Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 01:30 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times

Advertisements

It wasn’t an issue for us because technology (even basic) can solve these issues but if it’s a rental? Maybe not! I was already well aware of a company called Soundproof Windows because my biggest issue with houses versus condos (high rise / luxury) is terrible construction quality compared to steel / concrete / glass. When we bought our house, I wasn’t that worried about it being a few hundred feet off a similar 45 mph 4 lane busy road. We installed Soundproof Windows throughout the upstairs and it adds an interior very thick (makes a thud if you tap it with your knuckles) double pane window beneath the existing one. So I’m essence noise is deadened by having to hit the first window, then pass through an air space of about 3 inches, then hit a thicker second double-pane window. It took the traffic noise from obnoxious to inaudible. It’s incredible how well it works.

We’re installing at least another one in the new house but thankfully it’s not off a busy road this time, didn’t want to repeat that, so I’m hoping we can avoid needing more but it might depend if there are annoying screaming brats near our house. I have no idea how people sleep when there’s noise around them, like the TV thing makes no sense to me at all. I need it perfectly dark, quiet, and cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 10:02 AM

12 posts, read 13,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It wasn’t an issue for us because technology (even basic) can solve these issues but if it’s a rental? Maybe not! I was already well aware of a company called Soundproof Windows because my biggest issue with houses versus condos (high rise / luxury) is terrible construction quality compared to steel / concrete / glass. When we bought our house, I wasn’t that worried about it being a few hundred feet off a similar 45 mph 4 lane busy road. We installed Soundproof Windows throughout the upstairs and it adds an interior very thick (makes a thud if you tap it with your knuckles) double pane window beneath the existing one. So I’m essence noise is deadened by having to hit the first window, then pass through an air space of about 3 inches, then hit a thicker second double-pane window. It took the traffic noise from obnoxious to inaudible. It’s incredible how well it works.

We’re installing at least another one in the new house but thankfully it’s not off a busy road this time, didn’t want to repeat that, so I’m hoping we can avoid needing more but it might depend if there are annoying screaming brats near our house. I have no idea how people sleep when there’s noise around them, like the TV thing makes no sense to me at all. I need it perfectly dark, quiet, and cold.
I am looking for a similar solution to my problem. But I am concerned if only the soundproof windows would be enough. My house has vinyl siding and drywall. What's the exterior surface of your house made up of? Does it have concrete or brick siding by any chance ?

Old 01-14-2020, 10:17 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Windows and heavy curtains can make a huge difference. We have double pane windows which has been a blessing after a barking dog moved in behind us. However, the real issue is pollution from car exhaust. Many people living near busy streets and highways eventually develop breathing problems.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:22 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
What you hear will change based on the weather around you at the time. Something to keep in mind. What you hear in summer with a south wind will not be the same as when it is cold and a north wind. We learned that the hard way.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:34 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
Many people adjust to noise. No way we can tell whether you are one of them.

Noise from traffic is much less of a problem than noise from upstairs neighbors.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:01 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
blackout curtains. BBB

Old 01-14-2020, 04:24 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gz390 View Post
I'm somewhat noise sensitive and considering renting a house that is about 200 ft away from a 4 lane 45 mph road. There is a house and backyard fence in between though to help block noise. I have never lived that close to a high traffic road before so I'm wondering how much of a problem the noise will be when trying to sleep at night. Although I have lived about 600 ft from a interstate highway one time and heard some noise but didn't have trouble sleeping.
It shouldn't be a problem unless you keep your windows open at night, and still the traffic is much less at night.

It will only be an issue when you are outside if you have a backyard or front porch and it will be background noise and your brain will tune it out unless you are OCD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate