Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,327,515 times

Advertisements

^^^ See Above ^^^

Also, don't let them take over the homeowners insurance until they own the property. If they forget to pay and your house burns down you will be SOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 09:55 AM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
Rent to own isn't the same thing as carrying the contract. Why not just carry the contract and act like the bank?

Old 07-11-2019, 11:50 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,718,917 times
This idea is just fraught with peril. I am also curious as to why these people can't just take out a mortgage and buy it from you.

I can't recall the details but a while back I heard about some scheme where people would end up with houses for an incredibly cheap amount, but the first thing you had to do was find someone who was willing to sell you the property on a rent to own basis, and I thought, "Who on earth would agree to do that?"

Real estate transactions can be incredibly complex, and oddly enough, some of the easiest and most straightforward transactions do involve regular mortgages, because those are standardized and have lots of federal and state regulatory protections for both buyers and sellers. When people start doing their own real estate transactions -- well, those are the cases we read about in law textbooks.

At the very least you need not just any old real estate attorney but an attorney who has a very sophisticated understanding of real estate law in your area. So many things can go wrong -- not just immediately, but 5 or 10 or 15 years down the line.

I would highly suggest you just sell them the house and be done with it. You could sell it to them for a good (but fair) price, given that you wouldn't have to pay real estate commissions, possibly inspections -- sell them the house As Is, since they actually probably know the condition of the house better than you do. (And if they can't get a mortgage due to bad credit or something, well, that's a red flag that you probably don't want to be involved in a long term financial arrangement with them, either.)

Old 07-11-2019, 11:58 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,030 times
There is a high likelyhood you are going to repossess the house. Make sure your attorney explains how that works for you. I know someone who did this twice on the same house and finally sold it later. He made out very well.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:07 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,741,584 times
I could see them taking over the taxes, not paying, and then the house gets foreclosed for a tax lien. Just sell the house to them, or someone else. There are first time buyer, and other, programs through FannieMae, and USDA, and other sources for little (3%) to nothing down that they might qualify for. If the capital gains are huge, you could sell it and roll it over with a 1031 to a more local property to avoid taxes for the time being. If they can't qualify for a mortgage due to low income or bad credit, why would you want to be involved in a contract with them that they will probably bail out of? Think about one of them losing their job and being unable to make their payments....would you want to have to go through whatever mess an eviction might be when they're in the middle of purchasing it?? I can't even imagine.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:11 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
The recommendation to just sell it outright is a good one.

Unfortunately, the rent-to-own folks often don't have the down payment and/or the credit scores to qualify for a mortgage.

Which means the OP is likely to have problems.

Brother did this. The "buyers" got behind on the payments, complained there was a water issue, ... by the time he finally was able to evict them, they had removed everything from the house, even the water heater and the wood stove, and had cut down all the trees on the property.

In addition to costing a boatload to get the place fixed up and landscaped, he had to pay back taxes as well.

While it works out well for some folks, I would be inclined to leave the banking to the banks.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:58 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Also, don't let them take over the homeowners insurance until they own the property. If they forget to pay and your house burns down you will be SOL.
That was my thought too.

You definitely need a real estate attorney to draw up the documents.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,523,752 times
Why change when you have good renters?

Regardless, it would be a rare situation for me to agree to carry the paper--- I would only do it for one of my kids, but otherwise they can use a bank & get traditional financing. There is too much risk & liability involved for my comfort level.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:45 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,519,632 times
Normally you would get a fairly large sum down, and then a portion of the rent pmt goes towards the purchase price. Whatever you do, do NOT let them be responsible for paying taxes, ins, or any liens on property.
You need to tell them to obtain a loan. There are hard money lenders that will finance them if they have bad credit.
And whatever you decide, hire a real estate atty to go over documents.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:50 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
This is an instance where long spelled out legal contracts make for short litigation when problems arise..get an attorney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate