Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 10:48 AM

92 posts, read 113,519 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a home in Austin & am peeved that Redfin publicly posted my sale price since TX is a non-disclosure state. Zillow, Trulia, etc do not for what it's worth...

I know a few realtors frequent this board so hopefully someone can shine some light on the subject. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 10:59 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I would say, "Ask Redfin."

Or, your local MLS people, who probably provided the information.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:16 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
I would complain to your department of real estate. Zillow, Trulia, etc are aggregators. Redfin is a brokerage.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:16 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Non disclosure simply means the price isn't reported to the register of deed or assessor's office in the county when a sale is made. There are circumstances under which the information can be shared.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 04-17-2015 at 11:50 AM..

Old 04-17-2015, 11:37 AM

I actually have pursued this course of action! But I have come to a dead end, was hoping someone with more knowledge could shed some light on the subject

Here's what I did so far...

(1) I asked Redfin. They said they publish whatever comes through the ACTRIS MLS and to contact them. Ok, cool

(2) So I contacted ACTRIS and they told me to contact the MLS :eyeroll:

(3) Then I contacted the MLS & someone got back to me to say that Redfin is a Realtor VOW (Virtual Office Website) which is a little different from the other publisher sites & the Department of Justice requires the MLS to allow VOWs to use their information

I don't really understand why it's OK for VOW sites to make this type of information public in a non-disclosure state though. Is this a federal ruling vs. states rights type of thing? I tried to Google for an answer but came up short

Anyone in the real estate industry able to explain?

Old 04-17-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Non disclosure simply means the price isn't reported to the register of deed or assessor's office in the county when a sale is made. It doesn't mean its illegal to make it public.
Rats

Old 04-17-2015, 11:44 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
VOW's are a technology that were supposed to allow online brokerages, like Redfin, be able to compete and not be forced into old ways of doing things. Clients were supposed to be allowed access to get CMA's and other data that agents normally run for their clients when they are looking at buying homes. That is the purpose of a VOW site.

So Redfin just makes people sign in for an account to get sold data, but you aren't a client of Redfin in the way that it was intended with the VOW policy. Since the DOJ was looking at MLSs for anti-trust issues, they kind of let Redfin do their thing, I think.

It isn't an issue in most states since that information gets recorded and is public, but you really need TexasHorseLady or FalconHeadWest to weigh in since they are agents in Texas.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centraleastaustinite View Post
I actually have pursued this course of action! But I have come to a dead end, was hoping someone with more knowledge could shed some light on the subject

Here's what I did so far...

(1) I asked Redfin. They said they publish whatever comes through the ACTRIS MLS and to contact them. Ok, cool

(2) So I contacted ACTRIS and they told me to contact the MLS :eyeroll:

(3) Then I contacted the MLS & someone got back to me to say that Redfin is a Realtor VOW (Virtual Office Website) which is a little different from the other publisher sites & the Department of Justice requires the MLS to allow VOWs to use their information

I don't really understand why it's OK for VOW sites to make this type of information public in a non-disclosure state though. Is this a federal ruling vs. states rights type of thing? I tried to Google for an answer but came up short

Anyone in the real estate industry able to explain?
According to this:

Texas Is A NONDISCLOSURE State....Did you know that?- HAR.com Blogs

"There is a critical sentence in the listing agreement in Broker Authority Section 11 D. 7 that allows Realtors to disclose your private information (protected by law) to the MLS. This section of the contract outlines the authority the Broker has as your agent.

Here is how it reads:

“ … disclose the sales price and terms of the sale to other brokers, appraisers, or other real estate professionals.”"

I would assume Redfin is, as a "VOW", considered a "real estate professional". You might want to check your agreement and see if it matches that.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centraleastaustinite View Post
Rats
I was slightly wrong there...there are limitations on the sharing of the information, see my post above for clarification. I'm still not sure there are actually any criminal or civil penalties for sharing the information outside of the authorized limits.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 04-17-2015 at 12:05 PM..

Old 04-17-2015, 12:20 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
It's because they're a Broker and not just a third party website buying information. Look at Realty Austin's website. They've decided to copy Redfin even with all the back-lash. Monkey see, monkey do even if it's not for the better of the clients.

By the end of the year, you're going to have many more brokerages posting this information also, just to compete. It's totally and completely wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate