Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 04:37 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Read your documents. Read the state laws on HOAs.

At the very least, having the same person authorize the work and then authorize the payment is a poor practice. Segregation of duties would be better guard against fraud and theft.

Also, just because he wants to re reimbursed does not mean he will be.

Many HOA documents state that expenditures must be authorized by a vote of the Board. There would need to be a motion approved by the Board and in the minutes.
I would think this is most common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 03:23 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I would think this is most common.
Though this is often the policy prescribed in the documents, following it is another matter.

If the board president/treasurer approves sending the check, the check is sent regardless of whether the expenditure has been approved by the board.

Happens all the time.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:26 PM

13 posts, read 7,487 times
We had a Hoa president who got himself in trouble by spending down the surplus and neither replacing it or increasing the monthly condo fees. It did not become known to the board or the condo owners until we found out at the condo meeting when he announced that he was resigning. We had a condo owner step up and take over the position we also voted in a new Vice president and treasurer. We were lucky we only had to do a one time assessment per unit of $335.00 and raise the monthly fees $20.00. We are optimistic that we can slowly get back and start rebuilding the reserve fund. The lesson I learned from this is to pay attention to the finances every month and not ever let this happen again. I believe we will be raising the monthly fees another $20.00 the beginning of 2020. Nobody complained about the assessment or raising the fees.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:13 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj9168 View Post
How do we get this under control?
Lay off the overuse of "we" and "they".

Old 06-27-2019, 08:24 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,909,939 times
rj9168, your state probably has a Condo Act and a Non Profit Corporation Act.

You can also contact a few offices to ask just who to contact such as at the state atty general office and legal aid.

You need whoever is above hoas in your state to get on them and give you aid and direction.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,186 times
There are four units in a row joined. The fence replaced was at the end of their property, and they are in the end unit. Each property has a fence that gives privacy from the other unit. To me, that is not the commons area. I found out that we belong to a condo regime that is other condos in the area. There are 25 members, and none of them have been notified of any repairs. We were led to the understanding that the four units made up the regime. We are finding out more and more every day.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:24 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
My HOAs do not allow a person to hold multiple positions on the board. The checks have to be signed by two people through the management company. Where is your management company? Start looking into legal action because it sounds fishy

Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,909,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj9168 View Post
There are four units in a row joined. The fence replaced was at the end of their property, and they are in the end unit. Each property has a fence that gives privacy from the other unit. To me, that is not the commons area. I found out that we belong to a condo regime that is other condos in the area. There are 25 members, and none of them have been notified of any repairs. We were led to the understanding that the four units made up the regime. We are finding out more and more every day.
Okay, so the "they" is the "regime" it appears. That would be not just the board of the hoa but the controllers of the board and there may be the go-alongs.

How did these people all move into this particular fenced area that fences them in....is that how it is, they have a fence around their homes?

Perhaps those units were the first ones built?

And those owners formed a group to keep an eye on what went on with the new builds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate