Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 05:33 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
I recently put a 92% offer (based on the list price) on a home that I believed was listed above its market value based on comps. The seller countered to 96% and removed the fridge from the deal. I countered back to my best and final offer of 94% and added back the fridge (and agreed to pay buyer's closing costs). Seller then countered again to 95% and removed the fridge, pushed back the closing date. I decided to walk away.

Do you think I'm being unreasonable? It seems silly to walk away over a $8,000 difference but I feel the house was already overpriced for the immediate subdivision with a higher price per square foot than recent sales. It does have other nice things about it like a landscaped yard and an enclosed, air conditioned patio which differentiates it from the others.

After walking away, I see that the seller has now reduced his asking price (to 95% of original) and is having an open house this weekend.
It's your money, offer what you feel is right for the home, be prepared to walk away and only you can determine whether you feel that home is worth that extra 8k out of pocket. Home pricing is sort of like speculation of the price of the corn markets.

Extreme example: I work with an investor client that buys homes when they come to market in a specific area of town, one came available recently that was grossly over-priced for condition. I called the listing agent, introduced myself and plainly asked her why her price was so high. She stated she was from a different city, didn't know the area and was using sold comps.

They were asking 650k for a home that needed 175k worth of rehab. We offered 300k cash. Granted that home, if it were fully renovated will bring 650k, but not in the condition it was in.

The moral is don't be afraid to offer what the home is worth. Also, if you can get past the pride part of things and you still really want the home, write another offer, but this time include a letter explaining your position. Sometimes if you put some human emotion in your letter and include it with your offer, it can make the negotiation that much easier.

It's all educated guesses, so it really comes down to your perception of a good deal. If you feel it's a good deal then go for it, if you don't and you buy it anyways, you'd probably always be 2nd guessing yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 01:06 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
while various states' Offer document may pre-include free-standing appliances, I feel very confident that the definition of "personal property" and "fixture" is the same throughout the land. We are only talking whether it's customary to specifically note certain personal property, like refrigerators or washer/dryers, in the Offer/contract.

Lenders allow major appliances on the standard Offer/contract. They don't allow patio furniture, curtains that are not fixtures, pieces of furniture, etc.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I think the OP is hung up over price per sq ft and percentages. Do you like the house? Do you want it? Can you afford it? Buy it and quit pizzing about minor price adjustments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate