Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 06:16 AM

53 posts, read 45,268 times

Advertisements

A saw a house that clearly had a fake fire in the fireplace photos and taken in the summer and the seller disclosure revealed that the firebox was cracked and in person I could see the chimney was missing quite a bit of grout/motor visible from the outside.

My question is, is it legal to represent the fireplace as working in the pictures when they had no intention to fix it since it would be sold "as is."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 06:34 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagoodneighbor2 View Post
A saw a house that clearly had a fake fire in the fireplace photos and taken in the summer and the seller disclosure revealed that the firebox was cracked and in person I could see the chimney was missing quite a bit of grout/motor visible from the outside.

My question is, is it legal to represent the fireplace as working in the pictures when they had no intention to fix it since it would be sold "as is."

They should certainly have a disclaimer that the house has been digitally enhanced. I saw one last year where the photos showed chandeliers when there actually weren't even electrical boxes in the ceiling. Yuck.

Unfortunately, many agents don't look for flaws in their listings.
And, this may be a case where they used a professional photographer who did their own thing without recognizing the need to disclose.
Many agents don't even attend photo shoots on their new listings, if you can believe that.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:25 AM

143 posts, read 385,895 times
I hate this trend of "digitally enhanced" photos in listings. But at least they are usually pretty easy to spot, because the people doing it just can't restrain themselves enough to keep it looking realistic.

My wife and I were just talking about listing photos the other day. We often make fun of the terrible photos we see. But it's almost as bad for the photos to be too good, because then when you see the house in person, it's a let down. We've had that experience several times over the past few weeks. Best to find the balance where the photos look good enough to attract showings, but not so good that the reality can't live up to the expectation.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
My favorite is the giant McMansion down the street, built on a tiny weird pie shaped lot. There's one house next to it, separated by maybe 20 feet; one house behind it, also separated by maybe 20 feet (!) and the other two sides are a street corner. When they put it up for sale it was described as an "Estate" and all the surroundings were photoshopped out so it looked like it was up on a hill with nothing but sky and trees all around.

I'm sorry, but unless you have tenant farmers, or you can keep a herd of livestock, it certainly isn't an "Estate". And I'd be pretty brassed off if I came in from out of town and agreed to see this multimillion dollar monstrosity based on that manipulated photo and then found out that my back yard was a spacious 10 feet deep.

But you know how it is with sales people.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:52 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
My favorite is the giant McMansion down the street, built on a tiny weird pie shaped lot. There's one house next to it, separated by maybe 20 feet; one house behind it, also separated by maybe 20 feet (!) and the other two sides are a street corner. When they put it up for sale it was described as an "Estate" and all the surroundings were photoshopped out so it looked like it was up on a hill with nothing but sky and trees all around.

I'm sorry, but unless you have tenant farmers, or you can keep a herd of livestock, it certainly isn't an "Estate". And I'd be pretty brassed off if I came in from out of town and agreed to see this multimillion dollar monstrosity based on that manipulated photo and then found out that my back yard was a spacious 10 feet deep.

But you know how it is with sales people.
Sometimes Google Maps Satellite or Street View can be your very best friend.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:53 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
I don't like the ones that use fake views out the windows. I never see disclaimers that these listings are digitally enhanced.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:02 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
Article 12 of the NAR Code of Ethics states: "REALTORS® shall be honest and truthful in their real estate communications and shall present a true picture in their advertising, marketing, and other representations."

Some of the things mentioned here appear like they could be considered a violation of the COE.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:10 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
There seems to be a tendency to enhance pictures, descriptions, measurements and whatever to attract potential buyers. Near the beach/water (our area), an entire set of 'code phrases' are employed to paint this unrealistic picture.

I've concluded that the offending realtors are simply hoping to attract potential buyers they can direct to "other" properties -- OR hoping they can 'sell' the listed property, even though it differs from the pics and description. (It's sort of a 'bait and switch' approach to real estate).

Old 11-05-2019, 01:14 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
When you think about it a "fake" photo could simply be a matter of age. While searching for a potential home in a new town of course I picked properties to visit based on listing photos. Of course we toured them in person. One listing showed a lovely modest older log home with a well established fenced garden and detached shop that was large enough to convert to a garage.

Reality was so utterly different from the photos we kept bypassing the place thinking it couldn't possibly be the house we were looking for. The cute manicured garden was waist high weeds and brush. Alder and spruce trees at least 10 years old. The driveway itself was barely visible through the grass. That "shop" had a flimsy rotted plywood floor that wouldn't support the weight of a moped. The gate in that fence was held up by the padlock...the gate collapsed as we unlocked it. The house itself was a wreck...the wall in the front room shook as we shut the front door. Floors flexed, exposed wires snaked everywhere. Windows fogged, stairway to the second floor looked so unsafe we didn't risk it. Photos obviously couldn't describe the stink of mildew and cigarette smoke. My realtor was stunned. I actually felt sorry for what had probably been a nice little house.

Those listing photos might have reflected the condition of the house accurately...back in 1985.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:08 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
A heads up for buyers: inspect very carefully and pay for a well qualified inspector to go over the house before you buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate