Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 07:30 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
She says she doesn't want to maintain a home. If she's renting, she is free to move at the end of her lease if she wants.

Ever been stuck trying to sell a home? It might be a hot market this year, but you never know when things will slow.
Yes I have been stuck with a property longer than I wanted to be. It's awful.

I would certainly recommend renting to someone who was moving a lot or had the expectation of a short turn around profit. You just never know what the market will do. But in her case she's very stable. Works for the state in a job that's unlikely to be cut (no guarantees I know.) I think that the maintenance thing has her completely freaked out.
But there's definitely options for a low maintenance, no yard work condo.

She does ask for advice when her property manager comes up with something crazy. Which is fairly often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 07:42 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I have a good friend who is a devoted renter. She complains a lot about renting, not being in control of her space, landlords and rent hikes. She is in a market where it actually is still more expensive to rent than buy and most people of modest means can afford to own a home. Yet she refuses to consider this.

I understand that renting makes perfect sense if one moved a lot or is in a very expensive market. But in her case she stays put and her market is still affordable. It's really starting to pick up however. She's at a point where it would probably make sense to buy and soon she could get priced out.

She refuses to consider this. She claims that she can't do anything to maintain a home. She doesn't understand condo ownership which would be a great fit for her. She's very thrifty and it would make financial sense for her to buy. She's not investing elsewhere.... just putting money in a savings account

Ultimately it's her life, her choice, but she would really benefit from buying in her area, particularly now.

I know this sounds like I'm a realtor looking for a commission (I'm not) but I just don't understand why she can't see how this could improve her financial outlook, even from a tax perspective. Can anyone explain why renting would be appealing in this situation? Is there something I'm not seeing?
She loves being miserable and complaining that is what you are not seeing, let it go she doesn't realize things are going to get worse until she can no longer afford to buy. You can't fix stupid.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:18 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,472 times
I have seen a lot of people in these discussions about renting vs buying who think they're "getting over" somehow by renting. One person even gloated because he said he doesn't have to pay property taxes and mortgage interest.

Ok.. congrats then lol. No, you might not be paying YOUR property taxes and insurance, but you're damn sure paying your landlord's.

So maybe its a case like that - where she doesn't fully understand how much it would benefit her?

Old 06-28-2019, 08:22 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
I have seen a lot of people in these discussions about renting vs buying who think they're "getting over" somehow by renting. One person even gloated because he said he doesn't have to pay property taxes and mortgage interest.

Ok.. congrats then lol. No, you might not be paying YOUR property taxes and insurance, but you're damn sure paying your landlord's.

So maybe its a case like that - where she doesn't fully understand how much it would benefit her?
not here you may not be with the new rental laws ny state put in to play june 1st . we are lucky if we break even now by having one rental holding a positive cash flow and one negative cash flow .

Old 06-28-2019, 10:34 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I can see your friend's point. She ought not complain about it though.

Should I outlive my ten-years older husband, it will be quite a decision for me. A paid off house with high utility bills, repairs, upkeep, or renting.

I would prefer a "lock and leave" type property. So, IDK....

Old 06-28-2019, 10:36 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
She has given you her reason. Just because fearing maintenance may seem silly to you, doesn't mean it isn't a viable reason. And even in a condo, she'd still have to worry about interior maintenance.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:58 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
does she have money to buy with ?

perhaps that money is generating far more in income and appreciation then plunking that money in to a house would save her ...

we would have to spend 300-400k for a co-op apartment here to get the equal to our rental .. it would save us 6k a year by buying ...but once you look at cash flow that money we would spend would stop producing as a minimum 15-18k a year .. we would see a big hit to cash flow and being retired cash flow is what counts .

so we don't know her whole picture , do we ?
Op said the person is not investing, just putting money into savings account.

Old 06-28-2019, 01:38 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Buying makes sense TO YOU. It clearly doesn't make sense to HER.

Owning a home isn't just economics, there are a lot of emotions wrapped up into it too. For some people, those emotions make them want to own their own little piece of the planet, for others, the idea of being tied down to something like that is anathema. Your friend's reasons are her own, but she has them, even if she hasn't chosen to articulate them to you.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:48 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I have a good friend who is a devoted renter. She complains a lot about renting, not being in control of her space, landlords and rent hikes. She is in a market where it actually is still more expensive to rent than buy and most people of modest means can afford to own a home. Yet she refuses to consider this.

I understand that renting makes perfect sense if one moved a lot or is in a very expensive market. But in her case she stays put and her market is still affordable. It's really starting to pick up however. She's at a point where it would probably make sense to buy and soon she could get priced out.

She refuses to consider this. She claims that she can't do anything to maintain a home. She doesn't understand condo ownership which would be a great fit for her. She's very thrifty and it would make financial sense for her to buy. She's not investing elsewhere.... just putting money in a savings account

Ultimately it's her life, her choice, but she would really benefit from buying in her area, particularly now.

I know this sounds like I'm a realtor looking for a commission (I'm not) but I just don't understand why she can't see how this could improve her financial outlook, even from a tax perspective. Can anyone explain why renting would be appealing in this situation? Is there something I'm not seeing?
maybe my profession keeps me from understanding the psyche of individuals, but it doesn't sound like that to me. It honestly sounds like you're attempting to tell someone else that what they're comfortable with is wrong. Most people don't react well to that. You might go to the investing forum though, and see if they have any good advice to get her out of savings accounts and into higher-yielding instruments.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:55 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I'm choosing to rent and house to be out of this area in 3 to 4 years. I can save enough for a good downpayment wherever i go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate