Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 03:49 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
How easy or hard is it to get rid of a dilapidated house in a dilapidated town? Talking about a house that's sagging in the middle (used to be a two-family but the dividing wall was removed sometime prior to 1972).

One thing it's got going for it is, it's bigger than most houses in the neighborhood.

Zillow puts the value at around $42k which I would take in a heartbeat (I'd take half that in a heartbeat).

I've seen those "I Buy Ugly Houses" ads but I never thought I'd be searching for their phone number!
Depends on market, but if there's investors in your area it will be sold for cash. Try posting it on momswap or facebook marketplace and you'll have folks looking to buy it, even if it's for "land value".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 04:19 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
It is amazing to someone in Texas, a state booming in population, that certain areas are depopulating like that.
Pennsylvania has literally thousands of small towns scattered throughout ((it's a well settled area, with more than 400 years of European settlement; it's also the 5th most populous state (soon to be 5th again with Illinois collapsing)) and many of them are losing population. Pittsburgh saw a revival, but that's limited to the city and the suburbs. I don't know what direction Philly will take, some parts are great, others are terrible.

But most of those small towns have run their course. Small family run farms and cottage industries are just no longer economically viable and the extraction economy (logging, mining, etc.) needs far fewer people than it did a century ago, even assuming there are good mines in the area and also assuming that you can pay off whoever you need to pay off to get the permits for mining and logging.

Most of the towns are still beautiful, but they'll continue to decay and houses themselves will sink back into the earth.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:41 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Pennsylvania has literally thousands of small towns scattered throughout ((it's a well settled area, with more than 400 years of European settlement; it's also the 5th most populous state (soon to be 5th again with Illinois collapsing)) and many of them are losing population. Pittsburgh saw a revival, but that's limited to the city and the suburbs. I don't know what direction Philly will take, some parts are great, others are terrible.

But most of those small towns have run their course. Small family run farms and cottage industries are just no longer economically viable and the extraction economy (logging, mining, etc.) needs far fewer people than it did a century ago, even assuming there are good mines in the area and also assuming that you can pay off whoever you need to pay off to get the permits for mining and logging.

Most of the towns are still beautiful, but they'll continue to decay and houses themselves will sink back into the earth.
This.

I inherited properties in WVA and Western PA that are much as you describe. Only one was worth renovating and we have recently turned it into an Airbnb as it's reasonably near some regional attractions. We don't live in either state and are hours away should anything happen so we have a management company to look after the place. I literally gave away one property to a relative who is just starting out and has a factory job in the area. The other just sits. There's coal rights to the land and it's a gorgeous lot but the house is a tear down. We pay the taxes. I tried to sell it a few years ago but had no interest. The neighbors can't afford it and they would be the most likely targets for a sale.

This part of the country is an economic black hole at the moment. It could experience a revival but in the meantime taxes are due. If you can get creative with using it it might be worth keeping. If not, best of luck. I feel your pain.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:23 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Sounds like free money. Can't go wrong with taking the money and run. Time is money and can't worry about how much you might get one day. Sooner or later owning it cost like home owners, code violations and basic up keeping even if landscaping or snow shoveling start to kick in legally and financially.

Sometimes being an easy 1/2 hour/hour drive a way from near an economic center/ good job area a house like that could be attractive to someone. Do near by roads have enough traffic that someday someone driving by might notice a for sale sign?

Even if you could get 30K I'm sure there are plenty of bills you could pay and there would numerous investments that could generate an 2-5K a year.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:40 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It sounds like you'd be looking for a cash buyer who will be looking for a fixer. They're out there, in most markets, if the price is right.
yep. We had an offer in one day after we listed our old familial home with a good realtor.

We were not looking to get rich, just to unload. So the price was right.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:23 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
It is amazing to someone in Texas, a state booming in population, that certain areas are depopulating like that.
There are homes like that in Texas. Hell Texas as a whole may be cheaper than Pennsylvania

Old 04-26-2020, 08:54 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
Is it already legally in you name? Can you refuse to accept the house from the estate?

You could always not pay the taxes and let the house be sold on the courthouse steps. Just walk away from it.

I cannot imagine what it may look like. Even the good houses in some of those places are unacceptable to me in lifestyle.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:41 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppaloopa View Post
I live in Florida and many are looking for a cheap or affordable home out of this heat which gets worse believe me every year. I believe in climate change and global warming If scientist are correct Florida will be underwater in 10 years. Were will they all move to especially the retired. Well I am looking to to this area I think it will be a gold mine.
Scientists are not projecting that Florida will be underwater in 10 years. Although the rate of sea level rise is increasing due to human contributions to greenhouse gases, it is still a longer-term process...for which we still should be taking actions today. Those who are dismissive of the scientific evidence about climate change are pretty much the same as those who were dismissive of the threats posed by global pandemics. They generally don't believe in science, nor in our responsibility to be concerned about future generations. They're the "flat-Earthers" of today--their "beliefs" don't change the facts.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:44 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The house is in Coal Twp, PA on the border and indistinguishable from the city of Shamokin. A downtrodden coal-belt Appalachian town that saw its heyday in the 1930's and has been depopulating ever since. Taxes around $600 a year.

PA is filled with these tiny little 1-horse towns. Values for a nice home doesn't rise much above 50-75K. A dilapidated one is probably land value only because it would cost more to fix it up than what you'd get back marketing it in the middle of nowhere. What are the property taxes? You may be in the same fix as those poor souls in the worse parts of Detroit where homes go for 5K-10K. Don't drain your savings on property taxes because these townships are in desperate need of cash and will bleed you dry. Good luck.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:52 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,021 times
Maybe you could sell it to a hunter, fisherman, outdoors man.. If it has a stream running through sell it as "trout access", if it's big enough sell it as hunting land. Or just sell it as a place to hookup a camper or something... There would have to be some type of value, though I wouldn't put any money into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate