Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 06:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times

Advertisements

Actually one of the practical matters for pumping it is to find out where it is. The pump out guys are also very good at finding the tank(s). And we have been involved in a few deals where the tank location was unknown including one where the field was no where near where the Health Department records says it was.

The pumpers have some sort of a transmitter that they flush to find the tank. The troubled one had a fissure that kind of made a secondary tank so they dug a big hole to find out it was the wrong place.

My tank is ideal. Under a concrete slab with a sewer manhole on top, But that is not the normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 06:51 PM

480 posts, read 480,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
My tank is ideal. Under a concrete slab with a sewer manhole on top, But that is not the normal.
That has been code for new installations and alterations of existing systems here since 2004 or 2005. I never quite understood the logic behind burying the access port to something that has to be serviced (pumped) every two years. Our tank is a dual chamber (1000 gallon primary and 300 gallon secondary) so there are two manholes but they are flush with the ground and unobtrusive-I run right over them with the lawn tractor.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:05 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Two years is really frequent. Out here they recommend pumping every five years ...with heavy use from a family.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Two years is really frequent. Out here they recommend pumping every five years ...with heavy use from a family.
The average cost of a new septic system in NJ is about $40,000-$50,000. This is because basically every new system utilizes an engineered mound rather than native soil for disposal. Between the select fill, stone, excavation and trucking costs, and the pump and associated electrical work needed to pump up to the mound, it all adds up to a very expensive endeavor. We lucked out on our new system (installed by the seller) as we needed a mound to the tune of 1200 tons (about 50 triaxles worth) of select fill, but we had enough grade on our gently sloping property that the mound was able to be located downhill of the tank so it flows like a conventional system. No pumps to fail or need generator power during outages

In any event-for me a pumpout costs $250 every two years which, considering the cost of a new system, is pretty cheap insurance. Furthermore a couple of towns over they have a sewer system-the bill for a single family home (flat rate, not based on water usage) is $600 PER YEAR. Our system has an effluent filter as well which I try to clean quarterly. I was 36 when we bought this, our "forever house." I don't want to have to replace the system during my lifetime. I should also add that we have three daughters-needless to say in the next few years I'll be piping in an additional indirect fire hot water tank...

Old 07-12-2019, 07:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
That has been code for new installations and alterations of existing systems here since 2004 or 2005. I never quite understood the logic behind burying the access port to something that has to be serviced (pumped) every two years. Our tank is a dual chamber (1000 gallon primary and 300 gallon secondary) so there are two manholes but they are flush with the ground and unobtrusive-I run right over them with the lawn tractor.
Actually mine are under the slab that provides RV parking and the basketball court.

And one of the problems here is that if you attempt to do any significant modification they pull the new code on you. So adding a new bathroom can require a $16,000 redo of the septic system. So no one admits to any new plumbing fixtures. You even find weird things...like big closets that have all the connections for a bathroom or a kitchen hidden in the walls or floor.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And one of the problems here is that if you attempt to do any significant modification they pull the new code on you. So adding a new bathroom can require a $16,000 redo of the septic system. So no one admits to any new plumbing fixtures. You even find weird things...like big closets that have all the connections for a bathroom or a kitchen hidden in the walls or floor.
That makes absolutely no sense. Septic system loads are driven by the number of people living in a house (bedrooms)-not bathrooms. Consider a two bedroom one bathroom house and a four bedroom one bathroom house. Each house has at least one person living in it per bedroom or at least two people in the two bedroom and at least four people in the four bedroom. Which house will see more water usage and therefore need a larger system? The four bedroom of course. Four people will use double the water for cooking, cleaning, bathing, flushing, laundry, etc...despite the fact that there is still only one bathroom. You must have that wrong. With regard to new plumbing fixtures, everything is low-flow now so new fixtures use LESS water, not more.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:23 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Your lender will require the septic to be pumped and inspected before they will release any funds.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:21 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
That makes absolutely no sense. Septic system loads are driven by the number of people living in a house (bedrooms)-not bathrooms. Consider a two bedroom one bathroom house and a four bedroom one bathroom house. Each house has at least one person living in it per bedroom or at least two people in the two bedroom and at least four people in the four bedroom. Which house will see more water usage and therefore need a larger system? The four bedroom of course. Four people will use double the water for cooking, cleaning, bathing, flushing, laundry, etc...despite the fact that there is still only one bathroom. You must have that wrong. With regard to new plumbing fixtures, everything is low-flow now so new fixtures use LESS water, not more.
The house that doesn't drain their washing machine into it will be the one that works better. They don't even start emptying until they are full... a lot of the pumping is a scam bandaid solution to much bigger problems, almost as stupid as the home warranties. Some places are much better than others for septic.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:43 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The sellers may regularly pump the septic every x years. Maybe they just pumped it a few months ago. You can pump it after you move in if you are freaked out about someone else’s waste
This. I sold a house on septic a little over a year ago.

When we bought it we paid for our own inspection + pumping. But we also got it for a good price and got other credits.

When we sold, we had it pumped at the buyer’s request (don’t believe they did any other inspection on it which I would if I were the OP - I don’t think we would have paid for an inspection). We considered saying no, but it was a strong offer and we never pumped it in the 6 years we lived there, so I didn’t think it was worth arguing over I think the $200-$300 or so that it cost to pump it (they also specifically asked when the last time we pumped it - if it had been within the last year or so, I imagine they might not have even asked).

Old 07-13-2019, 05:04 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
But, unless you are pumping solids, you are wasting money. The inspection is only goingto look for cracks, etc., and not even identify a flawed system. You can put a brand new tank in, but if the soil is bad, and you put 300 gallons of water per day in it.. You are screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate