Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 10:39 AM

201 posts, read 199,049 times

Advertisements

I am not a professional real estate investor but very interested in one house in a neighborhood. I know the person living there through a friend. Recently I learnt through the tenant that he will move out and the house will be for sale (since his mother died). The money will then be distributed amongst the children. I like that area and if it is a good deal, I definitely can rent it out for stable income.

My question is: How do people usually go about doing this? The guy living there definitely doesn't know how to deal with it on his end either. I am thinking about this process in my head:

1. Call him and let him know my cash offer

2. Hire an attorney for both of us and work on the title transfer

3. Offer him to close in a week (since there is no loan) and help to move out (Uhaul rental, moving team)

I want to make it compelling so that it is a no brainer.

Do you have any advise? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 11:14 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,519,632 times
Call your bank and get a proof of funds letter. Make sure you know comps in area so you offer a fair price for both of you. Call him up and tell him you are interested in buying house. Meet with him and make offer. Use a real estate atty for paperwork. Get inspection.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Call your bank and get a proof of funds letter. Make sure you know comps in area so you offer a fair price for both of you. Call him up and tell him you are interested in buying house. Meet with him and make offer. Use a real estate atty for paperwork. Get inspection.
Thanks for the advise. I didn't think I need "proof of funds letter" since it'd be cash and verbal offer. I guess the attorney can guide me through the process then.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:13 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,914,229 times
> I didn't think I need "proof of funds letter" since it'd be cash and verbal offer.

OK, you talk to the guy, you make an offer, he says that sounds good, but asks how he can be sure you have the $.

NOW you need the letter.

Having said that- if the guy gets an offer before it's even on the market, he might say to himself, hey, this is a hot market, maybe I can get even more if I put it on the market.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:38 PM

634 posts, read 1,164,599 times
Who is executing the will? That person will decide how the property is disposed.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:49 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
If you are making a cash-verbal offer, Go ahead and meet with him and take a standard purchase-offer form with you ... and a check, for when/if you agree on a price and earnest money deposit. Both of your signatures on the purchase agreement whould be sufficient to carry the process forward.

Before making your offer, find out what they have in mind and are hoping to get. This will give you an idea of how much room you have to negotiate ... even if it's just the realtor fee savings for a direct sale.

The title company and/or your attorney will manage the paperwork, so that's not really that big an issue. You should also arrange an inspection and include a discussion/contingency regarding major 'hidden defects.'

Old 07-01-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Who is executing the will? That person will decide how the property is disposed.
Yeah this is an important question. According to him last time I spoke, it is his brother who doesn't live there. So I guess I need to get bypass him and talk to his brother then. Since if he is not the right guy, I don't want to give him too much information and waste time (for both him and myself).

Old 07-01-2019, 03:35 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,426,122 times
Check the town records for the mailing address for the estate and contact them.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:36 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
I am currently doing this. We have a client with a house that was being readied for sale but was not yet on the market and someone walked in who was looking at the house next-door (which was coincidentally, also our listing). The buyer had an agent and they sent us an offer. We're running it very much like it would have run had it happened a month later. All the same issues are there, for buyer and seller, as any other purchase.

Is it here in WA? If you make an offer on the house, would you want all the standard contingencies that would ordinarily be involved in a purchase? Inspection, title, well and septic (if there is one).

Or do you want to buy it as is where is? It makes a difference in whether you need someone to help walk you through it or can do this on your own with FSBO forms. Or whether you'll be relying on us here to walk you through it with new questions every day . I don't recommend doing that!

It is customary with cash offers, to provide proof that you actually have the funds. That's what a proof of funds letter does... it can take many forms, depending on where the money is, from a copy of a statement, to a letter from a banker or investment broker.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Is it here in WA? If you make an offer on the house, would you want all the standard contingencies that would ordinarily be involved in a purchase? Inspection, title, well and septic (if there is one).

Or do you want to buy it as is where is? It makes a difference in whether you need someone to help walk you through it or can do this on your own with FSBO forms. Or whether you'll be relying on us here to walk you through it with new questions every day . I don't recommend doing that!

It is customary with cash offers, to provide proof that you actually have the funds. That's what a proof of funds letter does... it can take many forms, depending on where the money is, from a copy of a statement, to a letter from a banker or investment broker.
Yes, it is WA King County.

I have been in the house before and it was in bad shape. Now it must be in very bad shape, not to the point of roof leaking or collapsing but it won't be move in ready for any new tenants. It will require some remodel at least just to rent out.

So I will plan to get some inspector to come in one morning to get a laundry list and whatever it is, I won't make contingency. My cash offer is low as I suspect it is in bad shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate