Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
But won't that ultimately affect me because my premium will go up.
Perhaps...but where do you think the HOA gets their money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Chances are you and the HOA both have sewer back up coverage. I had this happen in 2017, single TH incident, no one to blame it on. My insurance covered the mitigation and replacement of all furniture and flooring. 20 power fans/dehumidifiers came in and ran 24/7. They even paid for the difference in my electric bill. All drywall and doors were cut 24 inches from ground level. They covered junk haulers, new drywall and painting.

This was probably my most horrible experience in home ownership - and I've had a 60+ foot tree take our my roof, along with 2 chimneys, skylights, livingroom.

Bite the bullet, don't screw around, you need professional help.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:15 PM

724 posts, read 530,125 times
Quote:
But won't that ultimately affect me because my premium will go up.
Nope.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 PM

58 posts, read 141,140 times
Alright, thanks for the help guys. I will call my Home Insurance tomorrow.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:04 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Your premium doesn’t go up because of damages to your house.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:46 PM

58 posts, read 141,140 times
Quote:
Alright, thanks for the help guys. I will call my Home Insurance tomorrow.
Actually, maybe not. My deductible for getting their service is $500. I can replace that small section of carpet for probably the same price.

So, the only two options I see are:
1. Pay around that much replace the carpet in that small section, take HOA to small claims and see if I can win.

2. Take the loss on this one. Replace my carpet, and pay out of pocket.

Anyone have any other suggestions? If not, I'm going with #1.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:07 AM

106,667 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Bingo.

Most HOA rules are clear that they are not responsible for damage within your unit.

The roof leaks, they will fix it, but any water damage is between you and your insurance company.

The sewer backs up, they'll clean the sewer, but any damage is between you and your insurance company.

If the insurance company has reason to believe the HOA was negligent, they may go after them.

I've never heard of HOAs regularly cleaning out sewers, by the way.
it is pretty much the same rules you have in co-ops ... the building fixes the structural issues but you are responsible for your own unit's damages on personal effects like carpeting or electronics damaged .

Old 06-11-2019, 05:16 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You do realize that YOU are your HOA? It's not a rental management company, it's you and all of your fellow owners. Do you think that your neighbors should pay to clean and repair your condo? Because that's where the money ultimately comes from. Are you ok paying your share for anyone else's unit that may have also been affected?
Sorry, but that argument is baloney. Why should one random individual have to bear the burden of a building fault? It was not related to anything the condo owner could control.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:19 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Actually, maybe not. My deductible for getting their service is $500. I can replace that small section of carpet for probably the same price.

So, the only two options I see are:
1. Pay around that much replace the carpet in that small section, take HOA to small claims and see if I can win.

2. Take the loss on this one. Replace my carpet, and pay out of pocket.

Anyone have any other suggestions? If not, I'm going with #1.
File the insurance and let professionals take care of it. It happened in one of the homes we rented and the restoration company removed all the carpet, the bathroom flooring, the baseboards, disinfected everything and had the fans running 24/7 until everything was clean, dry and safe.

This is sewage, don't do it yourself.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:14 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Sorry, but that argument is baloney. Why should one random individual have to bear the burden of a building fault? It was not related to anything the condo owner could control.
When you buy into a condo, you get the documents that spell out what is the responsibility of the individual owner and what is the responsibility of the HOA. It's baloney to pretend that there isn't already a contract in place spelling this out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate