Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 02:20 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,300,134 times

Advertisements

It would seem to me that this is an important part of deciding the affordability of one place over another. Some condos can have HOA dues of $600-$800/month, and still not divulge them in their ads. I don't want to have to be calling multiple agents and getting them all excited, just to find out what the HOA fee is on a particular condo I've noticed online.

And yet, one has to know this in order to fully decide if this particular house or condo is one you want to pursue further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 02:22 PM

403 posts, read 273,011 times
The MLS locally posts that information in the listing, although they’re often incorrect. It must be market-dependent.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:24 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Where are you looking? Our MLS has the information and if you got listings from an agent here, it would include that information.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:25 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Why?
No one knows. Really.

At least you are aware of the issue and can call and inquire. MLS offers the information, if you can get onto a legitimate feed.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:27 PM

Yes, I know Washington seems to divulge everything. But not in several other states I've looked in. Maybe it's a regional thing. Often, too, the HOA will be noted in the ad if it's nice and low (as a selling point), but the ones that are several hundred per month are pretty hit and miss.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:29 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Yes, I know Washington seems to divulge everything. But not in several other states I've looked in. Maybe it's a regional thing. Often, too, the HOA will be noted in the ad if it's nice and low (as a selling point), but the ones that are several hundred per month are pretty hit and miss.

When I have clients or customers on an autoemail feed from MLS, the dues are clearly noted in the results.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:37 PM

357 posts, read 247,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
When I have clients or customers on an autoemail feed from MLS, the dues are clearly noted in the results.
This. ^^

The trick is not to call a bunch of listing agents to ask about individual listings, but to have a buyer’s agent (singular) doing this work for you. Our MLS sends automated listings based on search criteria to buyers who sign up (or rather, i sign them up, so you’d need to contact an agent to accomplish this) and it does include HOA fees. One caveat is that sometimes it just has a dollar amount but not a frequency. Here, we have monthly and quarterly depending on the community so it can still be confusing for the buyer. But once a buyer and I are connected, he can send me a quick text or email to clarify and I can double check that for him.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:43 PM

Thanks everyone. Since we are researching several widely different areas, I would feel bad exercising an agent in each area so I guess it's premature at this point. But if the only way this and other pertinent information can be available is the method you've described above, it makes it a little tough to research different parts of the country to decide on, for instance, retirement places.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:47 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
It would seem to me that this is an important part of deciding the affordability of one place over another. Some condos can have HOA dues of $600-$800/month, and still not divulge them in their ads. I don't want to have to be calling multiple agents and getting them all excited, just to find out what the HOA fee is on a particular condo I've noticed online.

And yet, one has to know this in order to fully decide if this particular house or condo is one you want to pursue further.
Are you looking on MLS or on Zillow? Zillow won't have that information.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:16 PM

357 posts, read 247,926 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Since we are researching several widely different areas, I would feel bad exercising an agent in each area so I guess it's premature at this point. But if the only way this and other pertinent information can be available is the method you've described above, it makes it a little tough to research different parts of the country to decide on, for instance, retirement places.
If the places are close together, one may be able to help you with all of it. If not, I would go for talking to one agent in each area and get set up with automated listings. Be clear about the situation. That way you’re not taking up a lot of their time. Just please let them know if you decide to rule out that market. We have relocated many times ourselves so I understand this predicament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate