Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 04:55 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,928,319 times

Advertisements

"How common is it...?"

where i was born, VERY common.

supremely LARGE land holdings with a standard small "ish" house
and no desire within the extended family (executor/executrix) to sell at any price.
eventually, those who value land ("they ain't making no more of it") pass away
and the BitCoin generation inherits that which they do not appreciate. so they sell.

bottom line: at least 4 generations in the same spotlessly maintained house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 08:51 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,659,962 times
As housing gets worse and more expensive it will become more common. I know a woman who is in her 50s who has lived with her mother most of her life she is disabled now with Multiple Sclerosis and they have a rent controlled property they live in. When the mother dies unless she's on the lease she will have to move, I know the rent is about 1/3 the normal rate but she won't be able to afford it just on SSDI. She may have to move in with her daughter. I know another woman in her 40s who had a small child and got divorced and had to move in with her parents, but then got back together with her ex.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:38 PM

37,059 posts, read 42,027,507 times
I don't know how common it is by in my own family a house in Oakland CA was occupied by 4 generations going back to the early 1900's. It was finally sold in 2008 or something.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:56 AM

41,777 posts, read 74,795,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I know a number of people who live in their deceased parents' house.
As do I. Three generations of my family have lived in my grandmother's home. Some people actually like their parents' or grandparents' homes. Imagine that ...

Old 07-01-2019, 09:03 AM

9,243 posts, read 14,802,954 times
It's more common here in New England. I know a person who inherited five houses because no one ever sold.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:08 AM

6,327 posts, read 5,422,236 times
So many factors counting "against" this now...

A lot more people move away from where they grew up; thus parents house is in another city or state altogether.

Our society generally now favors having elderly parents go to assisted living/retirement facilities in lieu of having grown children caring for parents directly.

Even if older homeowners don't move into assisted living facility; they will often sell larger family home (with a ton of equity) to buy/build a more modern and low-maintenance home in their golden years.

When and if adult children do become primary caregivers for elderly parents and live under the same roof....more often the elderly parent moves into their adult child's home (in-law suites are becoming increasingly popular)....not the other way around.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:01 PM

30,509 posts, read 17,972,459 times
My uncle and his family live in the family home in NYC; the home is owned by my father and his two brothers. And one of my cousin's and his family live in his deceased parents' home in NYC, too. The same goes for a neighbor on my parent's block. Given the seeming propensity to sell inherited real property, though, I must admit that this doesn't seem to be very common in my experience.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:06 PM

45,029 posts, read 60,050,709 times
1790-1999, one family.

https://www.explorejeffersonpa.com/m...larion-county/

There are houses/properties here in Maryland, especially Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore, which have been in the same family since the colony was founded in the 1600s.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:20 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,983,213 times
I know of a "farm" property that was passed down without anyone ever clearing title. Grandma and Grandpa died, uncle Joe stayed on. No one else cared. Uncle Joe passed on, cousin Tom took over. Now it would cost more than the property is worth to ever clear the title. Land is fairly useless, house is a mess. Even the town does not want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate