Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 11:44 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times

Advertisements

Best advice: Find the agent's contact info and call them. Or get a buyer's agent in the market you are interested in (but if you're not a "real buyer," skip this step till you are).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 12:11 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
It is VERY easy to find the exact agent representing a house and then their exact email. Why are you pressing a random "contact agent" button??

Just email them.
In many markets, listing agents are not allowed to represent both parties. Calling the listing agent directly, is an option, though.

Some surprisingly poor responses. I understand an agent not wanting to meet a looker at a vacant home, but this is ridiculous. I respond with an easily verifiable number and address. I am not a foreign buyer, but any agent excluding emails from abroad is unprofessional, at best. There are many background check services available to anyone. I also understand SPAM filtering, which is where I often find their robotic responses.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:22 PM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
A really good realtor will evaluate each and every contact they receive; however, it might be that your first questions to them do not make you sound very convincing. A really good realtor will also probably be pretty busy in the summer season, so your outreach may only get responses from someone who is a new or so-so realtor who is desperate for business. Is that who you want to handle your transaction?

The right realtor is your best asset when looking for a house. It's worthwhile giving up some of your "do it my way" opinions in order to get the best help down the line.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post

Some surprisingly poor responses.
This ^^ thought process has gotten you this far. Now you get to decide if you really want a different outcome than you've been getting and what it will take to achieve that.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:07 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
This ^^ thought process has gotten you this far. Now you get to decide if you really want a different outcome than you've been getting and what it will take to achieve that.
Telling me to call the agent, when they are not allowed to represent both parties? Can't do business with someone abroad? Asking the best time to call, when they were told twice, email is better? E-sign? What is that?

Old 08-17-2019, 01:12 PM

110 posts, read 77,178 times
Quote:
I am shopping for houses in several states and markets, and don't have a buyer's agent in most of them. I find a house I an interested in and click the contact agent button. It won't allow me to enter my phone number overseas, so I enter my aged parents number, where I am a legal resident. Parents are instructed to tell all callers to contact my email. In the box, I explain that I am an American living abroad, give my number, and explain that it is best to contact my email, I am a cash buyer, and it is 11-14 hours later here. I don't check the box for financing. So with Realtor, I get a flash response to my email telling me I will hear from an agent shortly. Usually, I then get a robotic response asking the best time to call me. I respond again..then get nothing. Zillow is just as bad, except I am able to select an agent, who appears to have actually made a sale. Same robotic email. Then nothing. Today, 72 hours later, I get a more personalized robotic letter, offering to set up a search (their sites seldom find me good properties), and they want to introduce me to a lender (told them cash), and a few have even suggested I give them referrals ( on a cold day in Hell). Then nothing. And it is not like homes are moving fast in these markets. So what on Earth is the matter with these people? How much time should they be given to personally email me? If they can't do it fine, but they need to communicate. It really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have bought ten homes, used agents, and done FSBO...some real good ones, but so many losers. I have offered proof of funds, scanned copies of ID, SS card, and passport...still nothing...I hope these agents aren't working for you.

I have used the contact agent button in Zillow to request additional information on listings I am interested in (though it has been a couple of years since the last one). I have NEVER heard back from any agent.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:47 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Wow OP - I predict you're going to have a very hard time.

If you can't figure out that calling the agent (after all of the suggestions) is the best way to avoid all of the frustration you seem to be experiencing, I don't know what to tell you.

I would not want to have you for a client!

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2019, 01:52 PM

357 posts, read 247,926 times
Quote:
Telling me to call the agent, when they are not allowed to represent both parties? Can't do business with someone abroad? Asking the best time to call, when they were told twice, email is better? E-sign? What is that?
Who exactly are you contacting then? Sounded like the LA in your OP. And actually in many states they can represent the transaction as a transaction broker vs a single agency agreement.

International buyers are much more common in some markets like LA, NYC, Miami. Truthfully I’m not sure how I would handle an international buyer. You like to think of yourself as a domestic buyer but you are overseas and that’s what is complicating things.

Anyway, you’ve been told not to go through Zillow, it’s been explained about spam filters and auto replies, we’ve told you it doesn’t come off as legit the way you’re going about it. But now you said you’re not using a BA in most markets and you’re not contacting the LA, so I’m massively confused at this point as to what you’re actually doing.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Stop making this harder than it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Sounds like you need a buyers agent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Hiring someone else to make those several initial contacts for you... maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

... get your own buyers agent ...
Or just take an extended vacation here to house hunt yourself.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:35 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Depending upon your experience and comfort level, there is nothing wrong with being an unrepresented Buyer. In fact, contacting a Listing Agent doesn't automatically make them your agent. The Listing Agent would usually need the written consent of the Seller for them to become a Dual Agent (if that is legally allowed in the particular state)...and no Seller in their right mind should agree to that, although some do.

If you do deal directly with a Listing Agent, however, take greater heed of the warning caveat emptor, because their fiduciary responsibility is to look out for the best interests of the Seller, not the Buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate