Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2019, 03:24 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qhoc View Post
I believe he did eventually hire an attorney (unless I misread his latter posts).

Anyways, the photos don't look like it's a huge major horrible leak. I was "imaging" in my head based on his original post that the leak is damaging at least one room-size area.

Frankly, if he likes the house, this is no biggie. For sure other parties messed with him but let's get real here.
Why would you think it damaged a whole room sized area? The leak looks exactly like he said it would look, right down to the wet line that goes to a vent. They've cut a hole in the sheetrock, and they didn't get the whole damaged area, and they sealed it up before anyone could look at it to see if the leak was fixed and the area dried out. That's what bothered him. That should not have happened!

FWIW, I'm not highly confident that this repair as it looks in the pictures is going to look good when textured and painted. I'm skeptical, I think it's going to be pretty obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 05:05 PM

724 posts, read 529,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Why would you think it damaged a whole room sized area? The leak looks exactly like he said it would look, right down to the wet line that goes to a vent. They've cut a hole in the sheetrock, and they didn't get the whole damaged area, and they sealed it up before anyone could look at it to see if the leak was fixed and the area dried out. That's what bothered him. That should not have happened!

FWIW, I'm not highly confident that this repair as it looks in the pictures is going to look good when textured and painted. I'm skeptical, I think it's going to be pretty obvious.
Based on the reaction and nuking the whole
Deal.

If there’s someone with any kind of skill doing the texture, you would be more caught up in the dirty vent and wouldn’t even notice the repair.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:09 PM

45 posts, read 39,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The OP mentioned a mediation hearing and was told he could bring an attorney but the attorney couldn't speak on his behalf. When I asked who told him his lawyer couldn't speak up the OP never answered.

I recommended shelling out the $350-$450 for a consultation but i don't believe he's done this. Either he's got a case or he doesn't.

Now, I'm sympathetic to the OP situation but I am also starting to wonder if his version of what happened is accurate. What if anything is he leaving out?
No, you got it wrong or i did not explain well. My attorney can give me advices but can not question the other party. Sorry for confusion.
I did not consider to do another inspection. I do not want to because we do not want to buy a house with history of leaking. Just our standard when we shop for house.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:17 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stxhomebuyer View Post
I did not consider to do another inspection. I do not want to because we do not want to buy a house with history of leaking. Just our standard when we shop for house.
No one is on your side more than I am on this thread, but this line of thinking is so wrong-headed, not only will it get you in trouble with the mediator and any hope of sounding sane and reasonable at this mediation hearing.... it won't help you find a good house in the future either.

Because houses develop leaks in their life. They just do. Pipes get hot and cold and expand and contract, they're under pressure, the joints and the pipes and seals may fail over time, and if a house doesn't have a history of leaks, then it most certainly does have a future of leaks. The answer is, you fix them when you get them.

Or give up running water. That's the choice.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:39 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
No, you got it wrong or i did not explain well. My attorney can give me advices but can not question the other party. Sorry for confusion.
My young friend. There are only two kinds of homes. Those that have had a leak and those that will.

Our present home was built in 1986. We have had 5 leaks so far. One very bad one...a roof mounted air conditioner leaked through a bad screw hole and took out 25 SF of roof. It did not get caught until the plywood in the roof actually rotted far enough to leak onto the sheet rock of the ceiling below. Had a $3,000 bill to fix the roof. The others all involved plumbing fixtures but one was a nuisance. Shower valve that leaked slowly and at the cartridge inside the wall. Never got moldy but we had moisture actually loosening the wall paper on the other side of the wall and a couple of shower tiles.

Another was a fixture on the fancy tub. Caught a first leak early had replaced the hook up hoses. Unfortunately the guy who fixed it did not do well. So a year later we suddenly had water in the carpet in our walk in closet...about 20 feet from the offending fixture. The water was running down the hose...under a set of cabinets and through a wall to appear in the closet.

Finally, just to tell you how bad it can get in 2002 we got flooded. Six inches of muddy water in about half the house. And the swimming pool with 8 or 10 inches of mud on the bottom. And we live in a house that cannot possibly be flooded. Half way down a hill in the desert. Unfortunately an unfortunate set of circumstances funned the entire upper hillside into a single stream down the street behind our house. And unfortunately we had a 1 foot gap between our gate and the rear slab. The rushing water dug it out and flooded the rear of the house about 6 inches deep.

$100,000 later everything was again fine. And the county came through and ran a 6 foot box channel down our street to the flood control channel.

And this is all in a home that was a very well built custom with an exceptionally well done plumbing system In fact the primary plumbing system has never had even a minor leak. The problems have been entirely in the internals of the fixtures at the end of the pipes.

So expect one every 5 or 10 years.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:40 PM

13,687 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:

You have no idea if the house has a history of piping or water damage. Another inspection could have gone a long way in helping to get back your deposit back as well the possibility of being reimbursed for other costs.

But since you're determined to go into mediation without seeking legal advise my feeling is "I did not consider to do another inspection. I do not want to because we do not want to buy a house with history of leaking. won't fly.

I doubt you will receive a full refund of your earnest money or other costs involved.

And since you refuse to say how much you put down I'll guess the amount doesn't make it cost-effective to consult with an attorney.

Good luck.

Last edited by john3232; 07-01-2019 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-02-2019, 04:29 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,107 times
1st , when do you go to mediation?

Good luck. I hope it all turns out well for you.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:27 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The OP isn't ready for homeownership. Leaks are a common homeownership problem, BUT they should have been notified by their agent about the change in condition.
leaks are common?? not any houses I purchased...…...

Old 07-05-2019, 01:37 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
leaks are common?? not any houses I purchased...…...

oh, c'mon now.

Seriously?

Old 07-05-2019, 01:40 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Best way to avoid leaks?

Just say, "No," to indoor plumbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate