Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 10:12 AM

15,692 posts, read 20,203,443 times

Advertisements

Mice in the attic is a typical, ongoing battle if you own an older home in the suburbs or country. I wouldn't expect to ever be done with that battle, so if it's something that freaks you out you will need to adjust quickly.

I fight it every fall when mine are looking for a warm place to hibernate. I do my best to seal up the house, but they love the attic. SO I set a few traps in the attic in the fall and inspect. Usually get 2-3 every winter.

Then there's the battle I fight over hornets nests in small gaps in the siding or overhangs. That's always been a fun battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 10:31 AM

41,780 posts, read 17,335,523 times
Or raccoons, squirrels, opossums, skunks seeking out a winter abode.

A dead mouse or two is nothing.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:47 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,723,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab2019 View Post
1. Any advice how did a dead mice disappear in 1-1.5 months.
2. Any advice, what should I do?
1. You're not going to like my answer.... I lived in Iowa. We had mice like crazy. I'd put down traps (The landlord demanded we do this and not poison bait as the mice go off and die everywhere) so I'd hear the traps go off 4-6 minutes after setting them (Yes, we had a LOT of mice) but I'd always find one or more traps off in one area. Then I finally just set the traps and waited. Sure enough 4 went off in 8 minutes and THEN, the biggest damn rat come out and took the bodies away....

There's my answer....Hope you don't freak out too much...

2. If the inspector found only 2-3, that's pretty few.... I'd put a couple of "Tin Cats" upstairs just to see what happens...

Old 06-18-2019, 01:33 PM

390 posts, read 391,887 times
I agree with the others. Nature could have taken its course, either by decomposition or through the food chain. There's also the possibility of the home's current owner having simply removed the dead mouse prior to anyone being called in to check because what point would leaving the dead mouse there serve? I know if it were my house and a dead mouse was found in the attic that I would be getting that thing out of there ASAP just because I wouldn't like sitting there knowing there was a mouse carcass wasting away above me. The pest control companies were probably just called in to make sure they saw no further signs of activity and put down traps or bait.

Also, the presence of a cat doesn't mean that any rodent problem would magically be hidden from anyone. Most house cats are well fed and have no desire to eat mice. Play with and possibly kill? Yes. Eat? Not so much.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:30 PM

9,346 posts, read 13,932,112 times
The presence of a cat keeps mice away. The cat doesn’t need to kill any.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:18 PM

8,539 posts, read 12,273,864 times
One mouse does not a mouse infestation make.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:22 PM

10,022 posts, read 17,928,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The presence of a cat keeps mice away. The cat doesn’t need to kill any.
Aaagggh. This is NOT TRUE!! NOT TRUE!! May I repeat, NOT TRUE!! (Believe me, I wish it WERE true!)

I really, really, really wish that people (sorry, luv4horses, don't mean to just pick on you) would stop saying that simply having a cat around will keep mice away. I have EIGHT, count 'em, EIGHT cats at my house, and I STILL sometimes get mice (which 2 of my kitties usually dispatch quickly, leaving the lovely corpse for Mom to dispose of the next morning -- hopefully she SEES it before she trips over it ).

And while I'm at it, NOT ALL CATS ARE GOOD MOUSERS. I hate it when people just advise "Get a cat!" as if that will solve all mousey problems forever. IT WON'T, unless you are very lucky. Some of my kitties are FANTASTIC hunters (like Chloe, my still-semi-feral 2-1/2-year-old "special" kitty), but some simply could not care less that there's a mouse a couple of feet away from them about to cause Mom to have a shrieking fit.

As for the OP, as you can tell, I am insane when it comes to mice, i.e. I am terrified of the little buggers and would happily live my life without seeing one more EVER -- but even I would not freak out over 1 mouse corpse found in an attic. Really.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:48 AM

23,790 posts, read 33,259,253 times
New member hasn't been back since starting the thread.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,429 times
Default I am here

No I am here - just been reading the responses and comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
New member hasn't been back since starting the thread.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:16 AM

3 posts, read 3,429 times
I want to post an update: So I called a senior inspector to check the house. This inspector told me that There has been historic mice activity as he saw mice grease marks in near furnace and repair signs in the basement insulation. Homeowner claims that they have no knowledge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate