Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 06:31 PM

600 posts, read 753,882 times

Advertisements

Thanks, everyone, for all of the advice. It seems clear now that I definitely need to hire a property managment company and to raise the rent accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 06:45 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Hire a local property manager to handle the eviction process and to subsequently market your rental at the going rate. Your current renter is taking advantage of you...big time!

Old 06-25-2019, 08:18 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,061 times
You state that you are renting well below market price. If that's the case get with a property management company that'll charge somewhere between a $70-100 fee per month to manage the property. You'll likely break even, or even do better, versus what you're pulling in now.

The management company should handle all the hassles, that's what they're paid to do.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:14 AM

So here the update:

I hired a property management company, and the tenant has moved out. However, he did not pay the last month's rent and caused some damage to the property. Some LED lightbulbs, a light fixture, and the TV rack are missing (stolen).

The property manger took pictures and a video. He is currently working on getting an estimate for the damages.

What should I do now? Should I file a police report for the damages and missing (stolen) items?

Old 09-10-2019, 08:32 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
So here the update:
I hired a property management company, and the tenant has moved out.
Good. That's 90% of the goal. But getting any rent money or damages paid... will rarely happen.

Most small-time and self managing LL's will stop at this point.
The smarter ones will adjust their policies to avoid the same poor management errors being repeated.

Quote:
However, he did not pay the last month's rent and caused some damage to the property.
What should I do now? Should I file a police report for the damages and missing (stolen) items?
Any competent property manager should be able to lay out the options available in your County.

Do you want to ADD TO what you're out of pocket by paying an attorney to represent you in Court?
If so... it shouldn't be hard to get a Judgment against him...but that still won't get you the cash.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:44 AM

According to the property manager, the next steps include coming up with an estimate of the damages and referring it to an agency.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:59 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
I can't imagine the LED bulbs, light fixture, and TV Rack (do you mean a mount on the wall for a flat screen TV?) cost more than $300 to replace.

So you're down $1,200 in rent that could be worth pursuing. Someone has to undergo the effort on your behalf to try and collect, and effort = money.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:12 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
According to the property manager,
the next steps include coming up with an estimate of the damages and referring it to an agency.
That means a credit reporting agency? Is the PM a member?
Cutting to the chase... BFD. It still won't get you any cash.

The flip side of going further (incl to Court) is that opens you up to a LOT of risk
that a Judge might just see the whole long distance mismanagement soap opera in the tenants favor.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:27 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
So here the update:

I hired a property management company, and the tenant has moved out. However, he did not pay the last month's rent and caused some damage to the property. Some LED lightbulbs, a light fixture, and the TV rack are missing (stolen).

The property manger took pictures and a video. He is currently working on getting an estimate for the damages.

Before we all waste our time, did the tenant have a security deposit? Also, what did the PMC tell you about Florida's landlord and tenant regulations regarding rent payment as damages and the burden of proof regarding those missing items?

Old 09-10-2019, 03:09 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
According to the property manager, the next steps include coming up with an estimate of the damages and referring it to an agency.
Just use the security deposit to cover the lost rent and damages, eat the balance, and move on to the next tenant (or sell it while prices are up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate