U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 01:34 PM

8 posts, read 2,875 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! The house we have put an offer on will be our 2nd home purchase and we have never lived in the midwest so we don't know if mold and termites are just a given. Not much available in the area & the comps range from $193k-$222k. The age of house is 1988 and at $325K. However, this house is larger and on a lakefront and has a detached 3-car garage (perfect for the workshop I need). It looks beautiful inside and many things like the master bath have been updated. Well, it appears my friends, they have put lipstick on a pig. The disclosure said they were aware of a small crack in the basement floor and NOTHING ELSE. Here is what the inspection revealed. Please help me understand how big of a deal these things are and how I might prioritize them.:

Electric: "No GFCI protection present in home attached garage OR detached garage. Some exterior lights were out. Damaged front patio outlet. Loose wire on attic light. Three breakers are double tapped in panel. Open knockouts present in panel. Recommend installing blanks in panel cover to prevent access to hot wiring. Door bell transformer noted in panel which can cause excessive heat build up. Recommend removing transformer and installing on the outside of the service panel by a qualified electrical contractor. Open junction boxes present in home. Some lights and smoke detectors are hanging by wiring. Open splices present in home. No CO detectors. Open grounded outlets in home."

Pest: Shelter tubes (termites) found on wall and sillplate in basement under garage walk-in door. No evidence of past termite treatment. Boreholes from carpeter bees on deck.

The roof is listed to be 2-11 years old. Inspector listed a defective roof truss repair but noted it was dry. It also said "Vent stack in attic on east attic shows signs of previous seepage." and listed as defective. The entire deck is completely defective. The wood is rotted through from water and carpeter bees. So is the lower patio where the wood is. The deck isn't bolted to house and the railings are loose. This is a 30k issue-- but we knew that when we saw it.

Mold The house is on a slant so the street drains into the lake and apparently that may be what has caused moisture in the basement. "Recommend Mold Mitigation Contractor to address fungal growth in lower water heater room."

Plumbing "Low water pressure when more than one fixture is running (possible clog?), upper bathroom fixtures leak, Upper bathroom shower engagement stops when other fixtures are running. Bathroom shower leaks during operation." The garbage disposal has been seized (what are they doing? I think there has to be a clog..) Also, they are on a septic system.

HVAC They have central air conditioning but have baseboard heating. The air conditioning unit is 31 years old, and so are the heat exchangers for the baseboard heating. "Incorrect shut-off handle present over water heater. I could not get main middle level to get any heat to baseboards, recommend further evaluation by a licensed HVAC contractor."

There are other things- some broken siding, broken exterior lights, and outlets, and a door that has to be replaced but the big issues are above. We have only gotten back to them on the termites and requested they treat for them. I wanted a termite bond and our realtor made me feel like I was ridiculous for asking. There are so many safety/liveability issues above that I want to ask the seller what they are willing to do before the closing (3 weeks!) and then we can say Yes or No and walk away. Is this a dumb plan? I'm overwhelmed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 01:45 PM

201 posts, read 117,019 times
Quote:
Plumbing "Low water pressure when more than one fixture is running (possible clog?), upper bathroom fixtures leak, Upper bathroom shower engagement stops when other fixtures are running. Bathroom shower leaks during operation." The garbage disposal has been seized (what are they doing? I think there has to be a clog..) Also, they are on a septic system.
This is going to be expensive and risky. I had this issue and never got it fixed. The pipes must be redone completely.

I would say IF You really want the house, discount it signficcantly and plan on complete redone.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:04 PM

9,845 posts, read 2,836,037 times
That would be too much for me and I'd walk.
Those are all high dollar fixes.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:07 PM

Thanks so much qhoc. The inspector never really gave me a sense of what would cause the low water pressure but then I read that a clog can do that. When we read about the garbage disposal we thought that was silly and it's an easy fix... but they are living there with it broken and something seems off to me.

Can you tell me what you discovered? Was it low water pressure that you thought could be fixed? Did you have to redo all the piping? Do you have a reason why like mineral buildup or a leak?

Old 05-31-2019, 02:23 PM

9,845 posts, read 2,836,037 times
Hard water with no water softener could easily do that especially from 1988 onward if nothing was ever done.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:28 PM

They definitely do have soft water. The owner of the house actually owns a soft water business. Ironic! If they are galvanized pipes (I'm not sure it says anywhere what they are but I know they aren't polybutylene) then could they corrode that much even with soft water? I'm clueless.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:51 PM

12,018 posts, read 9,693,419 times
I would walk, TOO MANY issues and the home seems overpriced. End the contract. If you really want it I would tell them to fix everything pay for the inspector to come back and you will proceed, and if they want to sell they either have to do it or sell to some rube who uses a bad inspector.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:58 PM

8,411 posts, read 12,727,283 times
We are dealing with some issues similar or just as serious with yours with a vacation house we are trying to buy. What I don't think the seller realized was that by signing that disclosure statement, it obligates him to fix a lot of the issues. Find out what your seller is legally obligated to do.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:26 PM

8,605 posts, read 5,385,583 times
Hard to advise because we don't know you or your budget/interest in renovations, we don't know the area well and how well priced it is for the actual comps, and we haven't been in the house or heard the inspector's observations directly.

All those are needed to really offer good advice. Hopefully your agent and the inspector are also offering you good advice on which of these issues are really important.

Are you financing with a loan? I will assume you are. Some of these will be issues that may get flagged on appraisal and MUST be fixed for your loan.... any loan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awuth View Post

Electric: "No GFCI protection present in home attached garage OR detached garage. Some exterior lights were out. Damaged front patio outlet. Loose wire on attic light. Three breakers are double tapped in panel. Open knockouts present in panel. Recommend installing blanks in panel cover to prevent access to hot wiring. Door bell transformer noted in panel which can cause excessive heat build up. Recommend removing transformer and installing on the outside of the service panel by a qualified electrical contractor. Open junction boxes present in home. Some lights and smoke detectors are hanging by wiring. Open splices present in home. No CO detectors. Open grounded outlets in home."
GFCI outlets on circuits in bathrooms, kitchen and outside, and the CO detectors, at least in this area, will need to be installed for financing. smoke detectors and open splices and anything hanging by wires will also get flagged if they are seen.

The other electrical work on the panel, may or may not get flagged, depends how knowledgeable and particular your appraiser is... but can probably be fixed fairly cheaply by any electrician who is hired to do the above work. If your seller doesn't agree and you still buy this house, you should do this work for safety! It is a few hours of work by an electrician and probably under $50 in parts. Hopefully that's it, but you need a skilled electrician in there to fix what sounds like some homeowner "Bubba-does" type work.

Quote:
Pest: Shelter tubes (termites) found on wall and sillplate in basement under garage walk-in door. No evidence of past termite treatment. Boreholes from carpeter bees on deck.
Need to know how much damage has been done and get a quote for termite remediation and repair of damage. Can't assess this one until you know that. Did inspector say?

Quote:
The roof is listed to be 2-11 years old. Inspector listed a defective roof truss repair but noted it was dry. It also said "Vent stack in attic on east attic shows signs of previous seepage." and listed as defective.
Need to find out from inspector... fixing flashings is an inexpensive repair by a roofer or carpenter. Find out if that is the extent of it or if there's more to it.

Quote:
The entire deck is completely defective. The wood is rotted through from water and carpeter bees. So is the lower patio where the wood is. The deck isn't bolted to house and the railings are loose. This is a 30k issue-- but we knew that when we saw it.
You say you already knew this? Has it already been figured into your offer price?

Quote:
Mold The house is on a slant so the street drains into the lake and apparently that may be what has caused moisture in the basement. "Recommend Mold Mitigation Contractor to address fungal growth in lower water heater room."
Do this.... can't assess the seriousness of this without seeing and talking to the inspector.

Quote:
Some serious issues here - was this place marketed as a fixer? Sounds like at there very least, new faucets/fixtures and get rid of the garbage disposal. They aren't a good idea on septic systems.

Quote:
HVAC They have central air conditioning but have baseboard heating. The air conditioning unit is 31 years old, and so are the heat exchangers for the baseboard heating. "Incorrect shut-off handle present over water heater. I could not get main middle level to get any heat to baseboards, recommend further evaluation by a licensed HVAC contractor."
Faulty heating and old AC - will need repairs.... thats a few to several thousand dollars.

Quote:
There are other things- some broken siding, broken exterior lights, and outlets, and a door that has to be replaced but the big issues are above. We have only gotten back to them on the termites and requested they treat for them. I wanted a termite bond and our realtor made me feel like I was ridiculous for asking. There are so many safety/liveability issues above that I want to ask the seller what they are willing to do before the closing (3 weeks!) and then we can say Yes or No and walk away. Is this a dumb plan? I'm overwhelmed.
If this house isn't priced as a fixer, and if you guys aren't planning on taking on major repairs and remodeling... then walk away or gear up and negotiate it down to cover the surprises that were NOT figured into the original price. This is a fixer house. Repairs - serious ones - are needed from top to bottom.... you're going to put $50,000 in this house before you're done. You will have to pay for those repairs out of pocket, negotiating the price down won't give you the money to actually pay for it. Some of it is fun projects.... a new deck will be expensive but fun. Much will be invisible work that will not feel so fun though, like electrical, plumbing and HVAC, needed to make the place livable.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:35 PM

12,957 posts, read 6,492,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awuth View Post
It looks beautiful inside and many things like the master bath have been updated.
Don't quite see why it was so "beautiful"...some of the items mentioned would have been visible while touring the house. Wouldn't touch it myself. Problems weren't limited to one system...seem to exist across the board and suggest poor upkeep for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate