Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 07:03 PM

337 posts, read 356,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No. It absolutely does not...
and regardless of how well it might have been remodeled to serve as living space.
(btw, this Q pops up 3 or 4 times a year here)

Good suggestion. How about asking the folks even higher up (where their standards are sources)?
I went to the city's building department and they refused to answer some questions and kept telling me to speak to an architect who is familiar with the city code. Even they don't have a direct answer. It is frustrating to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 03:37 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCareerGuy View Post
I went to the city's building department and they refused to answer some questions
and kept telling me to speak to an architect who is familiar with the city code.
That's outrageous.

Quote:
Even they don't have a direct answer (they're willing to share).
It is frustrating to say the least.
The realtors have strong juju in your county.

Back on point... you really do have a unique circumstance that might warrant a concession.
Good luck getting the powers there to settle on it for you.
= = = =

Most of the comments in this thread are about the typical suburban 1500sf rancher
with a 900sf lower level space remodeled after the home was built; sometimes it's even done well.
Some want to advertise that simply as a 2400sf (or even 3000sf) home...
and not have anyone question their motivation -- let alone the facts.

otoh... The same 1500SF rancher with a pop-up remodel (added 2nd storey) gets full SF credit.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:30 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
I smile reading this thread.
The last house we built was earth sheltered with three sides completely underground.
Does that mean I had a no story house?

Old 10-09-2019, 06:04 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I smile reading this thread.
The last house we built was earth sheltered with three sides completely underground.
Does that mean I had a no story house?
With no living area, apparently.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:21 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Really the question is whether that floor, or story or what ever you want to call it is useful or not.

Have a home that is considered a ranch, but has a huge walkout basement level. The walkout basement is more interesting and useful and appealing than the upper "first floor". And it is easier to heat and cool since a good portion of it is below grade.

I guess when it comes to selling the home it might matter in terms of how you advertise it. Right now ranch homes are in hot demand so calling it a "2 story" would not be advantageous. Not sure it's a huge deal either way.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:51 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Have a home that is considered a ranch, but has a huge walkout basement level. The walkout basement is more interesting and useful and appealing than the upper "first floor". And it is easier to heat and cool since a good portion of it is below grade.
Me too. Online it's listed as 2100 sf ranch, 4 bedrooms & 3 baths. In reality, it's 7 bedrooms, 4 baths, 2 laundry rooms, 2 kitchens. Appraiser could never find good comps.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:01 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Not sure it's a huge deal either way.
For the informed and experienced? Not so much.
But for the naive and ill-informed (buyer or seller) it can be a very big deal to have varying and 'local' standards.

Quote:
I guess when it comes to selling the home it (will) matter in terms of how you advertise it.
Correct. And how the lender's appraiser or the County will judge it for loan amount or taxation purposes.

(this topic became a pet peeve of mine when I was house shopping online)

Old 10-09-2019, 10:59 AM

124 posts, read 113,632 times
This is a VERY important question to get answered before purchasing a walk out home. We put in a full price offer on a walk out home and fortunately the value discrepancy was discovered during our appraisal. The value came back much lower than our offer and the seller was willing to accept the appraisal as sales price so our mortgage could go through. It was explained to us this was because of the reduced value of the lower level Sq. footage. We hadn't even considered this and we had a novice realtor who did not advise us. We saved $18,000 thanks to the appraisal.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:52 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
I am looking for a smaller house in VA. I see houses with a walk out basement. Many have a bedroom, sitting area, etc down at worm level. Frankly I consider this a finished basement. And there is no way I am paying big bucks for half the house in the basement..

Old 10-09-2019, 12:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
In our state (Michigan) walkout counts in square footage and bedroom bathroom count, but mere access does not. Thus we have two permitted bedrooms and a bathroom and a living room or game room (over 1000 s.;f; total finished living space) in our basement with four access/egress points, but none of it counts because we do not have one wall of he basement sticking out of the ground.

Not sure whether walkout counts as a story or not. It may be discretionary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate