Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 05:47 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,528,496 times

Advertisements

I have already done a Google but I get bogged down in advertising and spin.

Can I please get suggestions/ideas for selling my home myself. I am in a good area and I can handle people/paperwork.

I know I am going to need an MLS listing. How can I get that for little money. A friend can help me set up a website with pictures.

Many thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 06:06 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,188,044 times
Only a member of the mls can list your property. You can look for a discount real estate broker online. Some sites like Zillow let you offer fsbo but this is not part of a multiple listing service. You can also just stick a sign in your yard if your community allows it.

But first find a real estate attorney who will be willing to help an amateur at $250 per hour just to read the contract you write.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:34 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,047,825 times
Have you searched this forum? There is a ton of material on FSBO. I did a FSBO 3 years ago. Learned much from reading old threads and contributed in a few as well. Did not use MLS. It's all buried in this forum--both pros and cons.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:48 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,528,496 times
Thanks. I did dig but I guess not deep enough.

In my case I am going to need a MLS.

The better realtors in my area have retired or died off.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:35 AM

34,156 posts, read 83,217,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
FSBO Resources ?
The best is living in a not too old run of the mill development with a lot of other not too old run of the mill homes
with yours being in good to nice non-remodeled condition ...and that has good curb appeal.
Then all the lookie-loo's driving by to see all the other properties advertised for sale...

On point: Calling that home at a $225,000 negotiated sale contract price... How much of the (5%? ~$11,000?)
in time and services hidden within the sales commission ...would you expect to avoid by FSBO?

Old 10-03-2019, 09:05 AM

15,602 posts, read 40,531,828 times
Just google MLS only real estate, flat rate real estate, or limited representation real estate along with your city. That should pull up the agents that do MLS only entry if your state allows that.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:36 AM

106 posts, read 301,592 times
I used a flat feel MLS service. Cost me a whopping $99 for a 6 month listing on the MLS. They also provided the disclosure documents for my area.

I wouldn't recommend the service I used (xflatfeemls) simply because their disclosures were outdated (and still are), but luckily the buyers agent provided me with the updated forms.

Just an FYI....I offered the buyers agent a commission of 3% and through in a free 1 year home warranty. I saved a bundle by not using a listing agent. If you are interested in doing it yourself be sure to read up on what disclosures are required in your area.

Good luck!

Old 10-03-2019, 12:59 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,099,229 times
Zillow will let you list a property for free without being a Realtor. There's also Craig's List and Facebook Marketplace.

If you put "consideration to Realtors" or some such verbiage in your advertisement, then they will know that you'll pay their 3% portion of the usual sales commission and they will bring their clients to see your property. (Add in the 3% to your original asking price to cover Realtors) That will knock the usual 6% sales commission down by half to 3%, although that puts you back into the sales commission arena again.

It does seem that there is massive amounts more paperwork when a Realtor is involved and they like to play games with the transactions. Sometimes it seems it's more about doing the deal than getting it done. At least, for the Realtors we dealt with the last time we did a FSBO. After five weeks of fussing about with negotiations, the pending sale involving a Buyer's Agent fell through and we sold it to someone else not using a Realtor. That sale went through in four days.

In our area, all property documents have to be written up by an attorney. Since our local attorneys already have boilerplate documents, we paid their 2 hour minimum fee (at $150 per hour) and still had time left over. The property we bought with the proceeds from the FSBO was through a Realtor and we had to pay twice that amount using their attorney.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:47 PM

106 posts, read 301,592 times
FWIW....I listed my house on Zillow 2 days before it became Active in the MLS. Be prepared for a LOT of calls from listing agents trying to get you to list your home with them. Especially, beware of the "I have an active buyer" spiel some agents will use who are trying to get their foot in your front door in an attempt to get you to list with them. And if that isn't enough, be prepared to get a TONS of calls from investors with insultingly low-ball cash offers trying to entice you to sell to them.

I got so many calls from the Zillow listing, but none from qualified buyers who were ready to make an offer on my home. ended up having to mute my phone.

Just something to be prepared for if you decide to list on Zillow.

Your results may vary.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:30 PM

354 posts, read 275,825 times
Save yourself the trouble and hire a professional real estate agent that will manage and arrange for all the private showings with qualified prospective buyers, host open houses, focus on proper marketing, etc. There are so many cheap people in this world that don't realize how much actual time goes into listing a house and getting it sold. Also listing it on the market with a realtor will most likely get you more money. Most for sale by owners don't have a successful sale on their own... been there done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate