Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,521 times

Advertisements

So our inspector found a dead mice in the attic with evidence of mice travel activity in the insulation. However there was no dropping any other mice were seen in the attic or inside the house. The home owner does have a cat. We wrote an addendum, to ask home owner to have the mice professionally removed and attic inspected and close any entry points.

We had about 2 months to close the home. However the home owner did not take any action for 1st month. Then they had a big name company (starts with T) come and inspect the house (but not attic). When we reminded them that the mice was in attic. They called a local pest control company to put poison baits in the attic by the leader. The Tech clearly stated that he did not walk around the attic. When we reminded the seller that this was NOT the addendum. They called a 3rd company (starts with O). This tech did go into the attic walked around. Did not find the dead mice or any evidence of mice taking beats.

When I asked what happened to the dead mice, which we had picture from the inspection report, my realtor got upset at me "This is the 3rd company basically saying we did not see mice". I am not sure if that is fully true as the first 2 companies did not check attic - per their own written report.

1. Any advice how did a dead mice disappear in 1-1.5 months.
2. Any advice, what should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 06:27 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Did YOU check the attic to see if the mouse was gone? If you didn't, how do you know anyone was lying?

ONE dead mouse? One mouse can still leave a mess behind but I wouldn't get all upset about one. Another mouse could have eaten what was left if there wasn't other available food. Ants or other small insects could too. Sounds like you don't have an active mouse infestation to worry about.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-17-2019 at 06:44 PM..

Old 06-17-2019, 06:31 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
They may well have been packed off and eaten by other mice, who then also died... Somewhere else.

I would accept it and go forward. Sounds like they've hit the attic mouse issue pretty hard and that will probably do it for now. A few decomposing mice aren't big enough to be smelled in the house, lots of houses have a few dead mice in the attic, crawlspace and walls. I'd say particularly in the country, but I think there are mice in the city as well. I would consider mouse control part of ongoing home maintenance... not something that will ever be permanently eliminated, only managed.

If you have a cat or other pets, I would avoid using poison going forward if you can. There are other ways to effectively do mouse control without risking other animals eating the poison or the mice killed by the poison.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:38 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab2019 View Post
When I asked what happened to the dead mice, which we had picture from the inspection report, my realtor got upset at me "This is the 3rd company basically saying we did not see mice". I am not sure if that is fully true as the first 2 companies did not check attic - per their own written report.

FWIW, unless there is a floor in the attic, it's not really safe to have a lot of people up there walking around, if they misstep, they'll come through the ceiling. They could have checked what they could see with a flashlight from the opening, and placed the bait right there. And that's probably plenty to solve the problem in that space.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:31 AM

201 posts, read 199,111 times
I wouldn't worry about this. Our house has tons of mice poops in the attic and top bathroom drop ceiling in basement. The mice were there years ago and now gone, never came back. Get 1-2 reports and conclude it then move on. If the mice issue came back, there is always a way to get rid.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:44 AM

801 posts, read 614,808 times
Geez - have you ever lived in a house before? Mice try getting in at the change of seasons. Put out traps and kill the seasonal pests. The inspector didn't even find live mice... just dead ones. And not even in any living areas. Who knows how long they'd been there...

Calm down and close. This is a non-issue. Everyone is annoyed, I'm sure... I'll bet they've never seen a buyer panic about a few dried up, dead mice before. I can hardly believe the seller has put up with this for so long and definitely has gone FAR AND WAY BEYOND accommodating your requests.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:59 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,343 times
Mice...or mouse..... confused... good luck...don't buy an old farm house btw.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:02 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Not a big deal. If this freaks you out you need an apartment or condo.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:13 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Not a big deal. If this freaks you out you need an apartment or condo.
^^^^
Yup.
So the OP can share the community cockroach population.

Seriously, I can't imagine getting hung up over mice. Easy to control. Very difficult to eradicate.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:36 AM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Control mice in your home ?

Cats in the house and corn snakes in the attic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate