rather than a suburban useless spreading lawn type of development.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 03:21 PM

11 posts, read 5,781 times
We've lived on a corner lot for 30 years and love it. We planted a cedar hedge soon after moving in on 2 sides which has grown to create privacy and keeps people from cutting across the yard. We have driveways off of each street (one leads to a garage) so have plenty of off-street parking.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:26 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,659,433 times
Corner lot land is valued higher by my city and so is tax and the lot is larger. I love corner lots, you don’t have the feeling of being squeezed in.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:00 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,292 times
We were first time home buyers when we bought our house on a corner lot. I thought that only having a single neighbor would be a big plus, and that part was nice.

What wasn't nice was that our house was picked as the bus stop for years. Kids every morning walking all over our yard, dropping trash, homework etc.

We also were responsible for the entire easement on that side of the house, even though it belonged to the city. We put in drought tolerant plants, pea gravel, and drip, and those bus stop kids kicked the gravel all over, stepped on the plants, broke the drip.

Being the corner house meant a larger lot so more mowing of the lawn. More susceptible to break-ins. When the fence starting showing water damage and needed to be replaced it was a huge cost for only us to pay since we didn't share the fence with a neighbor.

We sold that house a few years ago and our current house is not a corner house, so glad for that!

Old 05-31-2019, 09:07 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
I grew up in a house on a corner lot and I hated it. I felt like we were living in a fishbowl and lacked privacy. Therefore, my real estate searches weed out corner lots.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:27 PM

480 posts, read 316,432 times
A corner lot is good and bad as mentioned. I would likely landscape with nice thorny bushes like Holly or pyrocantha's.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:37 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
I love it when agents try to overcome popular opinion by advertising as “Desirable corner lot!” as if that was what everyone was lusting after. A comma would help there as in the House was desirable AND on a (neutral comment) corner lot. Desirable, corner lot.

Meanwhile thank heavens for real estate advertising sites that show lot lines.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
We love our corner lot! Of course, our neighborhood has very little traffic, even at commute times. We have a house next door on one side, that we never see due to those walls not having windows. On the other side is the side street, and trees filter the view. The house next to us on the other side around the corner just has one end wall facing the corner of our back yard. It's very private and quiet. Our driveway holds 4-6 cars depending on size, but for a big event we can have another 4 in front and 8 on the side, where we never have any neighbors or their guests park. It is a little larger, at 12,000 sf while most in the neighborhood are 10-11,000.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:13 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,410,734 times
Does the corner lots increase the house value if side streets not so busy?

Old 02-27-2020, 08:43 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
In my neighborhood all the corner lots are exactly the same size as the non-corner lots. One advantage is that you can have a side entry garage which gives you a little more yard space.

Fortunately we only have sidewalks on the main streets not the cross streets. Edging a sidewalk all along the side of the house as well as across the front would get old real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate