Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 06:33 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
westcoast - what are the 2 most expensive structural items when building a home?
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Probably concrete and framing and a twist of labor
Quote:
Concrete is mostly used for foundation no?

Framing is used for the roof no?
It wasn't exactly a trick question, but your answer exposed a lack of knowledge.

Bo asked what structural items were expensive, and you responded with a material, an item that could be considered structural or a technique, and an expense item.

Structural items are things like foundations, walls (could be considered framing, but that would be an odd term to use in this context), posts (depending on construction technique), roofing, etc.

I think you are trying to find out what markup on materials, labor, permitting, etc is acceptable for a builder. As others have noted, it will vary depending on many items, and how you calculate some things.

-If the builder has to carry a loan for the project, they will want more of a margin.
-If they have to do a lot of custom stuff that they have never done before, more margin
-If your contract assigns lots of risk to them, more margin
-If it is a hot construction market and they can make easy money elsewhere, more margin
-If they have to work withing your schedule rather than theirs, more margin
-If it is a difficult construction site, more margin.
-Are you calculating their office overhead into the cost of the project, or only labor and materials?
-Who is in the role of GC, you or them?
-If it is a small budget build, more margin. Large build, smaller margin, but more dollars because that small margin is on a large construction budget.

I have known various contractors looking to make anywhere from 8%-20% of contract price as profit. 8% would be low, 20% high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 01:29 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Not true, you could have a slab house in Alaska as long as you have foundation walls and a footing bottom depth below the frost line which varies according to local codes contingent upon weather statistics.
Exactly what I said, I just explained how it is done.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:51 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Quote:
I asked a few questions already

I guess the answer is “it depends”
No offense, but your questions suggest you ought not even think of trying to flip a home or do a spec build.

S.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:08 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Bouncing around the forums this morning, I found the following link (in an Auto Insurance thread, of all places), and remembered this post.

I followed it and it seems to be a fairly comprehensive calculator, perhaps the OP can use it to their advantage. I typed in a fairly basic, 1000 s.f. home with a basement, built in west central Wisconsin, and got $215 per s.f. cost, with an $18,000 builder's profit. I don't believe this included the lot. Anyhoo, try it for yourself.

https://costtobuild.net/calculator.html

Old 07-28-2019, 11:25 AM

599 posts, read 498,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Not true, you could have a slab house in Alaska as long as you have foundation walls and a footing bottom depth below the frost line which varies according to local codes contingent upon weather statistics.
Northern Europeans, and to a lesser extent, Canadians and a limited number of cold climate builders in the states, have been using shallow, frost protected foundations, for decades. In some climates getting down below the frost level really isn't practical, since it's so deep. In other areas, you are literally building on permafrost, so footers and traditional methods are useless. Bottom line is that it's pretty simple to do a slab, right on the ground in Florida, or Maine. the one in Maine will do just fine, as long as it has an adequate amount of drainage, and foam sheeting under and around the footprint.

I've built successful "floating slab" buildings in a climate where the design temp is -10F and the frost can go to five feet deep.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:26 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Not true in cold areas of the country. You first have to dig wide trenches usually 4 feet to get below frost line, put up a double wall to hold the poured concrete foundation reinforced with steel re-bar. One reason for basements in cold winter areas, as it does not cost that much more to put in the basement, and raises home value more than extra cost to install basement.

Just pouring a slab only works in warm areas of country.
I'm confused whether you're saying that pouring a slab foundation - no crawlspace/basement, walls, etc - is more expensive than a "crawlspace".

I'll certainly admit that my opinion & experience is based upon warmer weather locales. And I am aware that crawlspace foundations (and basements) require digging below a frostline.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:51 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Bouncing around the forums this morning, I found the following link (in an Auto Insurance thread, of all places), and remembered this post.

I followed it and it seems to be a fairly comprehensive calculator, perhaps the OP can use it to their advantage. I typed in a fairly basic, 1000 s.f. home with a basement, built in west central Wisconsin, and got $215 per s.f. cost, with an $18,000 builder's profit. I don't believe this included the lot. Anyhoo, try it for yourself.

https://costtobuild.net/calculator.html

Thanks, Curly! That will be a useful link! Not absolutely accurate but a great starting point. It also breaks down the number it came up with so that can be adjusted later to become more accurate.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:56 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Quote:
Yes it’s going to be a one story house 2500 sq ft with a lookout in the back so a slight slope. Nothing crazy just wood floors 3 car garage upgraded cabinets and master bath is nice. I just don’t see how the actual cost of the house septic and netting grass could be $370,000

$370K divided by 2,500 square feet = $148 per square foot.

That's actually a pretty good price to have a contractor build the house. Especially with a 3 car garage, wood floors, upgraded cabinets and a fancy bath.

The actual cost of materials will be much less than that $370K, BUT factor in the cost of labor to put it together and then there's not much left over for profit. It's a lot like when you have a mechanic work on your car or a plumber repair a leak, it's a $10 part and $100 to have it installed.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm confused whether you're saying that pouring a slab foundation - no crawlspace/basement, walls, etc - is more expensive than a "crawlspace".

I'll certainly admit that my opinion & experience is based upon warmer weather locales. And I am aware that crawlspace foundations (and basements) require digging below a frostline.
Just a slab would be cheaper to build a home in warm climates, BUT a slab, in cold weather areas, has to get footings around the perimeter, otherwise the slab will crack and break, which can destroy a home.

In our area of the country, to get a permit to build a just a slab home is impossible.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:44 PM

6,361 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Northern Europeans, and to a lesser extent, Canadians and a limited number of cold climate builders in the states, have been using shallow, frost protected foundations, for decades. In some climates getting down below the frost level really isn't practical, since it's so deep. In other areas, you are literally building on permafrost, so footers and traditional methods are useless. Bottom line is that it's pretty simple to do a slab, right on the ground in Florida, or Maine. the one in Maine will do just fine, as long as it has an adequate amount of drainage, and foam sheeting under and around the footprint.

I've built successful "floating slab" buildings in a climate where the design temp is -10F and the frost can go to five feet deep.
In Maine, as well as any other State in the US, a footing must be below the stipulated frost line in that particular area with foundation walls above grade in order to build a house on a slab. There are no permanent structures that are permitted to be built on a floating slab, other than perhaps a backyard shed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate