Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 11:42 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
You all can keep your depressing suburbs, I'm not spending my money there! Raising a child in the city is vastly superior to raising a child in the suburbs.
Do you have any sort of data on the future successes of children raised from the suburbs compared to the city to back that theory up?

It obviously depends on the city, but where I live (and I know many major cities are the same way)... public schools are simply not a reasonable choice "in the city". That makes city life much more cumbersome from the jump for tens of millions of American families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 12:07 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,129,737 times
Meanwhile have lived in our 1300 sq ft house raising two kids, 3 dogs and 2 cats for the last 25 years. I understand the need for something larger or how that adds happiness.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:24 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Meanwhile have lived in our 1300 sq ft house raising two kids, 3 dogs and 2 cats for the last 25 years. I understand the need for something larger or how that adds happiness.
The layout can make a big difference. I went from I think 1200 to 1700 and I could swear the 1700 house feels smaller due to the layout not optimizing space and creating a few awkward routes from room to room and floor to floor.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:51 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
I would be happier if I got a free one and I would sell it.

It will only make you happier if you are already a happy person. If you are miserable a nice house won't make you happy, it will mask your misery for a while.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:00 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
If you raise a family in an area with a lot of rain, it can be nice to have the space inside to utilize. I'm glad to finally live in a place where a nicer usable yard matters more than the size of the house.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:54 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
McMansions are a poor replica of the older multigenerational / extended family house, where a larger group of related people lived together, under one roof, which may also have included live-in staff (essential before the age of appliances). The idea was to be flexible with the dynamic size of an extended family.

When I was young, I knew of one such family manse, containing one old grandmother, 1 uncle, 2 aunts, husband, wife, seven children. Never a dull moment!

What architects / builders should offer is a flexible system that adjusts as family size changes. For example, have a basic house, with extension wings that can become efficiency apartments / offices for rent. That way, the owner(s) don't have to sell off their homes as conditions change. In fact, set up at least one apartment for hospice care, universal access, elderly friendly and you can remain at home as your time runs out.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:57 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
I don't agree with any of these perspectives. I'll answer to a few of these points:

1.) Let's assume that I get married to my current girlfriend. She hates the suburbs just as much as I do, and she doesn't want to subject herself to suburban hell either. If we stay together long enough to consider marriage, then I'm confident that both of us would be looking to purchase a home in Philadelphia. Also, I've learned that she likes smaller homes, as she grew up in one.

If we were ever to end things, then I wouldn't date someone who doesn't want to live in the city long-term.

2.) I don't get the "space" argument. Do you realize that a rowhome, especially those recently constructed, can have just as much space as a bland McMansion out in the suburbs? There are rowhomes in the 2000-3000+ sq. ft. range. I'm not sure how she feels about this, but I prefer parks and common green spaces to private yards. Even with that, what makes you think that rowhomes don't have backyards? They may not be on an acre, but who needs all of that?

If there was ever a need for a larger property, then there are plenty of those in Northeast and Northwest Philly. Since I hate auto-centric suburbs, I'd be looking at Northwest Philly. One can have a large home on a sizable lot, yet still have access to nature, burgeoning commercial districts, and Regional Rail trains to Center City.

3.) If we did have a car, we'd be a one-car family. I work in Center City, so I have no reason to own a car. My girlfriend would probably keep her car, however. I find driving to be highly annoying and useless in the city. My apartment is walking distance from the El (one of our subway lines), four of our six trolley lines, several bus routes, and a Regional Rail line. I leave my front door and arrive at the office in less than 10 minutes. Who wants to start a car, get on the highway, find parking, and arrive 45 minutes-1 hour later?!

4.) I had the opportunity to grow up in the city and suburbs, so I'm pretty knowledgeable when I say that I would never subject my kids to suburban torture. I am MUCH more street-smart and resourceful than your average suburban kid. Lots of suburban kids don't even know how to ride a bus, which is laughable! I played in the streets, took transit on my own, created my own adventures in my West Philly neighborhood, and found a ton of other kids to play with. I'm not concerned about schools, as there are plenty of quality schools in the city. The #1-ranked HS in PA is actually in Philly. In terms of safety, I'd be more worried about one of my kids getting hit by a car out in the suburbs than being harmed by someone in the city.

You all can keep your depressing suburbs, I'm not spending my money there! Raising a child in the city is vastly superior to raising a child in the suburbs.
You know quite well that there are Philadelphia suburbs with sidewalks where you can walk to shopping, services, restaurants, and bars. Those towns are also serviced by trains, trolleys, and buses. Having lived in the area, I'm not buying you soul sucking suburb mantra.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:37 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I want to feel good about where I live. That means different things to different people. I’m not home a lot on the weekends, especially during the summer months. I have outdoor hobbies. I hike, bike, and kayak/fish some.

I’m living in a new apartment now, but may start looking at townhomes or small houses again. I’m legally single, but want at least 2BR with a garage for the kayak, some Jeep accessories, and various stuff I’ve picked up over the years that I’m not keen to part with.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
McMansions are a poor replica of the older multigenerational / extended family house, where a larger group of related people lived together, under one roof, which may also have included live-in staff (essential before the age of appliances). The idea was to be flexible with the dynamic size of an extended family.

When I was young, I knew of one such family manse, containing one old grandmother, 1 uncle, 2 aunts, husband, wife, seven children. Never a dull moment!

What architects / builders should offer is a flexible system that adjusts as family size changes. For example, have a basic house, with extension wings that can become efficiency apartments / offices for rent. That way, the owner(s) don't have to sell off their homes as conditions change. In fact, set up at least one apartment for hospice care, universal access, elderly friendly and you can remain at home as your time runs out.
“older multigenerational / extended family house”?? That is the current trend here in new homes. The new tract developments are 3,000-5,000 sf with dual masters, and even cater to the immigrants from India by including a “spice room”. Many of those families bring in their parents from India for 6 months, then the other parents for the next 6 months, and use them for free childcare.

In our city Asians are now 37% and most from India.

www.americanclassichomes.com

Old 06-15-2019, 04:17 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
I don't agree with any of these perspectives. I'll answer to a few of these points:

1.) Let's assume that I get married to my current girlfriend. She hates the suburbs just as much as I do, and she doesn't want to subject herself to suburban hell either. If we stay together long enough to consider marriage, then I'm confident that both of us would be looking to purchase a home in Philadelphia. Also, I've learned that she likes smaller homes, as she grew up in one.

If we were ever to end things, then I wouldn't date someone who doesn't want to live in the city long-term.

2.) I don't get the "space" argument. Do you realize that a rowhome, especially those recently constructed, can have just as much space as a bland McMansion out in the suburbs? There are rowhomes in the 2000-3000+ sq. ft. range. I'm not sure how she feels about this, but I prefer parks and common green spaces to private yards. Even with that, what makes you think that rowhomes don't have backyards? They may not be on an acre, but who needs all of that?

If there was ever a need for a larger property, then there are plenty of those in Northeast and Northwest Philly. Since I hate auto-centric suburbs, I'd be looking at Northwest Philly. One can have a large home on a sizable lot, yet still have access to nature, burgeoning commercial districts, and Regional Rail trains to Center City.

3.) If we did have a car, we'd be a one-car family. I work in Center City, so I have no reason to own a car. My girlfriend would probably keep her car, however. I find driving to be highly annoying and useless in the city. My apartment is walking distance from the El (one of our subway lines), four of our six trolley lines, several bus routes, and a Regional Rail line. I leave my front door and arrive at the office in less than 10 minutes. Who wants to start a car, get on the highway, find parking, and arrive 45 minutes-1 hour later?!

4.) I had the opportunity to grow up in the city and suburbs, so I'm pretty knowledgeable when I say that I would never subject my kids to suburban torture. I am MUCH more street-smart and resourceful than your average suburban kid. Lots of suburban kids don't even know how to ride a bus, which is laughable! I played in the streets, took transit on my own, created my own adventures in my West Philly neighborhood, and found a ton of other kids to play with. I'm not concerned about schools, as there are plenty of quality schools in the city. The #1-ranked HS in PA is actually in Philly. In terms of safety, I'd be more worried about one of my kids getting hit by a car out in the suburbs than being harmed by someone in the city.

Aww, that post was cute, written by someone who lives in a fantasy land. Like a child who thinks that they can be handed trophies for just participating and not having a clue how real life is like.

Unless you are making bank or using mommy and daddy's inheritance, give it a few years when you're scrambling about affording daycare while you try to pay for your expensive mortgage in the city for a shoebox, while your kids are wasting their years away in poor school systems.

But I sure do like your optimism! Keep that dream alive, kid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate