Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 05:02 AM

801 posts, read 614,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
This assumes that you never have to relocate while you have no equity in the house. These days, a lot of middle class jobs are hard to build a career in if you are not willing and able to move to where the next opportunity is.
Every choice is made hoping x, y, and z remain stable. Sometimes, it works out and sometimes, it doesn't. People make the best decisions they can, with what they know at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 11:14 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,381,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Stop spouting myths and stupid stereotypes. The problem is the inherent structural features of the US economy. Most of the jobs and the best jobs are increasingly being concentrated in HCOL/ultra dense areas of the country. Millennials aren't in charge of the companies that keep moving to the same locales.
Millennials might need to reset their expectations on what constitutes a good job. There is a severe shortage in this country of skilled trade jobs such as welders, electricians, or ironworkers. A lot of these shortages are in low COL areas of the country such as the Midwest. There are companies that are so desperate to attract skilled labor that they are paying for the trade school education of new employees; then they graduate and are making $70K in areas where you can easily afford to buy a house with that kind of salary. My young Millennial cousin went on a path similar to that; he's only 25, decided to do trade school instead of college, and is already buying his first house.

These may not be Instagram-worthy jobs, but they are starting off on the right foot financially.

I would also ask why are these companies concentrating jobs in major urban metros? Because that is where millennials want to move, and have been increasingly moving for the last 10 years. I work in a midsize metro in the Midwest and we constantly lose younger millennial employees to larger Sunbelt or coastal metros after only a year or two because it's a more exciting locale (meanwhile, the Gen Xers and older millennials move back to start their families). It's all about priorities; one can choose the glamorous life in the HCOL area while struggling financially in their early years, or choose the more subdued life in plain jane middle America and have an easier time achieving the "American Dream". It's pretty hard to do both at the same time unless you are extremely brilliant and talented.

Last edited by mustang84; 06-16-2019 at 11:25 PM..

Old 06-17-2019, 12:52 PM

189 posts, read 261,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Indeed. When my parents bought their first house in the early 1980s......their 13% interest rate was considered a "really good deal".... now people freak out if rates creep above 5%.
Haha this was me... I almost walked away from our home last October because the interest rates reached their peak while we were mortgage shopping. Luckily I calmed down and figured I could refinance later on if rates dropped, and sure enough they did. Last week I locked in for 3.5% so were very happy

Old 06-17-2019, 02:42 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Terrible example. UPenn is one of the most selective colleges in the world. It will absolutely make a difference going there vs Penn State. That's not to say you don't make a very good point. But, UPenn is one of the schools that is worth it.
substitute Gettysburg for UPenn then

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 07-01-2019 at 02:29 AM..

Old 06-24-2019, 11:21 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Sounds good until a major repair bill rears its ugly head then suddenly those monthly numbers are out of alignment and the loanowner is behind the eight ball.

Exactly.

When you hear any prospective homeowner simply compare current rent with a future mortgage payment, forget unexpected repairs--it's clear they're not considering even routine expenses and maintenance.

Homeowner's Insurance, property/school taxes, lawn care and landscaping, utilities which had been included in their rent--and those repairs--add considerably to the cost of home ownership.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:24 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,271,144 times
I know this is going to "rock some boats", but I was thinking the article was going to cover mostly single millennials. Most of the article(12 or so people) were married. That doesn't count as much. Dual income is powerful, isn't it? LOL. Every time it started with "WE purchased....." I skipped it LOL.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:28 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,271,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Millennials might need to reset their expectations on what constitutes a good job. There is a severe shortage in this country of skilled trade jobs such as welders, electricians, or ironworkers. A lot of these shortages are in low COL areas of the country such as the Midwest. There are companies that are so desperate to attract skilled labor that they are paying for the trade school education of new employees; then they graduate and are making $70K in areas where you can easily afford to buy a house with that kind of salary. My young Millennial cousin went on a path similar to that; he's only 25, decided to do trade school instead of college, and is already buying his first house.

These may not be Instagram-worthy jobs, but they are starting off on the right foot financially.

I would also ask why are these companies concentrating jobs in major urban metros? Because that is where millennials want to move, and have been increasingly moving for the last 10 years. I work in a midsize metro in the Midwest and we constantly lose younger millennial employees to larger Sunbelt or coastal metros after only a year or two because it's a more exciting locale (meanwhile, the Gen Xers and older millennials move back to start their families). It's all about priorities; one can choose the glamorous life in the HCOL area while struggling financially in their early years, or choose the more subdued life in plain jane middle America and have an easier time achieving the "American Dream". It's pretty hard to do both at the same time unless you are extremely brilliant and talented.
AGREED! I started my career as a pipe welder. Compared to some of my friends that were just graduating college with a degree in Marketing, I was making money hand-over-fist. Took that money and started investing it. Just because you start out your career doing something that makes your clothes dirty doesn't mean it is forever. It's ok to get dirty to make money, and put that money out there to make you more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate