Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2019, 09:16 AM

724 posts, read 529,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Dry old water stains are common and can be covered up with Kilz.

This is still wet. It's bleeding through the new mud job. And water coming through a crack does not mean that is the extent of the wet. It just means that's where it seeped through. It should be dried out before patching and closing up. The tape along that whole area may fail yet. I think the op had a right to be concerned. Not about the leak, they ~probably~ fixed that (but we have to assume that don't we?) ...but about the quality of the repair they were trying to do.

It shouldn't have been the end of the world, but no one handled this right. The OP continues to catch heat for this here, but the sellers, and the OP's agent didn't do what they should do, either.
Uh. No. Not at all. There are no water spots bleeding through any of the new tape. I don’t know how many drywall repairs you’ve seamed, but this is normal. Granted, I probably would have gone ahead and cut back further and started without any of that, but this would have been something really simple for the OP to request.

I don’t think there was as much fault on the sellers and agents, because the OP completely flipped their wig. Let’s start with the fact that they demanded entry prior to the final walk - I have no idea how people keep missing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 11:03 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Uh. No. Not at all. There are no water spots bleeding through any of the new tape. I don’t know how many drywall repairs you’ve seamed, but this is normal. Granted, I probably would have gone ahead and cut back further and started without any of that, but this would have been something really simple for the OP to request.

I don’t think there was as much fault on the sellers and agents, because the OP completely flipped their wig. Let’s start with the fact that they demanded entry prior to the final walk - I have no idea how people keep missing this.
Make the photos larger and you'll see what Diana is talking about. There's a whole line of tape that's still wet and if you click on the second photo and make it larger, you'll see the water marks bleeding over the new mud and the tape which makes me think the sellers rushed the repair.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Make the photos larger and you'll see what Diana is talking about. There's a whole line of tape that's still wet and if you click on the second photo and make it larger, you'll see the water marks bleeding over the new mud and the tape which makes me think the sellers rushed the repair.
No. That happens when you skim mud over stained texture. All of that said, a professional could have just hit it with a moisture meter in 30 seconds and got a real answer - the OP never even tried.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:05 PM

335 posts, read 619,897 times
Just got through reading this- yikes! Hopefully the OP will get some satisfaction from the mediation.

The whole thing seems shady to me. The seller's agent did not notify the buyer's agent right away when the leak was discovered.. he was told once the "repair" had been done. The fact that the two agents are from the same group, would lead me to believe that their loyalty lies with the seller, hence a lot of the excuses that he was given. Was there a disclosure of dual agency? Then again, I don't know what the disclosure rules are in Oklahoma, which is what was listed in his profile. In CA there are many, since it's such a sue-happy state.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:36 PM

13,716 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSkater View Post
Just got through reading this- yikes! Hopefully the OP will get some satisfaction from the mediation.

The whole thing seems shady to me. The seller's agent did not notify the buyer's agent right away when the leak was discovered.. he was told once the "repair" had been done. The fact that the two agents are from the same group, would lead me to believe that their loyalty lies with the seller, hence a lot of the excuses that he was given. Was there a disclosure of dual agency? Then again, I don't know what the disclosure rules are in Oklahoma, which is what was listed in his profile. In CA there are many, since it's such a sue-happy state.

I too find what happened suspect.

But only by sitting down for a consultation with a RE attorney will the OP know where he stands.

Maybe he's got a legitimate complaint or maybe no case at all. Speak with an attorney.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSkater View Post

I don’t know about that. Somewhere midway through this thread, the OP divulged that his agent was notified within 24 hours of the seller finding the link, and he knew about it shortly thereafter. He was not told the repair was done, he was told it was being repaired - while petty, that is an important distinction.

At the end of the day, all he needed was a deep breath and a moisture meter. He went with panic, and will learn an expensive lesson.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:47 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
I think the message here is actually pretty clear.

Be very careful trying to cancel a purchase contract after the contingency periods have passed.

The liability the buyer will encounter is certainly the earnest money and in some jurisdictions may be more than that.

Expert advice should be sought on any such decision.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:50 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I think the message here is actually pretty clear.

Be very careful trying to cancel a purchase contract after the contingency periods have passed.

The liability the buyer will encounter is certainly the earnest money and in some jurisdictions may be more than that.

Expert advice should be sought on any such decision.
OP was told to consult an attorney, so he went online and got a free consult.
Instead of hiring an attorney.

Etc. Etc. Etc..

Old 07-01-2019, 02:09 PM

201 posts, read 199,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
OP was told to consult an attorney, so he went online and got a free consult.
Instead of hiring an attorney.

Etc. Etc. Etc..
I believe he did eventually hire an attorney (unless I misread his latter posts).

Anyways, the photos don't look like it's a huge major horrible leak. I was "imaging" in my head based on his original post that the leak is damaging at least one room-size area.

Frankly, if he likes the house, this is no biggie. For sure other parties messed with him but let's get real here.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:13 PM

13,716 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qhoc View Post
I believe he did eventually hire an attorney (unless I misread his latter posts).

Anyways, the photos don't look like it's a huge major horrible leak. I was "imaging" in my head based on his original post that the leak is damaging at least one room-size area.

Frankly, if he likes the house, this is no biggie. For sure other parties messed with him but let's get real here.

The OP mentioned a mediation hearing and was told he could bring an attorney but the attorney couldn't speak on his behalf. When I asked who told him his lawyer couldn't speak up the OP never answered.

I recommended shelling out the $350-$450 for a consultation but i don't believe he's done this. Either he's got a case or he doesn't.

Now, I'm sympathetic to the OP situation but I am also starting to wonder if his version of what happened is accurate. What if anything is he leaving out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate