Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 09:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

We accepted an offer on our property when the "coming soon" sign was still up. It happens a lot in that area. I can't speak for other sellers, but we were 100% on the up and up. So was our realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 11:21 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We accepted an offer on our property when the "coming soon" sign was still up. It happens a lot in that area. I can't speak for other sellers, but we were 100% on the up and up. So was our realtor.
I'm curious as to why? Wouldn't you want as many people to have an opportunity to buy as possible? Did the buyer pay a higher than list place to compensate you for not putting the property on the market?

Old 10-09-2019, 11:38 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
so no agent ever showed your home - someone bought it "sight unseen" (except maybe some online photos)?

Old 10-18-2019, 03:11 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
As I was driving through town today I noticed that three of the houses on which "Coming Soon" signs were placed last week now have "Sale Pending" or "Sold" signs replacing the originals.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:29 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
As a consumer, I think many of you (agents) are crybabies.
You do realize that when the market shifts to a 100% buyers' market that this is all moot?
And, do prospective sellers really care about an agent's DoM stats?

Old 10-18-2019, 07:02 PM

yes, Sellers do. And legitimate DOM do matter.

I do not care when a well-informed Seller chooses a "not on MLS" listing, they don't use someone in my brokerage (so I don't hear about it), and they engage in a mutually-beneficial sale with someone not named my client.

I 100% completely agree that it is the Seller's option how they go about it.

What I do care about is unscrupulous agents that put a sign in the yard, slip a "pocket listing" form under a trusting Seller's nose, and then the Seller is quite unaware that not every agent in the area has the opportunity to show the home.

And I do care when a Seller allows a "Coming Soon" - with the "appropriate form" - where in our market that means ZERO buyers into the home during that time. And then magically the house is under contract.

It is true that agents are crybabies. Especially those that bend every rule amongst their peers to the breaking point solely for THEIR gain, not the Seller they represent.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Personal experience:

My realtor knew I was going to list my house with her, but I wanted to move out first. She asked if she could put a "Coming Soon" sign in my yard. I said sure. It was up for about a week.

While it was not listed, but I also wasn't living there (so I didn't see these people), a family stopped by and walked around the outside. Their realtor called my realtor and said they were dying to see the house. My realtor said "Not yet, the clients are moving and the house is a mess."

The SECOND it "went live" - and I do mean the second - they went inside. Within two hours of being listed, it was under contract.

So it does happen.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-19-2019 at 06:11 AM..

Old 10-19-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Personal experience:

My realtor knew I was going to list my house with her, but I wanted to move out first. She asked if she could put a "Coming Soon" sign in my yard. I said sure. It was up for about a week.

While it was not listed, but I also wasn't living there (so I didn't see these people), a family stopped by and walked around the outside. Their realtor called my realtor and said they were dying to see the house. My realtor said "Not yet, the clients are moving and the house is a mess."

The SECOND it "went live" - and I do mean the second - they went inside. Within two hours of being listed, it was under contract.

So it does happen.
I cannot say with certainty what she did was legal in your locale. I can tell you, based on what you've said, it would be illegal in my state because she was advertising your property (the sign in the yard) without ANY written agreement in place. As a matter of fact, I'd wonder if she gave them ANY information on your house prior to signing the listing agreement.

Imagine if she had entered it into the MLS as Coming Soon, such that it didn't require buyers and agents to happen upon the sign to know the house was coming on the market. Imagine if the day it was going live, appointments were lined up all day because 90%+ of the market of buyers knew about your home. Imagine if you got multiple offers, and wound up selling it either to some other Buyer, or even those Buyers, on better terms than you.

The question isn't how those unknowing buyers and agents felt about the situation though. It's how would you have felt. If you were perfectly satisfied with everything, then congratulations. The satisfaction of the represented party is our only obligation in such a circumstance.

But also imagine if that sign went in the yard and SHE landed and represented the Buyers based on them seeing the sign, and no other Realtor or buyer knew about the house.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I would not care a whit as long as the contract and closing were both clean.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:44 PM

agreed! thats why at the end I said:
Quote:
It's how would you have felt. If you were perfectly satisfied with everything, then congratulations. The satisfaction of the represented party is our only obligation in such a circumstance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate