Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 09:57 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
because it was already dug and being filled with gravel when i got home it was ~8 hours into the project..which i did mention in my very first post which i guess was too long, because you didn't get to even the 3rd sentence
I understand it was mostly done then ... but it’s not less done now… when you want something done about it.

Quote:
no he has a fence in back so he can let his little dog out but it only goes about 10% into his back yard. In order to tie into his id have to be OVER the trench and onto his property. (line is basically straight down the left side of trench, or a few inches past depending where.
If you’re saying your property is to the right and you think the property line is right exactly on the left-hand side of that drain… Then put your fence in right exactly on the left-hand side of that drain. I don’t think a fence company is going to have any problem at all doing that. Really.

Just be sure that you are right, because unlike you he might be likely to make you remove it if you’re wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 10:27 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I understand it was mostly done then ... but it’s not less done now… when you want something done about it.

If you’re saying your property is to the right and you think the property line is right exactly on the left-hand side of that drain… Then put your fence in right exactly on the left-hand side of that drain. I don’t think a fence company is going to have any problem at all doing that. Really.

Just be sure that you are right, because unlike you he might be likely to make you remove it if you’re wrong.
The problem is the drain doesn't follow the line exactly its not straight as an arrow. can't tell in the picture but the middle portion goes in and the line is right throug the rocks (yes i ran a string down the line lol).

so i could do that for portions of it but about 30 feet of it would be on his property if i went the entire way down the drain line.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:29 AM

Run a line and task a fence company with building the fence and I am pretty sure they can find a way to do it.

Honestly, I would not spend a lot more money and angst fighting about this little strip of ground. Just build your fence in a place you can be happy with, and get on with life.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 08-08-2019 at 11:26 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 11:14 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
I would also recommend that your lawyer contact the contractor about their unauthorized work on your property and possible actions, if you know who they are.

Seriously, this is past the point of "working it out" between neighbors. If you compromise on any point, he will own you until one of you moves. We live in a bully culture.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:19 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
because it was already dug and being filled with gravel when i got home it was ~8 hours into the project..which i did mention in my very first post which i guess was too long, because you didn't get to even the 3rd sentence

no he has a fence in back so he can let his little dog out but it only goes about 10% into his back yard. In order to tie into his id have to be OVER the trench and onto his property. (line is basically straight down the left side of trench, or a few inches past depending where.
Where did all the dirt go that was dug up?

Old 08-08-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
I would also recommend that your lawyer contact the contractor about their unauthorized work on your property and possible actions, if you know who they are.

Seriously, this is past the point of "working it out" between neighbors. If you compromise on any point, he will own you until one of you moves. We live in a bully culture.
Since the OP's buddy works for them, he knows who they are.

They need to remove the rocks and replace it with dirt and sod.

So strange that they would do work without checking.

Or keep working once it was clear that they were on someone else's property.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:34 AM

I've looked at the photo and am at a loss as to why a drain would be put in that area. Looks like the whole area goes downhill. What purpose would a French drain running that way serve?

Old 08-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I've looked at the photo and am at a loss as to why a drain would be put in that area. Looks like the whole area goes downhill. What purpose would a French drain running that way serve?

If you look up near the houses, it's clear there's a hill and the property is higher to the right. The drain is running right at the base of the hill. It makes sense there, why he would have put the drain where he did. I think it becomes less apparent the further away from the house it runs.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:49 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Well i have a survey and its a very easy, straight, marked property line to follow so there is no (almost) positive, its entirely on my property. I tried talking but it went about as well as you would expect when talking to someone who would deliberately dig a trench through someone elses yard without permission.

The 'immaterial' things are the exact things that do matter. i KNOW im right legally (which seems to be your angle at the answer, which i appreciate just i didn't get my concern across i guess)... and can legally go pull it out right now, its if i should is the problem. The pool isn't an issue it will be 50 feet from the property line. The future fence is one issue. If he sells, this drain (entirely on my property) clogs and floods the neighbors basement im liable etc is an issue. Him taking inches every once in a while until its a mile is an issue..
Wait until you or he is about to move and then hit him with the paperwork!

Sometimes it's merely HOLDING all the power that is even more satisfying than exercising it.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:51 AM

151 posts, read 107,040 times
"adverse possession" laws should never have been allowed.

That is like telling an ILLEGAL, if you don't get caught in a few years, you can claim permanent residency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate