Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 05:47 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times

Advertisements

Seller insisted on closing early and then renting back from me for 7 weeks. This was Her timeline which was inconvenient for me because I had to close before I sold my other house.

about 3 weeks before she was to move out she emails to say she doesn't think she can do it, and can I push back my date for her. I said No. It was clear from the first time I saw the house that she would procrastinate about packing for her move. She hadn't even cleaned the house to show it. I explained that I had my own timeline, which I did. I had to move out of my rental and I'm a teacher so I start back to school. No wiggle room for me.

When I moved in, the house was empty, but not clean. It was, in fact, quite filthy in places. I had to pay someone $280 to clean it before I could move anything in. Dead roaches under the kitchen sink. It just reeked of dog and the baseboards were grimy. Why grimy? When I moved out, my baseboards were dusty, not grimy with stuck on...grossness.

and she took the washer and dryer which were in the contract. An older set. Today (two weeks after I moved in) I went out and bought a used set for $650.

My realtor contacted her realtor but of course we heard nothing back because her realtor was terrible. Literally a terrible communicator, crabby, didn't follow up on many essentials.

I emailed the atty on Wednesday, haven't heard back from him

I do not know if the seller was being deliberately spiteful, or passive aggressive, or old and forgetful. It's not really my business. She could have hired someone to clean.

What do you recommend as a next step? Should I just contact her directly and say, hey, I really think you should give me $ for cleaning and washer and dryer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 05:54 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,522,191 times
Unless specified in contract houses should be "broom clean". Ie...no large pieces of trash on floor. Not professionally cleaned.
Did you get a security deposit from the buyer at closing? You should have, as well as a temp residential lease. If so, keep the amount of the value of washer and dryer.
If you didnt, then shame on you and your agent. I would fileca complaintvwith your agent's broker for not doing a temp residential lease and getting sec dep. That is your realtor's job, to suggest things that protect you. I would ask broker to pay forvwasher and dryer becausevof their failure to protect you.
If that fails, you can file a complaint with your state real estate commission.
You. An also go to your city atty office and file a judgement for value of washer and dryer. It will cost underc100. To file depending upon city.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:32 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Just be done with her. Don't waste money on an attorney over a few hundred dollars, which is all an old W/D would be worth. I would just move on with life and leave the heartburn behind. It's simply not worth any more hassles.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:42 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
I agree that it's not worth the aggravation (strictly a personal response). You probably could pursue it, but at what cost?

Old 08-17-2019, 06:45 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I agree that it's not worth the aggravation (strictly a personal response). You probably could pursue it, but at what cost?

This, it's just some junk and people are jerks move on and enjoy life.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:16 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Unless specified in contract houses should be "broom clean". Ie...no large pieces of trash on floor. Not professionally cleaned.
Did you get a security deposit from the buyer at closing? You should have, as well as a temp residential lease. If so, keep the amount of the value of washer and dryer.
If you didnt, then shame on you and your agent. I would fileca complaintvwith your agent's broker for not doing a temp residential lease and getting sec dep. That is your realtor's job, to suggest things that protect you. I would ask broker to pay forvwasher and dryer becausevof their failure to protect you.
If that fails, you can file a complaint with your state real estate commission.
You. An also go to your city atty office and file a judgement for value of washer and dryer. It will cost underc100. To file depending upon city.
ohhh, interesting. The realtor was clear that the lease was my responsibility. I created one based on an online template (the same template I used when I rented my other house the previous year.) I didn't include a security deposit...didn't think it was necessary if I thought about it at all. Her realtor never bothered to send the signed copy of the lease to me! I'm pretty sure it was signed, but I don't have a copy.

I'm sorry, I think dead cockroaches under the kitchen sink would not fall under 'broom clean'.

I do think before I start filing complaints I could just contact the seller directly. I was friendly to her because, well, I'm friendly.

However, I could also let it go.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:16 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Just be done with her. Don't waste money on an attorney over a few hundred dollars, which is all an old W/D would be worth. I would just move on with life and leave the heartburn behind. It's simply not worth any more hassles.
Yep.

Not worth it. You already have a washer and dryer, and you're moved in. Time to forget about that mess and enjoy your new home.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:37 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
At this point it's probably best solved as a small claims issue if you want... you might win on both counts.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:21 AM

914 posts, read 642,700 times
They should be called out on taking the w/d. Isn't that called stealing?

On the other hand, life's not always fair. Once I sued movers for a few thousand and it was clearly in my favor to win. Long story short, it ended up costing me about the same as the compensation I was asking for and in addition, a whole lot of hours of effort (research, logistics). I'm still angry about that after nearly ten years.

They ended up making it impossible to collect without significant additional costs. I implied I would escalate and seek an attorney so they settled for about 1/4 of my losses with no regard for all my effort of building small claims court case.

It sucks, and at times people do too. Sorry that you were ripped off by these derelicts.

Last edited by settled00; 08-18-2019 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 08-18-2019, 03:18 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

I'm sorry, I think dead cockroaches under the kitchen sink would not fall under 'broom clean'.
Ick! If the house was infested and the seller recently had poison put down there might be "new" dead roaches showing up every day or so. But from your description, probably not the case.

I am in escrow for a new house now and though the house was left really clean, was surprised to find that the sellers had removed a lot of the fixtures. Curtain rods and pulleys, blinds, bathroom towel bars, shower curtain rods, shelves, a medicine cabinet, tv wall mount, a few light switchplates, etc. They did however leave all the holes. I'll have to patch and paint just about every wall. A nuisance, but doable...didn't like some of their color choices anyway. I don't think it was malicious, just novice homeowners whose agent didn't explain expectations. Funny, they did leave their "taste specific" lighting...dining room chandeliers draped with ropes of glass crystals in the bedrooms (low enough to bump your head on), a strange beaded glass flower-shaped pendant in the dining area, fakey brass candle flame sconces in the bathrooms, a style I like to call "trailer court Gothic."

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-18-2019 at 03:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate